Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

It seems we finally have set dates for moving the BlueTower. According to the plan, we will sell our current home a week from today and buy our new one a week from Thursday. But the process has been so fraught with setbacks, this is one of those I'll believe it when I see it dealies. Presuming this all does go off as planned, it will make for a complicated week, which will involve packing up and moving out the remainder of our stuff on Monday, spending a couple of days in the middle of the week in a hotel, moving some of our stuff in on Friday, but probably having to wait a few days or more to get whatever else we already have in storage delivered. It certainly will be a relief when all the dust settles, but it's still seems like a long way to go before we get to that point.

Mobile Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Exit 84.
Stories: Warners Wins Bidding For Bad Robot.
Science: Astronomers Have Spotted a New Crater on Mars That's Like Nothing They've Ever Seen. Not even a TV logo.
Can Marijuana Help Cure the Opioid Crisis? Thanks j.c.f.
'Flesh-Eating' Bacteria May Be Spreading to Beaches Once Thought Off-Limits. Here's Why. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: The Boys - Official Trailer (NSFW). Thanks Neutronbeam.
DANGEROUS Road to Munsiyari, Uttarakhand - Himalayan Roads. Thanks Boing Boing.
Crazy Cricket Commentary, Animated.
Follow-up: Can gut bacteria cause autism (in mice)? Thanks Max.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2019, 03:36 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 21:03:
SunnyD wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 20:53:
As a Necromonger commander, Underverse take your breeder behinds!
~Finis~
They have yet to make a bad Riddick.

Agreed. I quite like the Riddick franchise especially The Chronicles of Riddick.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 21:03 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 20:35:
Actually, that movie deserves it's own place in Hell to torture poor souls.
I rewatched it a couple months ago, it no age to well.
SunnyD wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 20:53:
~Finis~
They have yet to make a bad Riddick.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 20:53 SunnyD

Kxmode wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 20:20:
Ant wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 19:37:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 16:36:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 12:14:
The Boys may be watchable.

Karl Urban is always watchable.
Like in DOOM movie?

Like in Star Trek ya green-blooded wulcan.

~Finis~

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 20:35 jdreyer

Like in DOOM movie?

Especially the Doom movie!

Actually, that movie deserves it's own place in Hell to torture poor souls.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 20:20 Kxmode

Like in DOOM movie?

Like in Star Trek ya green-blooded wulcan.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 19:58 1badmf

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 13:17:
Nimh wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 12:52:
Last time we moved we ended up loading up a 26' truck and just parking it at a gated self-storage facility for a week until we could move in to the new place. It was a better option to pay a little extra for the truck than to load/unload twice. For what it's worth.
That is a great life tip.

Good luck on the move Blue. We feel your pain, excitement, dread...

i don't know if it's offered back east, but there's a company called Pods or something like that, that will drop off a storage crate (size of your choosing) at your old place, you load it up, they'll store it however long you need, then they'll transport it to your new place when you specify. helped a friend load up his pod a few years ago.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 19:57 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 16:27:
'Flesh-Eating' Bacteria May Be Spreading to Beaches Once Thought Off-Limits. Here's Why.

"And a 60-year-old man who went crabbing and ate a dozen crabs from the Delaware Bay developed progressive swelling in his right leg. He required surgery to relieve pressure in his leg. But his condition worsened and spread to his other limbs; doctors eventually needed to amputate all four limbs, though the man did survive."

Good times.
FEBs's would like to thank everyone Love for warming up the ocean and expanding their habitat. Love2

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 19:37 Ant

Like in DOOM movie?

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

19. Moving... Jun 18, 2019, 19:36 Ant

Good luck, Blue! Moving is in a pain in the arse even if it is just a cubicle. I haven't been checking here much like I used to, but where is Blue moving to? LA?

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2019, 20:13.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 19:18 Kxmode

panbient wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 17:15:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 16:34:
It begs several questions.

1. Have these organisms always existed in the Atlantic (as this is where most hurricanes form)?

I don't think it's specific to the Atlantic. Typhoons are the same weather phenomena after all and there are cases of FEB in Asia. Whether or not it's on their beaches yet (or they're willing to acknowledge as much) is a whole other matter.

That much is certain. I've no doubts cases of the Vibrio vulnificus caused by Typhoon Haiyan/Super Typhoon Yolanda in 2013 exist. However, with countries like the Philippines, a flesh-eating virus could mask itself among other illnesses caused by the country's less than ideal sanitary conditions. It also doesn't help that government officials live in a fantasy bubble. In first-world nations, in the aftermath of a significant weather event over regional oceans, it is much easier to spot them due to their rapidly growing geographical anomaly.

At least that's how the evidence looks to me.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 17:34 Strider83

Good luck on the move Blue, hope it all goes well!  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 17:15 panbient

Kxmode wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 16:34:

1. Have these organisms always existed in the Atlantic (as this is where most hurricanes form)?

I don't think it's specific to the Atlantic. Typhoons are the same weather phenomena after all and there are cases of FEB in Asia. Whether or not it's on their beaches yet (or they're willing to acknowledge as much) is a whole other matter.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 16:36 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 16:34 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 11:01:
FEB (flesh eating bacteria) at your favorite beach.
Another benefit of Global Warming. Allthumbsup

Though not in the direct path, Delaware was the state hit hardest by Hurricane Sandy. The flesh-eating bacteria is not entirely the direct result of global warming, but the result of hurricanes bringing these dangerous sea-based organisms inland and along beaches. However, climate change is directly responsible for more powerful hurricanes. So it's a domino effect.

> 2017, Hurricane Harvey - reference 1, reference 2, reference 3

> 2005, Hurricane Katrina - reference, was then referred to Vibrio Illnesses

There's evidence that this illness appeared after Hurricane Andrew in 1992 but people weren't calling it Vibrio. Actually, they didn't know what it was.

2. Is there any evidence that climate change is mutating benign organisms into deadly monsters?
3. Are the organisms adapting to changes in their environment that cause them to be more carnivorous?
4. Is there any evidence that large tropical storms can carry these organisms to other areas in the Atlantic, and if so, do they survive and thrive?

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2019, 16:50.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 16:27 jdreyer

'Flesh-Eating' Bacteria May Be Spreading to Beaches Once Thought Off-Limits. Here's Why.

"And a 60-year-old man who went crabbing and ate a dozen crabs from the Delaware Bay developed progressive swelling in his right leg. He required surgery to relieve pressure in his leg. But his condition worsened and spread to his other limbs; doctors eventually needed to amputate all four limbs, though the man did survive."

Good times.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 16:23 jdreyer

Can Marijuana Help Cure the Opioid Crisis?

TL;DR: "Correlation does not mean causation." More research needs to be done.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 15:47 panbient

That new Mars crater is amazing. Thanks for providing space news on the regular.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 14:53 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 14:04:
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/clutter_2x.png

Pretty much!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 14:27 Hoop

I've started a business that will move all your wireless contained within your old home & transport it to your new premises. We charge by volume & guarantee discretion.  

Um .. Behind you...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 14:04 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 13:45:
Best of luck on your move, Blue.

I'm too old to be moving my own shit anymore so I always hire movers. Also, I have a rule. If we haven't touched or used something in six months, it has to go before we move.

Makes moves faster, easier, and less expensive.
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/clutter_2x.png

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo