Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive

A Kickstarter update for Shenmue III reveals the PC edition of the game will be an Epic Games Store exclusive (thanks Devinoch). There is backlash to this news in the comments, as the crowdfunding campaign for the action/adventure sequel previously promised a Steam key to backers, which goes unaddressed by the new update, which is reproduced below:
We are happy to announce that Shenmue III for PC will be will be an Epic Games Store exclusive. Development for Shenmue III has been moving forward using Unreal Engine and the support we have received from Epic has been excellent. But most importantly, in looking for the most enjoyable experience on PC, it was decided together with Deep Silver after much discussion that the Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option.

*For inquiries regarding the General Sales such as Epic Games Store exclusive or Pre-Order, please see our FAQ page. For other inquiries please visit Deep Silver customer support.
View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 12, 2019, 00:50 Kxmode

Gas Bandit wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 20:13:
You hear that? That crumbling, cracking sound? That's kickstarter collapsing after all confidence in it being undermined by this.

RIP Crowdfunding.

I think Kickstarter is a thriving thing... just not for video games except for rare exceptions.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 11, 2019, 20:13 Gas Bandit

You hear that? That crumbling, cracking sound? That's kickstarter collapsing after all confidence in it being undermined by this.

RIP Crowdfunding.

15. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 11, 2019, 18:45 Kxmode

"In January 2013, Deep Silver announced a special edition of their then-upcoming game Dead Island: Riptide, titled Zombie Bait Edition, which would include a statuette of a mutilated female torso in Europe and Australia. After strong criticism over the item, Deep Silver initially offered an apology, stating that they were "deeply sorry" and promising consumers that something like that would not happen again. However, when the game was released in April that year, the bust was still included, generating further backlash."

"In January 2019, Deep Silver partnered with Epic Games on a one-year exclusivity deal for the personal computer (PC) version of their upcoming game Metro Exodus on Epic's digital distribution storefront, the Epic Games Store. Through this deal, Metro Exodus was removed from Steam, another digital distribution storefront, where Deep Silver had been selling pre-orders for the game since August 2018. Additionally, the deal was made and announced less than three weeks prior to game's release, causing criticism and confusion among critics and fans of the Metro franchise. Valve, the company behind Steam, labeled the move as unfair to consumers, while fans review-bombed previous entries of the series on Steam."

"In June, Suzuki announced that the release date had been postponed again, to November 19 2019, and that the Windows version would be exclusive to the Epic Games Store; earlier updates had suggested that it would be available on Steam. This prompted a large backlash from backers who feel betrayed and scammed by having their platform of choice switched without prior knowledge."

It's clear now Deep Silver operates an unabashed shameful business.

Nobody should buy anything from them. Send a loud message as money appears to be the only thing they understand.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 11, 2019, 17:57 HorrorScope

Acleacius wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 09:38:
Damn, glad I stopped buying deep silver games after metro. Middlefinger

Metro Exodus $1 American dollar for a month on Microsoft Store.

13. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 11, 2019, 17:53 HorrorScope

Watching Paint Dry a Epic Exclusive, you can have it. Matches up with a lot of their free games.  

12. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 11, 2019, 13:39 Kxmode

Backers denied refunds over Shenmue III Epic Games Store exclusivity  

11. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 11, 2019, 13:36 Kxmode

They used backers as a bank loan then tossed them under the bus when they no longer needed them. Very classy Suzuki.  

10. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 11, 2019, 12:04 Jivaro

I don't really care, I don't mind the EGS at all. Still think this is a shit way to go about doing a shitty thing.

9. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 11, 2019, 11:28 chickenboo

Darks wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 10:46:
Just read through the comments on the KS page, man are the backers pissed off. I hope they report this as a fraudulent misleading KS and all get their money back. If they still refuse, I would be doing a charge-back on my card for sure.

Consumers need to stand up and put an end to this kind of BS.

apparently refunds have already been refused, but for many people it's probably too late to charge back.

I can see the appeal for the developer - if they're already using an Unreal engine for the game, selling it on EGS makes sense sicne they get to keep a much larger share of revenue than on Steam. That exclusivity thing is a real kick in the pants though. Lucky for me, I don't back stuff!

8. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 11, 2019, 10:46 Darks

Just read through the comments on the KS page, man are the backers pissed off. I hope they report this as a fraudulent misleading KS and all get their money back. If they still refuse, I would be doing a charge-back on my card for sure.

Consumers need to stand up and put an end to this kind of BS.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

7. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 11, 2019, 09:38 Acleacius

Damn, glad I stopped buying deep silver games after metro. Middlefinger  

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 11, 2019, 00:20 Reactor

Wow. I don’t hate EGS... but this does annoy me because I have 1 and 2 on Steam.

It just seems... wrong to have it there.

5. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 11, 2019, 00:05 Tone84

Phoenix Point backers (i'm one of the original fig supporters) at least still get a steam key once it releases on steam.  

4. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 10, 2019, 23:47 Rhett

Jesus, guess they didn't see the Phoenix Point kickstarter doing the same exact thing.  

3. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 10, 2019, 23:05 SirKnight

Damn, this looks like a total clusterfuck and a HUGE slap in the face to all the people who backed this and selected PC (being promised Steam). They are saying no refunds which is basically them telling backers "tough shit, we got your money hahaha".

I hope everyone does a charge back on their CC. I sure would.

2. Re: Morning Patches Jun 10, 2019, 22:53 TheBigVlad

I had no interest in this game anyway but that statement is so insulting.

Yea sure, buying the game on EGS will automatically make it more fun than if it were bought from somewhere else. Does EGS provide a tool that runs a 'fun enhancement' algorithm through the game assets, altering code to fix bugs and add desirable features to the game automatically?

1. Re: PC Shenmue III an Epic Games Store Exclusive Jun 10, 2019, 21:52 Verno

People might give a shit if they ever expected this game to actually come out.  

Playing: Beat Saber, Control, Warhammer 2
Watching: Peaky Blinders, Ad Astra, The Office

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >