Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

They Are Billions Released

Steam News announces the release of They Are Billions on Steam, saying the Windows post-apocalyptic steampunk strategy game carries a 10% launch discount. This is set on a distant planet, reminding us that our universe contains billions and billions of stars. The game was previously in Early Access, and this trailer shows off the new campaign that's part of its official launch. Here's the pitch:

They Are Billions is a strategy game in a distant future about building and managing human colonies after a zombie apocalypse destroyed almost all of human kind. Now there are only a few thousand humans left alive that must struggle to survive under the threat of the infection. Billions of infected roam around the world in massive swarms seeking the last living human colonies.

Lead the campaign under the orders of Quintus Crane, ruler of the New Empire, and reconquer the lands devastated by the infected.

• 48 missions with more than 60 hours of gameplay.
  • Build fortified colonies to survive in infected territories
  • Destroy the swarms of infected with the Imperial Army.
  • Make your colonies evolve with more than 90 available technologies.
  • Explore the ancient human fortresses with your Hero.
  • Discover the story behind the apocalypse... how did the pandemic start?

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 10:14 RedEye9

JoeNapalm wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 10:01:
Nice Sagan reference, Blue.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Dr. Carl Sagan

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
When Carl was knee-high to a grasshopper he said "millions and millions".

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 10:09 MoreLuckThanSkill

Kxmode wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 09:17:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 07:52:
It's not overly complex, but one small break or weakness in your defense will quickly kill/infect large portions of most city setups. Your civilians are stupid as can be and do NOT run fast enough to not get immediately infected if you don't wall them in and defend them appropriately.

That sounds exactly like the Jerusalem scene from World War Z!

Very similar, except most of the zombies can't climb walls or jump real high, so they just bash the gates/walls down over time. Until they get sawn in half by your gatling towers, of course.

Verno is right to a certain extent, you can get RNG screwed in your map's choke points in the survival mode. I'm assuming they've tested the campaign maps and/or the campaign maps are less random? Haven't played a ton yet.

*EDIT* Just fired up the game a few minutes ago(06-19-2019), looks like there was a bit of a balance patch already. The mission durations for the Campaign have been extended, and I think total number requirements for City Population etc. have been reduced, making it overall a little easier. Maps in the campaign appear to be static as well, so less RNG bad spawn /no chokepoint games in the campaign.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2019, 13:56.

15. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 10:01 JoeNapalm

Nice Sagan reference, Blue.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Dr. Carl Sagan

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

14. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 09:17 Kxmode

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 07:52:
It's not overly complex, but one small break or weakness in your defense will quickly kill/infect large portions of most city setups. Your civilians are stupid as can be and do NOT run fast enough to not get immediately infected if you don't wall them in and defend them appropriately.

That sounds exactly like the Jerusalem scene from World War Z!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

13. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 09:11 Verno

I haven't played this in awhile but when I did the world gen was all fucked up. You would have to reset your world gen several times to get something that was even viable. If you didn't you could waste hours getting to a break point where you realized the world gen fucked you due to lack of a specific resource or bad placement of a resource.

It was OK but felt like games took too long as well. I don't know what's changed since then but the campaign portion sounds interesting.

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

12. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 07:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Oh yeah, for the record, this is a hard game even on 'normal' settings.

There's definitely an optimal build path and defensive setups; part of the fun of the game for me though is finding those out, albeit the hard way usually. Also some aspects definitely seem to be a little different from the last time I played, AND in the campaign so far I'm missing units and tech(assuming they get unlocked later).

No D towers early on = much harder in the campaign early game than even the sandbox mode, honestly. No option but to spam rangers and walls.

Micro-ing groups of ranger to clear random standing/walking zombies before the main rushes comes is required in any game mode also. Otherwise they ALL come at you later.

11. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 04:25 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 02:34:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 01:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 22:27:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 21:49:
Also, 12,231 people have rated the game on Steam.
The majority are labelled EARLY ACCESS REVIEW.
Have to wait and see what leaving the EA program does for sales and reviews.

70% so far based on launch reviews.

Sounds like the campaign is just too hard. Hopefully that gets tweaked.

I lost my first mission! Didn't set up a ranger patrol and hundreds died/got zombified! Awesome! Feels about the same as survival so far, but with an easier, smoother onramp (Less options to start with, shorter/smaller maps initially) and like survival, you have control over the difficulty. Just gotta swallow your manly pride and knock that baby down to 50/25% difficulty until you become one of those 800% survival god nerds that complain about it being too easy! God knows it took me a long time to graduate from zombie food minimal difficulty embarrassment in Survival, and even then I wouldn't brag about it. I love RTS but I was never good at it.

10. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 03:39 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 02:34:

Or use a cheat to offset the difficulty.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

9. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 02:34 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 01:48:

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 02:28 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jun 19, 2019, 01:06:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 23:21:
I bought this back in Early Access, probably a year ago. If you like building massive forts, and having enemies run up to those forts and get annihilated by your insane defense(or destroy your town because your plan was flawed) then this is probably the game for you.

To be fair, I haven't played it for awhile; I had 20+ hours in the EA version, which was basically a sandbox only mode(timed). I'm looking forward to the missions, should be awesome!

I think I put it aside during EA right before they added the trains.

same. it was an awesome zombie defense game. do we get the full version, we that bought early access?

From the announcement:

"At last, They Are Billions reaches version 1.0. We are leaving the Early Access and the great Campaign, The New Empire, will be available for all players."

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 01:48 Kxmode

6. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 01:36 Kxmode

I bought this back in Early Access, probably a year ago. If you like building massive forts, and having enemies run up to those forts and get annihilated by your insane defense(or destroy your town because your plan was flawed) then this is probably the game for you.

I DO like that! Kind of like a Total War but for base building / tower defense. Cool!

Right now I'm playing Tyranny and occasionally pop into GW2. I am also working on a new Elsweyr guide for the Zygor Guide addon. The Zygor team dropped support before Summerset. So I've been maintaining it as best I can ever since. Lua script is not a language I'm familiar with, but I like the challenge, and it feels good to help the ESO community.

5. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 01:06 1badmf

To be fair, I haven't played it for awhile; I had 20+ hours in the EA version, which was basically a sandbox only mode(timed). I'm looking forward to the missions, should be awesome!

same. it was an awesome zombie defense game. do we get the full version, we that bought early access?

4. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 18, 2019, 23:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

3. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 18, 2019, 22:27 RedEye9

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

2. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 18, 2019, 22:13 jacobvandy

I've been waiting for this! The campaign, I mean, even though the survival mode is a lot of fun, too.  

1. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 18, 2019, 21:49 Kxmode

Looks like a solid city-builder game. Like the steampunk art style and theme. I'll add it to my Wishlist and I wish the Numantian team all the best!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo