Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support

NVIDIA announces they've partnered with CD Project RED to bring Ray Tracing support to Cyberpunk 2077, the upcoming sci-fi role-playing game. Here's the plan:

For Cyberpunk 2077, we’ve partnered with CD PROJEKT RED as an official technology partner to bring real-time ray tracing to the game.

“Cyberpunk 2077 is an incredibly ambitious game, mixing first person perspective and deep role-playing, while also creating an intricate and immersive world in which to tell this story. We believe the world of Cyberpunk will greatly benefit from the realistic lighting that ray tracing delivers,” said Matt Wuebbling, head of GeForce marketing at NVIDIA.

For a first look at real-time ray tracing in Cyberpunk 2077, check out these exclusive 4K gameplay screenshots:

“Ray tracing allows us to realistically portray how light behaves in a crowded urban environment,” said Adam Badowski, Head of Studio, CD PROJEKT RED. “Thanks to this technology, we can add another layer of depth and verticality to the already impressive megacity the game takes place in.”

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 22:43 G.oZ

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 20:52:
how light behaves in a crowded urban environment

It bounces off a pizza carrying rat and refracts thru the wings of a dead cockroach.
Anyone ever been to a crowded urban environment. Not a lot of clean shiny surfaces for reflections. Wink

I was contemplating this and remembered the X-Files episode "soft light" - where the main-plot character always tries to put himself in as complicated a multi-light source environment to avoid distinct shadows. Creating soft, diffuse shadows.

Crowded urban environments are much more complicated for lighting than shiny reflective rooms with a single light source.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 22:30 Verno

Sempai wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 20:38:

If i were a betting man i'd say your position is fairly accurate, aaand it'll only cost ya $1600 bucks, or more.

With Navi 7nm clearly not designed for ray tracing we'll continue to have little to no competition in the high-end space, and we also know that little cunt Jensen will continue to make certain we all pay for his 10yr RTX investment.

edit: we live in the future and me typing on a phone is still impossible lol.

Yeah Navi is a wet fart, its yet another GCN re-design. They were marketing that they were matching a mid range card from 2016 at E3, it was comical. We're actually finally going to get some price drops on the Turing refresh soon and Ampere is going to be sooner than people think. I'm on a 1080ti so while I might miss the early RTX stuff, I'm cool to sit it out while optimization and adoption is going on. I will probably get an Ampere card when they launch because who the fuck knows when AMD and Intel will get their shit together.

Playing: Total War: Three Kingdoms, Pillars of Eternity II, Warhammer Chaosbane
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Barry

27. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 20:52 RedEye9

how light behaves in a crowded urban environment

It bounces off a pizza carrying rat and refracts thru the wings of a dead cockroach.
Anyone ever been to a crowded urban environment. Not a lot of clean shiny surfaces for reflections. Wink

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

26. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 20:38 Sempai

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 15:37:
Beamer wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 14:17:
I wouldn't be surprised if the ray tracing gains on the next-gen cards are at least 30%-40%. Overall it wouldn't be that much faster, but could see it being so at ray tracing. Doesn't mean 30%-40% more frames, though, since right now most games only use some ray tracing.

Well, the performance jump from GTX 1080Ti to RTX 2080Ti w/o RT was already an impressive 30% to 40% on average.

The GTX 1080Ti to RTX 2080Ti was a mini node shrink from 16nm to 12nm which many people were saying was more like a 16nm+ process rather than a real shrink.

The RTX 3080Ti GPU will be receiving a real shrink treatment based on a 7nm(+) EUV-enhanced Samsung or TSMC process. Coupled with nVidia's Turing experiences so far and their optimizations on the architectural level as well as the RTX backend + drivers, we could be looking at a considerably higher performance leap in ray-tracing going forward.
It will most likely get a really nice bump next gen. That's almost inevitable.

If i were a betting man i'd say your position is fairly accurate, aaand it'll only cost ya $1600 bucks, or more.

With Navi 7nm clearly not designed for ray tracing we'll continue to have little to no competition in the high-end space, and we also know that little cunt Jensen will continue to make certain we all pay for his 10yr RTX investment.

edit: we live in the future and me typing on a phone is still impossible lol.

25. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 18:02 wtf_man

I wouldn't be surprised if the ray tracing gains on the next-gen cards are at least 30%-40%. Overall it wouldn't be that much faster, but could see it being so at ray tracing. Doesn't mean 30%-40% more frames, though, since right now most games only use some ray tracing.

I was referring specifically to Ray Tracing performance on the mainstream... so I agree with your assessment translating into overall performance.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

24. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 15:37 CJ_Parker

Well, the performance jump from GTX 1080Ti to RTX 2080Ti w/o RT was already an impressive 30% to 40% on average.

The GTX 1080Ti to RTX 2080Ti was a mini node shrink from 16nm to 12nm which many people were saying was more like a 16nm+ process rather than a real shrink.

The RTX 3080Ti GPU will be receiving a real shrink treatment based on a 7nm(+) EUV-enhanced Samsung or TSMC process. Coupled with nVidia's Turing experiences so far and their optimizations on the architectural level as well as the RTX backend + drivers, we could be looking at a considerably higher performance leap in ray-tracing going forward.
It will most likely get a really nice bump next gen. That's almost inevitable.

23. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 14:17 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 13:05 HorrorScope

wtf_man wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 10:57:
Dev wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 10:40:
Why are people talking about $1300 cards? The 2070 is like $450 or so, and I picked up a 2080 for $650 or so. Those will do RTX just fine

Also, by the time this comes out, there will be the next gen of RTX cards out. I plan to sell mine and make that step up, and it shouldn't be much difference in cost. I used to keep my graphics cards for many years, but I'm going to try the sell and buy route now to upgrade.

Because (for me) I don't trust the future-proofing / investment length of the current 1st gen RTX. I've been burned before hoping on a new feature.

If the next gen is out by then... and the mainstream card is a quantum leap in performance from the current one... I'm aboard

Right it simply has to be understood and accepted you cannot buy an RTX card today (unless something unknown to us is about to happen) that one would consider it future proofed for RTX.

That said, I'm not buying a Nvidia card now for RTX, that is a bonus to me. The raw standard 3d power of their cards for everything else is still the best in most cases. RTX is feature that is looking towards the future BUT has to start somewhere. This is the somewhere it started at.

No reason to complicate things. If one is against RT, you have become old and don't accept how major feature changes will evolve, you used to and you were happy buying the new, but you've lost that loving feeling. Don't worry, we'll carry you and someday (you won't thank us) you will enjoy those that fostered the tech.

21. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 12:24 Verno

Most of the RTX titles I've seen played at a buddy's place were fine once they got their optimization passes. He games at 1440p/60fps generally. This, Watch Dogs Legion and a bunch of other games are getting support for it. I think this game is an ideal fit given what I've seen from the gameplay footage of the look they're going for.

Both of the next gen consoles are apparently getting some weird version of tensor cores from AMD. Looks like the momentum is slowly shifting.

Playing: Total War: Three Kingdoms, Pillars of Eternity II, Warhammer Chaosbane
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Barry

20. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 12:07 RedEye9

Next years nVidia card will have 30-40% (or more) perf on the 2080Ti

He'll be here all week folks. Try the fish.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

19. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 11:47 G.oZ

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 08:47:
Woohoo, another stupid developer adds the ray tracing gimmick.

Not a gimmick, a rendering technique for lighting scenes that computer hardware is in its infancy generating real time. That does improve the graphics realism.

When Cyberpunk 2077 comes out there will probably be a new nVidia card with 30-40% (or more) perf on the 2080Ti. If I wait until 2021, it might be close to double. Perhaps they will implement more/better RT cores as well that improve performance gains even more. Perhaps AMD or even Intel will have something in a couple years.

10 years time, full scene RTRT will be standard and old titles will be quaint with their rasterization tricks. "OMG all those artist work hours just to generate semi-realistic lighting for each scene - god I'm glad i wasn't working back then."

18. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 10:57 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 10:40:
Why are people talking about $1300 cards? The 2070 is like $450 or so, and I picked up a 2080 for $650 or so. Those will do RTX just fine

Also, by the time this comes out, there will be the next gen of RTX cards out. I plan to sell mine and make that step up, and it shouldn't be much difference in cost. I used to keep my graphics cards for many years, but I'm going to try the sell and buy route now to upgrade.

Because (for me) I don't trust the future-proofing / investment length of the current 1st gen RTX. I've been burned before hoping on a new feature.

If the next gen is out by then... and the mainstream card is a quantum leap in performance from the current one... I'm aboard

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

17. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 10:40 Dev

16. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 10:38 wtf_man

nVidia needs to probably have a mainstream card with twice the Ray Tracing performance before I'd bite on the Ray Tracing thing.

I'm certainly not going to purchase the top end card for the ridiculous amount of money they want... and I'm not going to purchase a mainstream card that will be brought to it's knees by games like this and near future games (meaning the investment wouldn't last a year).

An RTX2080-ish card for $300... I'd be all over it for this game.

15. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 10:02 The Pyro

Nifty reflections on the floor. OK. If the game can still run at 60 fps then I might leave them turned on.  

14. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 09:59 Nate

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 08:47:
Woohoo, another stupid developer adds the ray tracing gimmick. A good way to kill any game that features ray tracing is to turn it on.

Its not a gimmick. Its just a better lighting technique.

13. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 09:55 VoodooV

I mean I'm planning on building a ultra high end computer here in a year or two, but I'm doubtful I'll have it before the game releases. But joe blow average probably won't have ray tracing for years, not until those cards come way down in price.

I really haven't see any of the side by sides, but graphics is already in that realm of where it's really hard to see some of the improvements, at least IMO anyway. I thought the consensus though was that it was just another gimmick to hype sales. Sure, yet another step forward with technology, but nothing worth breaking the bank over.

Of course, if you're going to add it in. What better game to put it in. Set in a world where people are always chasing after the next improvement...so it works I guess

12. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 08:47 Ozmodan

Woohoo, another stupid developer adds the ray tracing gimmick. A good way to kill any game that features ray tracing is to turn it on.  

11. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 07:13 aka_STEVE

Yeah, I am playing this game for sure but NO way in hell I'm paying $1300 + for a video card just to play this game.... because all the other games that even barely uses Ray-tracing are crap or don't work well with it.  

10. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 05:32 CJ_Parker

Sempai wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 04:18:
All you need is a $1300 video card from a shitty gross af corp run by a gigantic twat for a ceo!

Yay!..

No, you don't. You can just buy an awesome nVidia card, you know?

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo