Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Into the Black

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Into the Black Jun 11, 2019, 18:17 RedEye9

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 10:25:
Ignoring the cults these people are involved in, does anybody actually think Tom Cruise won't train like a damned madman for months with elite MMA/boxing/whatever trainers if he seriously decides to do this?

He learns insane skills for most of his films as it is(helicopter stunt piloting, gun handling, some fighting already, etc.) I'm sure if he really wanted to respond to this challenge he'd be putting in 4-6 hours a day in the gym/cage/ring for this.
I doubt he'd have to do anything more than his daily conditioning for him to be able to slap the stupid out of Justin.
I'd go so far to say that he could do it hungover and suffering all the affects of food poisoning while in the throes of influenza.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Into the Black Jun 11, 2019, 17:56 Mr. Tact

Okay. I do believe Scientology is a scam. But their transgressions are not serious enough for me to boycott Tom Cruise movies. Although there are plenty of them I have never seen. There might be an argument to make that while the Catholic church isn't "as bad" it is effecting a much larger population so the cumulative effect might be equivalent or worse. But whatever. The idea just struck as being very odd. To each their own, whatever floats your boat.

Good idea not to call the wife on that. "Happy wife, happy life."

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Into the Black Jun 11, 2019, 17:28 Jivaro

For me personally, it's supporting Scientology financially in any way. I won't speak for anyone else.

If a movie about a franchise or story I liked was made and the profits were going to any organization where I know, from personal experience or some other way I know to be factual, how shitty they are then yeah...I am going to make sure my wallet doesn't contribute to it. It seems like a completely understandable way to select entertainment. I am sure there is a ton of shit I would rather not fund but I do because I am ignorant to the problem or association. All I can say to that is I can only know what I know. Have I gone to a movie or watched a show on TV where profits went to Scientology or the Catholic Church or any number of socio/political groups I dislike? Sure, just not intentionally. Ignorance is once thing, but I try hard to not be a hypocrite. All of us are to some extent it seems like, but I like to at least be able to say "to the best of my knowledge".

My wife on the other hand loves Tom Cruise movies and watches them all the time and couldn't care less who makes money from it. I would give her the holier-than-thou speech but her list of my transgressions is undoubtedly longer then my list of hers.

10. Re: Into the Black Jun 11, 2019, 12:24 Mr. Tact

Okay, I do understand what you're saying -- the difference between Cruise getting a salary and him using the film as a fund raising tool for Scientology. So, is the objection Scientology in general, or is the objection the amount of funds being supplied to the organization?

Neither seems to be a valid way to select my cinematic entertainment.

9. Re: Into the Black Jun 11, 2019, 12:14 Jivaro

Tact, I think the point is there is a difference between Cruise being religious (as many actors are) and the movie itself being a cash vehicle for his religeon. (which a great deal of his movies actually are) I don't care if my car salesman is Catholic but if I find out that Ford is actually giving all of its profits to the Catholic Church I am probably not going to go there to get a new car. As an example pulled out of my ass.  

8. Re: Into the Black Jun 11, 2019, 12:03 Mr. Tact

Acleacius wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 09:40:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 08:52:
Acleacius wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 00:50:
I really don't get it, people actually going see his movies are literally funding scientology.
You actually chose your movies based on the "religion" people practice? I mean I get it, Scientology is definitely more blatantly a scam than the major religions, but they are all a scam in one way or another. Would his movies be any better or worse if he believed in a sky wizard? Sorry but I'm not going to be selecting my cinematic entertainment based on the beliefs of the actors...
Did I say any of that crap or did it all get extrapolated in your head?

Or is this the Princess Bride joke I made with RedEye9's comment about god? No clue what your going on about but if your asking about my opinion on religion?
I'd say any religion seems to be 3rd party software (malware? ;).
You said seeing a Cruise film was funding Scientology. And you didn't "get" why people did that. You are strongly implying that seeing a Cruise film is effectively supporting Scientology. It would follow this is a factor in your decision making on which films to see.

I then extended this logic and said seeing any film is supporting the religion of any actor in that film. I didn't think my logic was that cryptic, sorry I confused you.

7. Re: Into the Black Jun 11, 2019, 10:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ignoring the cults these people are involved in, does anybody actually think Tom Cruise won't train like a damned madman for months with elite MMA/boxing/whatever trainers if he seriously decides to do this?

He learns insane skills for most of his films as it is(helicopter stunt piloting, gun handling, some fighting already, etc.) I'm sure if he really wanted to respond to this challenge he'd be putting in 4-6 hours a day in the gym/cage/ring for this.

6. Re: Into the Black Jun 11, 2019, 09:40 Acleacius

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 08:52:
I really don't get it, people actually going see his movies are literally funding scientology.
You actually chose your movies based on the "religion" people practice? I mean I get it, Scientology is definitely more blatantly a scam than the major religions, but they are all a scam in one way or another. Would his movies be any better or worse if he believed in a sky wizard? Sorry but I'm not going to be selecting my cinematic entertainment based on the beliefs of the actors...
Did I say any of that crap or did it all get extrapolated in your head?

Or is this the Princess Bride joke I made with RedEye9's comment about god? No clue what your going on about but if your asking about my opinion on religion?
I'd say any religion seems to be 3rd party software (malware? ;).

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: Into the Black Jun 11, 2019, 08:52 Mr. Tact

4. Re: Into the Black JB VS TC Jun 11, 2019, 06:41 Jonjonz

This is a win-win.  

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

3. Re: Into the Black Jun 11, 2019, 04:15 jdreyer

Justin Bieber challenges Tom Cruise to a fight and no one knows why.

Bumfight!!1

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

2. Re: Into the Black Jun 11, 2019, 00:50 Acleacius

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 22:02:
Justin better be careful because Tom has god on his side.
god
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I really don't get it, people actually going see his movies are literally funding scientology. What was the question Frank asked the Central Scrutinizer?

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

1. Re: Into the Black Jun 10, 2019, 22:02 RedEye9

Justin better be careful because Tom has god on his side.  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo