Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

I joked about it yesterday, but this does seem to be more PC gaming news than the usual E3. I wonder if that has to do with being near the end of the current console cycle? Whatever the cause, I'm happy about it. The occasions when the show is mostly console games can be a little depressing. It's also funny how much of the news from the show has rolled out already since it still hasn't actually begun. E3 2019 officially kicks off today at 2:00 pm EDT. Enjoy.

PC Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Beyond Meat is launching a 'meatier' version of its plant-based burger. Truthiness.
NASA’s lunar lander was just rediscovered after being lost in space for 50 years.
Science: Alzheimer's disease- Researchers test vaccine they say could protect against disease.
Huge Mass Discovered Beneath Crater on Far Side of the Moon—and Scientists Don't Know What It Is.
Media: The Most Dangerous Type of Eruptions - Flood Volcanism explained.
Denied.
Is Meat Bad for You? Is Meat Unhealthy?
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 15, 2019, 01:17 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Jun 14, 2019, 08:12:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2019, 04:05:
Actually, my recall was faulty. It was my Corsair memory that went bad...

So you had a faulty memory about your faulty memory?

My original post read "Actually, my memory was faulty. It was my Corsair memory that went bad..."
I changed it because I thought it was confusing.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2019, 09:05 Beamer

There are a lot of inaccuracies about kxmode's faulty g.skill memory here...  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2019, 08:12  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2019, 04:05:
Actually, my recall was faulty. It was my Corsair memory that went bad...

So you had a faulty memory about your faulty memory?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2019, 04:05 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 13:42:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 08:57:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 20:49:
I think what we're going to find out (err I hope, but I ain't buying nuttin until it's been tested in the wild by peeps I trust) is that the 3800x will run more cores at max boost for a longer period of time. Or, as CJ Parker said in another thread;/snip "The 3800X will allow a higher boost w/o manual OC over the 3700X. AMD aren't complete retards. AMD isn't arbitrarily putting these TDP limits as labels on their SKUs.." just for grins
/snippet

I, too, am waiting for reviews but I no longer OC these days. It doesn't bring me any benefit in light of the whole picture of what I do with my system. AMD's site doesn't say the 3800X is "up to" 105 TDP, it just flat out says it is 105 TDP part. So, until independent reviews come out and we get a broader picture, I can only go by what the manufacturer itself states.

Thanks y'all for the heads up on the RAM. I have had exactly one stick of Crucial memory go bad in all my years of computing and their customer service bent over backwards to advance replace the DIMM for me.

Kxmode's experience with G.SKILL doesn't inspire confidence. Six weeks is a loooong turn around time to get a replacement and having to harass them to keep on top of it would drive me insane.
That was jdreyers warranty issue with g.skill.
Once again that is just one data point out of an infinite number of data points.
Similar to the fact that Smoking causes cancer and responding with "but my great uncle smoked a pack of cigarettes everyday since he was 12 and he never got cancer."
A google search of of nearly anything will turn up unsatisfied customers.

As for waiting a long time for warranty on a $50 dollar stick of DDR3 that had 50,000 hours on it, I would have just ate it and bought some more if I'd really needed it. Life's too short.

Actually, my recall was faulty. It was my Corsair memory that went bad, not the G.Skill (this was 2 years ago). I went trolling through my email to locate the ticket. They both have similar brightly colored vented heat sinks on them, so I got compfused.

As for why it took so long for my new memory module, it appears that Corsair was purchased by EagleTree Capital a couple of years ago, and they fired a bunch of people, resulting in long turnarounds. Sad.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2019, 18:37 bigspender

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 05:59:
bigspender wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 01:52:

"meat causes cancer, but it's also not unhealthy in moderation"

Kind of a confused video, but if it gets people to eat less meat, then I guess it's only a good thing from the environmental perspective alone.

Like anything in life, moderation is healthy, excess is death.

If we want to take the moderation stance, well OK as the video says, eat just 53g of meat a day.... nobody does that. And what's even the point by that stage, two bites of a steak a day. (you can't even save it all up for one big steak a week, because they say the effect is too potent then)

And you know the whole global warming thing is an emergency (which is majorly caused by animal agriculture). We're going to look like complete dicks when the world melts, because we wanted to save the world in moderation

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2019, 13:42 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 08:57:
I think what we're going to find out (err I hope, but I ain't buying nuttin until it's been tested in the wild by peeps I trust) is that the 3800x will run more cores at max boost for a longer period of time. Or, as CJ Parker said in another thread;/snip "The 3800X will allow a higher boost w/o manual OC over the 3700X. AMD aren't complete retards. AMD isn't arbitrarily putting these TDP limits as labels on their SKUs.." just for grins
/snippet

I, too, am waiting for reviews but I no longer OC these days. It doesn't bring me any benefit in light of the whole picture of what I do with my system. AMD's site doesn't say the 3800X is "up to" 105 TDP, it just flat out says it is 105 TDP part. So, until independent reviews come out and we get a broader picture, I can only go by what the manufacturer itself states.

Thanks y'all for the heads up on the RAM. I have had exactly one stick of Crucial memory go bad in all my years of computing and their customer service bent over backwards to advance replace the DIMM for me.

Kxmode's experience with G.SKILL doesn't inspire confidence. Six weeks is a loooong turn around time to get a replacement and having to harass them to keep on top of it would drive me insane.
That was jdreyers warranty issue with g.skill.
Once again that is just one data point out of an infinite number of data points.
Similar to the fact that Smoking causes cancer and responding with "but my great uncle smoked a pack of cigarettes everyday since he was 12 and he never got cancer."
A google search of of nearly anything will turn up unsatisfied customers.

As for waiting a long time for warranty on a $50 dollar stick of DDR3 that had 50,000 hours on it, I would have just ate it and bought some more if I'd really needed it. Life's too short.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2019, 09:15 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 19:08:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 17:33:
Why the 3700x and not the 3800x, inquiring minds and all that.

40 extra TDP on the 3800X for a meager 300Mhz gain on the base frequency and 100Mhz on the max boost.

I'd prefer to run my machine as cool and quiet as possible, thus the 3700X.

Edit:

I've always run Crucial or Corsair memory as those are brands I know and trust. How does G.SKILL compare?

Yeah I pointed this out in another thread. The 3800X seems like poor value (relative to other offerings) given the very modest increases for the price differential but it'll all depend on benchmarks/etc. I also don't really see anyone needing the 3900X 12c/24t SKU for gaming any time soon so I'm going to be sticking with the 8c/16t SKUs.

Either way though more choice is a good problem to have. Frankly at the resolutions I game at leave me more GPU bottlenecked than anything else but I just like to upgrade once in awhile

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2019, 09:59.

Playing: Total War: Three Kingdoms, Pillars of Eternity II, Warhammer Chaosbane
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Barry

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2019, 08:57 Burrito of Peace

/snippet

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2019, 05:59 eRe4s3r

bigspender wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 01:52:

Kind of a confused video, but if it gets people to eat less meat, then I guess it's only a good thing from the environmental perspective alone.

Like anything in life, moderation is healthy, excess is death.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2019, 01:57 bigspender

MacLeod wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 14:15:
I grabbed the Beyond Burgers from the grocery store to give them a try a couple weeks ago. I didn't like them at all. Clearly tasted nothing like beef and more like plant. I did have the Impossible Burger and that actually tasted like meat.

My problem with Beyond Burgers was that they tasted too much like meat (gave it up nearly a decade ago) and the stuff just repulses me these days. Beef or dog or human open wounds all smell the same to me now :S It's very strange, because I loved meat before I made the change.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2019, 01:52 bigspender

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2019, 22:59 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 21:46:

40 extra TDP on the 3800X for a meager 300Mhz gain on the base frequency and 100Mhz on the max boost.

Edit:

I've always run Crucial or Corsair memory as those are brands I know and trust. How does G.SKILL compare?
I had GSkill in my machine. It ran 24/7 basically. After about 5 years one of the memory sticks went bad, but was covered under lifetime warranty. It took 6 weeks to get my stick, and I had to harass them a bunch.

Glad to hear the new card's working out well!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2019, 22:56 RedEye9

Searched my email for g.skill and I see that I have put it in a few systems starting in 2014 ranging in price from 650 to over 2k. Ain't never had a warranty call, but statistically speaking that don't mean diddly squat.
Good enough for my customers, good enuf 4 me. Wink

Edit
Changed the $6,500 build to $650.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2019, 23:56.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2019, 22:20 Simon Says

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 22:03:
"Rise and shine, Mr. RedEye9. Rise and shine. Not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No one is more deserving of good ram. And all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your cas timing has come again. The right ram in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So, wake up, Mr. RedEye9. Wake up and buy the b-die ddr4."

You're not helping.

xD

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2019, 22:03 1badmf

Edit:

g.skill is a pretty well known gamer brand of memory. i've gone through several sticks, never failed me.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2019, 22:03 RedEye9

Simon Says wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 21:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 21:07:
Holy Shit Sherlock
I had no clue they were B-Die. (my wallet dislikes you now)
That ram sold for $250 a year ago, I'm tempted to just go ahead and buy it since B-Die are EOL and everything. https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

Word is, only the 14nm and higher B-Die are EOL, 10nm aren't yet. Or so I've been told on /r/Amd.

You can probably find cheaper, but at this price, I think I'd go with it anyway, it's decent deal for good B-Die Ryzen RAM. But of course there's always the chance that you could want to add another 16gb in a few years and can't find this particular kit anymore, which could lead to problems if the mobo doesn't support segregated timings for different ram kits ( MSI Z370 Intel boards do so quite successfully, no idea about other boards ).

*G-man voice* Time to choose Mr. RedEye9
"Rise and shine, Mr. RedEye9. Rise and shine. Not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No one is more deserving of good ram. And all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your cas timing has come again. The right ram in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So, wake up, Mr. RedEye9. Wake up and buy the b-die ddr4."

You're not helping.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2019, 21:54 Simon Says

double post  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2019, 21:46 jdreyer

Edit:

I had GSkill in my machine. It ran 24/7 basically. After about 5 years one of the memory sticks went bad, but was covered under lifetime warranty. It took 6 weeks to get my stick, and I had to harass them a bunch.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2019, 21:46 Simon Says

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 21:07:
Holy Shit Sherlock
That ram sold for $250 a year ago, I'm tempted to just go ahead and buy it since B-Die are EOL and everything. https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

Word is, only the 14nm and higher B-Die are EOL, 10nm aren't yet. Or so I've been told on /r/Amd.

You can probably find cheaper, but at this price, I think I'd go with it anyway, it's decent deal for good B-Die Ryzen RAM. But of course there's always the chance that you could want to add another 16gb in a few years and can't find this particular kit anymore, which could lead to problems if the mobo doesn't support segregated timings for different ram kits ( MSI Z370 Intel boards do so quite successfully, no idea about other boards ).

*G-man voice* Time to choose Mr. RedEye9

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2019, 21:07 RedEye9

Simon Says wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 15:54:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 15:41:
Neurological diseases such as Alzheimer's and dementia along with cancer can kiss my ass, rim me, and lap at my taint while they're at. I have had family die from both and it's fucking horrific.

Grandma ( who was my 2nd mom, we had an inter-generational household until I was 10 ) had all 3 before she died... she was the shadow of her former self, but damn, she still was the kinded person I've ever met, woman was a saint. Still, I was relieved for her when death finally took her, crying did hurt but in a good way, may she rest in peace.

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 15:41:
I have finalized my system build:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
ASRock X570 Taichi Ultimate
32GB PC3200 CL15 8x4

I'll be recycling the three SSDs, power supply, GPU, and case from my current system.

Looks good, RAM is pretty much at that sweet spot where further speed gives diminishing returns according to AMD: https://i.redd.it/d24hymdbbm331.png

Should perform like a champ both stock and OC'd.

GL
Holy Shit Sherlock

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo