Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Marvel's Avengers Announced

Marvel Entertainment and Square Enix officially announce Marvel's Avengers, the recently revealed tie-in with the comic book super team. This is a solo and co-op action/adventure in development at Crystal Dynamics in collaboration with Eidos-Montréal, Crystal Northwest, and Nixxes Software for release on PC and consoles on May 15, 2020. The Marvel’s Avengers Website is live, offering links to pre-order and promising early beta access to those who do so, though the beta is to start as a PS4 exclusive. There's also an E3 2019 trailer titled "A-Day" with a cinematic look created from in-game footage. There are some cues from the movies like magic earpiece communications, but the clip shows this isn't really a tie-in with the MCU, as the characters don't resemble or sound like their highly paid cinematic counterparts. PCGamesN notes that future new heroes and regions will come to the game for free and that the game will feature neither "random loot boxes" nor "pay-to-win scenarios." Here's the announcement:

Marvel’s Avengers invites players to live their Super Hero dreams. Outstanding storytelling and an ever-expanding universe come together in the definitive Avengers gaming experience. Master extraordinary abilities, customize a growing roster of Heroes, assemble into teams of up to four players, and defend the Earth from escalating threats.

Marvel’s Avengers begins at A-Day, where Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor are unveiling a hi-tech Avengers Headquarters in San Francisco — including the reveal of their own helicarrier powered by an experimental energy source. The celebration turns deadly when a catastrophic accident results in massive devastation. Blamed for the tragedy, the Avengers disband. Five years later, with all Super Heroes outlawed and the world in peril, the only hope is to reassemble Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.

“Crystal Dynamics is one of the industry’s most talented and respected game development studios, and we couldn’t be more excited about their ambitious vision for Marvel’s Avengers,” said Jay Ong, EVP, Head of Games at Marvel Entertainment. “It will thrill our fans and serve as a key part of Marvel’s storytelling, delivering an authentic and innovative take on our heroes as never been seen before. This game is what’s next for the Avengers.”

“As super fans, working with Marvel and these characters is a dream come true and we are excited to finally reveal Marvel’s Avengers to the world,” said Scot Amos, Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics. “This is our original take on these iconic Super Heroes. Leveraging our companies’ combined experience in epic action-adventure storytelling, we’re building a universe that fans will immerse themselves in for years to come.”

Marvel’s Avengers features a cinematic story, complete with the high-octane action that Crystal Dynamics is known for. Featuring regular content updates, the game will take players on an epic journey delivered over multiple years.

“We’ve assembled world-class developers from across the industry to bring players on an unforgettable journey,” said Ron Rosenberg, Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics. “To ensure a truly heroic experience for all players, we’re announcing that our narrative will be delivered over multiple years, with no random loot boxes or pay-to-win scenarios. Every new Super Hero and region will be delivered to players at no additional cost if you own the core game. This is just the beginning of what we’ve got in store for our fans.”

Square Enix is also excited to announce a global partnership with PlayStation and will share more details about surprises for PlayStation players in the future.

Players around the world will begin their journey in Marvel’s Avengers on May 15, 2020.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 13, 2019, 12:31 El Pit

/me Oh, wow! An Avengers game... wait... WHO ARE THESE GUYS?! Huh Speechless Stunned  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 23:59 NKD

Could be cool but I'm still a bit salty that Eidos Montreal got roped into working on this with Crystal Dynamics instead of actually making more Deus Ex. Especially given that Mankind Divided just suddenly stops at the end of an extremely long 1st act with all kinds of unanswered questions.  

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

18. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 21:39 jdreyer

Darks wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 16:41:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 16:15:
"Let's cash in while Endgame is still fresh in people's minds."

Not really dude. this game wont even release for another year.

As long as Hulk, looks like Hulk. I'm good. Time to smash shit.

I hope it's fun and people enjoy it, but it feels like an MCU knockoff. I'm getting serious uncanny valley vibes watching the trailer. The costumes, machines, action, etc. all have that MCU feel, but the voices and faces are all wrong.

It would have been awesome if they had made this right after the first Avengers movie using the likenesses and voices of the original cast.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 20:40 JayDeath

Some actual gameplay would have been nice.  
Steam: BenRichards

16. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 18:42 RedEye9

Captain Marvel dlc is on-sale for $32, so much better than pay-to-win.
woot

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

15. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 18:32 Kxmode

the game will feature neither "random loot boxes" nor "pay-to-win scenarios."

I really hate publishers who make this a thing. Video games shouldn't have them PERIOD. It should be common place not to expect them.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 18:32 The Half Elf

Really needs the Avengers Movie Theme at the end. Doesn't look BAD... but it looks like it's got quite a few quick time cinematic events.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

13. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 17:16 saluk

Other than the character faces (and some of the character designs) it actually looks really good.

But it's a character driven franchise so faaaaaaaaail.

12. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 16:41 Darks

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 16:15:

Not really dude. this game wont even release for another year.

As long as Hulk, looks like Hulk. I'm good. Time to smash shit.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

11. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 16:39 Chipp0r

That is one huge cringefest of a trailer. How embarrassing.  

10. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 16:15 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

9. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 15:24 jacobvandy

aka_STEVE wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 12:49:
HHmm, let me see - we have a multi-Billion dollar movie franchise going for the past 10 years ++ so when we finally decide to do a videogame to milk the franchise , let's NOT make the characters look or sound like the actors we have made that franchise $$ based off of ??

Typical dufus management decision .....

I bet they weren't considering making this game when they drafted those contracts up to 10+ years ago. Maybe they didn't want to cough up the extra dough for faces which a) are way more valuable now than they were then and b) aren't going to be in any more movies in some cases.

8. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 15:21 Bopper

It would be too expensive to get the movie actors for the game and it would feel odd if they looked like them but sounded different. No gameplay yet but I can't wait for this!  
- Boppa

7. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 15:13 Darks

aka_STEVE wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 12:49:
HHmm, let me see - we have a multi-Billion dollar movie franchise going for the past 10 years ++ so when we finally decide to do a videogame to milk the franchise , let's NOT make the characters look or sound like the actors we have made that franchise $$ based off of ??

The chars are made to look like the ones that are voicing them. Nothing wrong with that. At least you get the heroes to play as, so its not a complete loss.

6. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 12:49 aka_STEVE

5. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 12:09 Watter

I don't know. I think they mixed it up a bit too much here. If it's going to be based on the comics, then base it on the comics; if it's the MCU then do a better job of making it look like the MCU. This was too much of a mixed bag. I rather liked that the characters acted and talked like their "comic" based counterparts (i.e. Iron man being a little more of a team player; Thor in full Asgardian talk mode, etc.) but then there were way, WAY too many homages to the MCU. I like the MCU, dont' get me wrong, but if you're going to go there, then the characters have to look and act like the charcters from that universe.

Same with the set pieces. All MCU based.

Don't mix it up. Pick one or your players are going to feel the discord. We're all used to seeing these characters in the MCU now. If you set them in that universae but have them look and act different, it just feels weird.

Thats said, as the trailer went on, I started liking it better. It looked like a fairly decent storyline. I guess it all depens on the "fun". I'd love a good super hero co-op game.

4. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 12:08 Darks

How does any fan of the Avengers not want to play this Coop? Hulk all the way for me.

Hard to really see what the game play is like because they kept mixing in small bits of it. but I'm sure it will be fun.

3. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 11:58 Verno

No idea what to make of it based on what I've seen so far.  

Playing: Total War: Three Kingdoms, Pillars of Eternity II, Warhammer Chaosbane
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Barry

2. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 11:34 Spektr

I wish the actors at least looked like their comic counterparts  

1. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 11:28 Cutter

Looks bad.

"No random loot boxes" nor "pay-to-win scenarios."

So, it'll be chockfull of that stuff than.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo