Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Microsoft Acquires Double Fine

A new video from Double Fine Productions features Tim Schafer announcing the acquisition of the company by Microsoft. Double Fine is now to be part of Xbox Game Studios. They promise more details on this "real soon." In the meantime, though they say that "going forward we'll be focusing on Xbox Game Pass and PC," they offer assurances that their Psychonauts sequel will still come to all the platforms it was announced for, including PlayStation 4: "More answers to all your questions real soon - but the big one: Psychonauts 2 will still be coming to *ALL* promised platforms: PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, and of course - Xbox :)"

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 11, 2019, 09:00 Mr. Tact

Wow, surprised at the reactions. Thought for sure I'd come here and see people moaning about the death of the studio and complaining about Microsoft sucking them up... Personally, I don't find it surprising, I mean when you are stuck doing crowd funding on a regular basis clearly you need some help.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 21:43 Sepharo

wtf_man wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 12:35:
Given that most of the stuff that has come out of his studio are remakes of the old Lucas Arts adventure games...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Fine#Games_developed

14. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 20:58 Kxmode

Tim should become a Twitch streamer where he shadows someone on the team for about 30 minutes. He has to find out what they're doing anyway, so why not stream it? I think it would give viewers a fly-on-the-wall perspective of game development on a typical work day. I think Tim is entertaining enough to pull it.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

13. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 20:31 clint

Putting my money on.. Double fine will disappear as most do when bought out... but Tim will become an exec/figurehead for Microsoft gaming section and go up the chain that way. Presenter at MS E3 and other events.  

12. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 19:14 NKD

I hope they kept the receipt.  

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

11. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 16:21 saluk

Probably for the best.  

10. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 13:59 jdreyer

Maybe now they'll have the money to finish Spacebase DF-9?

Won't hold my breath.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

9. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 12:48 wtf_man

Kxmode wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 12:44:

Mark my words. Either Microsoft will close the studio in ~4 years, or Tim will leave it in ~3. There's no way Tim is going to stay under Microsoft's yoke for more than 5 years.

I did say "until retirement".

3-5 years suckling on MS teet... he'll be good to go.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

8. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 12:44 Kxmode

wtf_man wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 12:35:
I'm fairly indiffernet to this one. Tim now has an MS teet to suckle on until retirement... and by then, MS will shut them down. So, he has his golden parachute.

Given that most of the stuff that has come out of his studio are remakes of the old Lucas Arts adventure games... I can't see this as totally bad unless the stuff ends up being Microsoft Store exclusives.

Mark my words. Either Microsoft will close the studio in ~4 years, or Tim will leave it in ~3. There's no way Tim is going to stay under Microsoft's yoke for more than 5 years.

Another prediction. If Psychonauts 2 turns out to be a smash hit, Microsoft is going to turn DF into a "Maxis studio" of Psychonauts-themed stuff (mobile games, merchandise, games).

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

7. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 12:35 wtf_man

I'm fairly indiffernet to this one. Tim now has an MS teet to suckle on until retirement... and by then, MS will shut them down. So, he has his golden parachute.

Given that most of the stuff that has come out of his studio are remakes of the old Lucas Arts adventure games... I can't see this as totally bad unless the stuff ends up being Microsoft Store exclusives.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

6. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 12:21 CJ_Parker

Aaaaannnnd another dev added to the Microsoft garbage dump. Well, have fun watching your studios get shut down you sellouts. Once MS has enough exclusives to kick Sony's ass they are gonna switch to cleanup mode...  

5. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 11:58 Kxmode

Slick wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 11:18:
When Tim took the stage he was like: "Hey Microsoft you need some halo? we can make you some halo. Want forza stuff? we can do driving games. Spreadsheets? We can do that too!"

"N-no, Tim. Just make games."
"Oh, whew! I was lying."

What a sellout. But I guess if Microsoft is the difference between studio bankruptcy then more power to them.

4. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 11:27 Jivaro

I am all about Psychonauts 2. I hate when MS buys someone though. Never ends well.  

3. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 11:18 Slick

When Tim took the stage he was like: "Hey Microsoft you need some halo? we can make you some halo. Want forza stuff? we can do driving games. Spreadsheets? We can do that too!"  

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

2. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 11:12 Cutter

Why would MS waste their money like this?

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

1. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 10:38 Burrito of Peace

Maybe they'll actually support and finish games instead of just abandoning them when they feel doing so is too hard.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo