Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Today is the 25th anniversary of the slow-speed chase of O.J. Simpson in the famed white Bronco. To this day my impression of this remains complete annoyance, as coverage of the fiasco interrupted the broadcast of game five of the NBA finals between the Knicks and the Rockets. It seemed ridiculous to cut away from a live sports championship to cover a news story that every other channel was already showing. It also seems pretty shameful that all the coverage seemed to be motivated by the fear of missing out on the chance to potentially broadcast a celebrity suicide on live TV.

R.I.P.: Gloria Vanderbilt, NY icon and mother of Anderson Cooper, dead at 95.

Bronco Speed Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Ghosts Took My Camera.
Links: The Sharp Decline In Original Movies From 1980 To 2018.
Watch Adam Savage make a flying Iron Man suit in his new show, Savage Builds.
Media: Everything About Grain Bins - Smarter Every Day.
A Very Cool Demonstration Of Owls' Insane Flying Precision.
Beagle Avoids Eye Contact When Asked to Take Bath. Awww.
Follow-up: Russians Now Want To Ban "Chernobyl."
The Funnies: Instagram photo by Dave McElfatrick.
Skeleton Claw Comics — THE NEXT JOHN WICK.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 03:34 bigspender

A Very Cool Demonstration Of Owls' Insane Flying Precision.

meh, I used to be able to do the same thing when I was fast foot addict and someone placed a chicken nugget behind people...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 02:11 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 17:06:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 15:23:
The Sharp Decline In Original Movies From 1980 To 2018.

Not sure what to think here. The chart shows the increasing domination of films "Based on Previously Existing Fictional Work." I hate remakes and soft reboots of previous films. I'm lukewarm on sequels. However, I'm all for making movies based on other media such as comics or novels or short stories. That's how we got Game of Thrones, The Expanse, Altered Carbon, and Arrival.
I'm more concerned about the decline of original video games.

There are gobs of original video games. Look at Anthem, wasn't that great?

Seriously though, all the good original stuff comes from indies.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Style Definitions Jun 18, 2019, 00:02 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 23:48:
- Entropism
- Neomilitarism
- Kitsch
- Neokitsch

neat

18. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Style Definitions Jun 17, 2019, 23:48 Kxmode

- Entropism
- Neomilitarism
- Kitsch
- Neokitsch

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2019, 23:10 DarkV

Dirwulf wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 16:32:
Anyone remember the Baba Booey Peter Jennings got during the chase?

AL Michaels had to correct it lol.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/its-the-20-year-anniversary-of-the-greatest-prank-call-1592186096

I'll always remember that call in. I see OJ and he looks scared.

Blue, caught this too as we watched the Knicks beat the Rockets on the way to a championship that never happened. At least I had the Rangers winning the cup 3 days before.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2019, 22:37 Heltorne

Dirwulf wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 16:32:

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/its-the-20-year-anniversary-of-the-greatest-prank-call-1592186096

HAHAHAHA! I wasn't quite into Stern just yet at the time so I never knew about this, that's hilarious

15. Re: The Sharp Decline In Original Movies From 1980 To 2018. Jun 17, 2019, 18:31 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 18:24:
Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 17:01:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 16:55:
Yup. 1984 was a great year for original movies!
- Police Academy
- The Natural
- The Neverending Story
- Firestarter

Pfft. The Neverending Story is based on a book - it's right in the movie! Firestarter is also based on a book, as is The Natural, and Police Academy shouldn't be on best-of lists, even if it truly didn't get repulsive until the sequels, haha.

Whoops. My mistake about The Neverending Story and Firestarter. Still a good year though.

Undeniably.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: The Sharp Decline In Original Movies From 1980 To 2018. Jun 17, 2019, 18:24 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 17:01:
- Police Academy
- The Natural
- The Neverending Story
- Firestarter

Pfft. The Neverending Story is based on a book - it's right in the movie! Firestarter is also based on a book, as is The Natural, and Police Academy shouldn't be on best-of lists, even if it truly didn't get repulsive until the sequels, haha.

Whoops. My mistake about The Neverending Story and Firestarter. Still a good year though.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2019, 17:06 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 15:23:

Not sure what to think here. The chart shows the increasing domination of films "Based on Previously Existing Fictional Work." I hate remakes and soft reboots of previous films. I'm lukewarm on sequels. However, I'm all for making movies based on other media such as comics or novels or short stories. That's how we got Game of Thrones, The Expanse, Altered Carbon, and Arrival.
I'm more concerned about the decline of original video games.

“If the government is covering up knowledge of aliens, they are doing a better job of it than they do at anything else.”
- Stephen Hawking

12. Re: The Sharp Decline In Original Movies From 1980 To 2018. Jun 17, 2019, 17:01 Beamer

- Police Academy
- The Natural
- The Neverending Story
- Firestarter

-------------

11. Re: The Sharp Decline In Original Movies From 1980 To 2018. Jun 17, 2019, 16:55 Kxmode

- Ghostbusters
- Gremlins
- The Terminator
- The Karate Kid
- Beverly Hills Cop
- Amadeus
- Red Dawn
- Romancing the Stone
- Police Academy
- Once Upon a Time in America
- This is Spinal Tap
- Sixteen Candles
- The Natural
- The Neverending Story
- Footloose
- The Last Starfighter
- Starman
- Top Secret
- Firestarter

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2019, 16:32 Dirwulf

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2019, 15:23 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Morning Patches Jun 17, 2019, 15:16 jdreyer

TheBigVlad wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 14:51:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 14:07:
Simon Says wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 13:40:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 11:18:
Russia, you never go full Streisand.

To be fair, there are lots of inaccuracies with the miniserie ( see
this ), but to go to such lengths is a bit nuts...
She missed the part about the show being a DocuDrama.

Yea, I've been seeing a lot online lately about how the show wasn't 100% accurate. Like... no shit? It got everything right that it needed to get right. People enjoy nitpicking I guess.

I'm reminded of the Steve Jobs movie. Someone close to Jobs (supposedly Steve Wozniak) said of the movie, "None of it is true, but all of it is true." It's possible to capture the essence of something while changing the details to create a better narrative experience.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2019, 14:52 Deathbishop

If you haven't already, watch the ESPN 30 for 30 O.J., Made in America. Goes into the behind the scenes of the entire day, including how NBCSports was virtually powerless to not show the bronco chase (the look on Costas face tells it all). What's wild is there were multiple sporting moments that happen on that day and the bronco chase superceeded all of it. Riley even got a question about it in the press conference after the game.  

6. Re: Morning Patches Jun 17, 2019, 14:51 TheBigVlad

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 17, 2019, 14:07:

Yea, I've been seeing a lot online lately about how the show wasn't 100% accurate. Like... no shit? It got everything right that it needed to get right. People enjoy nitpicking I guess.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2019, 14:07 RedEye9

“If the government is covering up knowledge of aliens, they are doing a better job of it than they do at anything else.”
- Stephen Hawking

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2019, 13:40 Simon Says

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2019, 13:03 Red886

like the US, Russia is not spared from loony bin politicians.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2019, 11:57 Beamer

The main pubic impact was the networks realizing how cheap and profitable it is to show celebrities being idiots (an understatement/mischaracterization here, but close), and the Kardashians, which ties back to the first point.  
-------------

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo