Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended

The Fallout 76 Website has word from Bethesda that they are extending beta testing of Nuclear Winter, the new battle royale mode for Fallout 76. Here's word:
We’ve been blown away by the reactions and responses we’ve been seeing all week to Nuclear Winter. It has been so amazing to read all your experiences and see everything you’ve been sharing. There are so many incredible up-and-coming Overseers! Vault 51 is lucky.

With all the excitement and popularity, we wanted to let you know that the pre-beta sneak peek of Nuclear Winter will remain on and continue to receive updates, so keep sharing your feedback. There’s more to come! Thank you again for playing, sharing, and being the best community there is.
View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 16, 2019, 23:45 bjack

This game deserved every bit of the hate at launch.

I just tried the free trial and it's actually not that bad ... after several months of post-launch improvements.

I won't be buying it at this time, but if I had friends to play along with, I just might. Meanwhile I can go back to playing Fallout 4 alone and see how Fallout 4.5 76 continues to develop. Let's face it: Fallout 5 is now a decade away.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 16, 2019, 16:23 jdreyer

robdot wrote on Jun 16, 2019, 11:53:
This "game", is an abomination that no reasonable person can defend. They made a game where your armor degrades, then want to sell you armor repair kits, Or the color blue,for 15 bucks. It was created solely to steal money from stupid kids. Period.

While I hate SaaS, I see the attraction to game makers: a fairly steady revenue stream for many months or years. However, it would be nice if devs followed the example set forth by Path of Exile.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 16, 2019, 16:20 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Jun 16, 2019, 13:10:
Hell the first battle royale of any significance I remember, the H1Z1 battle royale mode, was itself an attempt to rebrand a failing game. The genre basically started as a last ditch effort.

Worked for Fortnite, to the tune of $3 billion in profit per year. So you can see the attraction, shitty though it may be.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

14. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 16, 2019, 14:57 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2019, 21:31:
The hate towards FO76 was never really warranted, even at launch. Its biggest flaw was that it was a multiplayer spin-off instead of FO5. That's why most of its critics never even played it. However, it actually plays very much like FO4. You still spend the majority of your time exploring, killing, scavenging and crafting. There are still NPCs, they're just robots. There are still tons of interesting POIs and lore to discover too. As with any BGS game, there are bugs and the UI is still awful but at least mods help with the latter.
I disagree. Fallout 4 was lacklustre due to the dated engine and familiar gameplay, yet it still had appeal. Fallout 76 was an abortion of a game that stripped out everything that made a Bethesda game compelling - it had no NPCs, no compelling quests, no ability to mod the game and was supported by a company with no experience maintaining an online service.

Bethesda wanted recurrent monetisation and to cash-in on the Fallout brand name. The backlash means that the company has to tread very carefully when it comes to the next Elder Scrolls game, as it won't be able to get away with the same dated engine and buggy gameplay.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

13. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 16, 2019, 13:10 NKD

Hell the first battle royale of any significance I remember, the H1Z1 battle royale mode, was itself an attempt to rebrand a failing game. The genre basically started as a last ditch effort.  

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

12. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 16, 2019, 12:00 Steele Johnson

Slapping a Battle Royale mode onto a failing game hasn’t happened before. What a brilliant idea! At least it gives the shills some leverage.  

11. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 16, 2019, 11:53 robdot

This "game", is an abomination that no reasonable person can defend. They made a game where your armor degrades, then want to sell you armor repair kits, Or the color blue,for 15 bucks. It was created solely to steal money from stupid kids. Period.  

10. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 16, 2019, 10:59 El Pit

Winter is coming staying!  

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

9. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 15, 2019, 22:15 Acleacius

While I haven't played yet, my full support even with bugs could have easily come with private servers and full mod support. I will probably get around to it one day, if not oh well.

I for one am glad the game review community stood up to bethesda's craptastic release. Angry Joe or The 1001 Glitches of Fallout 76 (3 hours of filmed bugs/glitches) and 6 months later Internet Historian

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 15, 2019, 21:31 Jerykk

The hate towards FO76 was never really warranted, even at launch. Its biggest flaw was that it was a multiplayer spin-off instead of FO5. That's why most of its critics never even played it. However, it actually plays very much like FO4. You still spend the majority of your time exploring, killing, scavenging and crafting. There are still NPCs, they're just robots. There are still tons of interesting POIs and lore to discover too. As with any BGS game, there are bugs and the UI is still awful but at least mods help with the latter.

I imagine they'll launch the game on Steam once the Wastelanders content is out, as the lack of human NPCs and traditional RPG elements was easily the biggest complaint about the game.

7. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 15, 2019, 21:20 jacobvandy

Frijoles wrote on Jun 15, 2019, 16:06:
Didn't they mention this coming to Steam some time? I figured I'd try it when it does, if it's cheap.

Yeah, but it was a vague release window like 'late 2019.' I'm sure they'll try to sell for full price at first, too, but it'll come down quick.

6. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 15, 2019, 20:41 EUTHANIZE

Been playing this since December and totally hooked. It definitely had (and has) its share of issues, but if you are the slightest bit of a Fallout fan it is worth a look right now.

It is basically co-op Fallout with a light survival/building element and while you can easily solo it is a blast with friends. The community is very supportive as well.

If you want to see some good coverage of what the game entails, watch some Youtube vids from norespawns, Final Render, JuiceHead & Darth Xion.

My biggest hope after playing this is that Bethesda takes this tech and makes a co-op ES game down the line. For me that would be a dream come true.

5. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 15, 2019, 16:56 CJ_Parker

Bill Borre wrote on Jun 15, 2019, 16:13:
I've been playing the trial the last three days and was disconnected yesterday and the day before. I don't think I've ever lost a connection to ESO so I'm not sure why the discrepancy.

The discrepancy is:

- Fallout 76: Developed and operated by Bethesda Game Studios
- Elder Scrolls Online: Developed and operated by Zenimax Online Studios

Bethesda Game Studios: A studio with over two decades of history developing offline single player games. Fallout 76 is their first real online game.

Zenimax Online Studios: A studio specifically founded to develop and operate The Elder Scrolls Online with many, many developers who have worked on online games before.

4. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 15, 2019, 16:13 Bill Borre

I've been playing the trial the last three days and was disconnected yesterday and the day before. I don't think I've ever lost a connection to ESO so I'm not sure why the discrepancy.  

3. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 15, 2019, 16:06 Frijoles

Didn't they mention this coming to Steam some time? I figured I'd try it when it does, if it's cheap.  

2. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 15, 2019, 15:32 Luke

Beta testing..so it is released  

1. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 15, 2019, 15:22 Rhett

I admit, bought the game right before they announced the free trial.. The game is legit. They've seemingly done a lot of work, and it's well worth the $18 (retail) or $30 (currently half off digitally) if you enjoyed any of the recent Fallout games. Recommended with friends, obviously.

Can't speak for the BR, but I've heard a lot of good things too.

Also can't deny the game had a horrendous start, especially the preorder garbage, but the game at least is pretty good. I think Anthem one-upping them on absolutely god-awful game launches and support must have helped, heh.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >