Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Cyberpunk 2077 Date

The official E3 2019 cinematic trailer (NSFW) for Cyberpunk 2077 is online, revealing an April 16, 2020 release date for CD Projekt RED's highly anticipated sci-fi RPG, confirming a recent report the game will come next year. In an unexpected twist, the clip concludes revealing that the game will include the voice and likeness of a Hollywood star quite well known for his starring role in a cyberpunk film trilogy of his own (we won't spoil it further than we have already). Here's word:

Mark your calendars Cyberpunk 2077, the open-world, action-adventure story from CD PROJEKT RED, is coming to Xbox One, PS4 and PC April 16th, 2020.

Pre-order now: https://www.cyberpunk.net/pre-order

About Cyberpunk 2077:
In the most dangerous megacity of the future, the real you is not enough. Become V, a cyber-enhanced mercenary outlaw going after a one-of-a-kind implant the key to immortality. Customize your cyberware and skillset, and explore a vast city of the future obsessed with power, glamour and body modification. The choices you make will determine the story and shape the world around you.

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

46. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 13:19 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 09:53:
3. William Gibson wrote Johnny Mnemonic's screenplay based on a short story by Gibson of the same name. It was, as far as I know, the first, big budget film entirely devoted to the cyberpunk genre.

Heresy. Even Gibson fully admits that Bladerunner was Cyberpunk.

Sneakers was light-hearted and weird but was straight up a cyberpunk movie set in the then-modern day. I love that movie. TOOMANYSECRETS.

Max Headroom from 85, Videodrome was pre-cyberpunk in 83 and used... well.. video instead of computers, but is arguably cyberpunk.

Strange Days came out in 95 and was definitely cyberpunk, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, I mean... the list goes on.

I loved the Johnny Mnemonic story (If I was a billionaire I'd recreate the Killing Floor) and the movie, while goofy, was pretty good (apparently there's an Asian/Singapore cut that's way more dark and violent?) but it wasn't the *first* cyberpunk movie out there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 13:10 Flatline

Overon wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 23:12:
Now that the date has been announced those poor cd projekt red workers are going to be crunched to death during the "crunch" period.

"cock sucking attention damnit"

Dialogue designed for teenagers so it "adult." A more appropriate line would be "fucking attention god damnit" That would be a more reasonable line.

If it works for Deadwood...

44. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 12:27 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 10:15:
3. William Gibson wrote Johnny Mnemonic's screenplay based on a short story by Gibson of the same name. It was, as far as I know, the first, big budget film entirely devoted to the cyberpunk genre.

Terminator, which you're saying no to, likely counts, as movies are multiple genres.

Videodrone, RoboCop, Tron, Blade Runner, and Lawnmower Man all have arguments.

Terminator is not cyberpunk proper. It doesn't have any elements of cyberpunk. It does have the technology and AI, but it is more in the tech-noir genre. At least the first two films where. Today, the series it's mostly in the post-apocalyptic / tech-action genre. It has never explicitly been a cyberpunk film.

Lawnmower Man (one of Stephen King's rarest stories that I like a lot) is probably the closest to cyberpunk of your list, but again, it's not cyberpunk proper. A film must follow the rules established to gain the classification as a cyberpunk film. Cyberpunk is about people living in a society where technology, AI, body modifications all intersect. Where living underground is a way of life, it's where jacking into a virtual environment to damage, sabotage, and steal information of value is commonplace. It's about tapping into the underworld of seedy Operatives, and Fixers who mingle with the dregs of society for their profit. It's about mega-corporations who have so much power that they act as governments hell-bent on controlling nations for profit (not to mention armies to enforce their will... or provide services for a profit). It's about pushing technology to the limit of human imagination and people willing to kill to obtain it for a price. Lawnmower Man couldn't be cyberpunk because the story was about a young man who transformed into a digital being through VR technology. If set in a cyberpunk-themed environment then definitely it would be that kind of film.

Robocop is about the evolution of technology in an apocalyptic society. It doesn't have elements of cyberpunk so that I wouldn't call it a cyberpunk film.

Tron is about programs emulating human behavior in a grid mainframe. It has the element of jacking; only it doesn't. Flynn didn't jack into the world of MCP. He was kidnapped against his will by an innovative technology behind him. Tron: Legacy is closer to Cyberpunk with Flynn jacking into the Grid; but the story really was closer to the original Tron of programs emulating human behavior.

Blade Runner isn't a cyberpunk film either. Based on Philip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" the story explores android sentience. The title of the novel alludes to that since only humans can dream. The film is a noir. Neither the film nor the source material is cyberpunk in nature.

Cyberpunk is a very defined genre, and it's straightforward to spot cyberpunk films based on the established themes of the style. Johnny Mnemonic, The Matrix, Strange Days, Existenz, and Ghost in the Shell are a few films that are proper cyberpunk. It is most definitely not a catch-all genre for every movie with robots and technology.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2019, 12:38.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

43. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 12:18 Beamer

chickenboo wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 12:11:
Cutter wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 11:26:
Bonus point: Don't preorder on hype. Remember No Man's Sky? Remember Fallout 76?

Yes but CDPR has been around a long time and delivered a lot of quality goods including Witcher 3, ostensibly the best CRPG of all time. It has a huge team and budget. NMS was produced by 4 or 5 people with zero pedigree and very little monies. FO76 was a red flag from the beginning with its PVP-centric design. It wasn't designed to be a CRPG. And more people than not did not buy into it. When they announce the next TES or proper Fallout game people will certainly be on-board for it and rightfully so. As far as safe bets go CY2077 is one of them.

Oh, it's definitely a safe bet. Another safe bet is Doom Eternal. I'm still not going to pre-order, as tempting as it is. But I'll sure as hell buy it on release day.

I preordered Doom Eternal back when Amazon announced they were dropping their discounts for preorders. I got $15 off. It's $10 off on Amazon, anyway. But yes, Doom is a very safe preorder, as it's more of the same, and I really dug the original. It was likely a day 1 buy, so saving $15 made sense.

For this, there's really no reason to preorder. Like you say, release day purchase is essentially the same now, and there are no intriguing preorder bonuses here. Even more, a LOT can go wrong here. Not a lot for Doom, since it's a more simple game building on a great original by adding new levels, enemies, and weapons. This has a ton that can just go sideways. It's with the team I trust most to not have it go sideways, but I'll wait, too.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

42. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 12:11 chickenboo

Cutter wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 11:26:
Bonus point: Don't preorder on hype. Remember No Man's Sky? Remember Fallout 76?

Yes but CDPR has been around a long time and delivered a lot of quality goods including Witcher 3, ostensibly the best CRPG of all time. It has a huge team and budget. NMS was produced by 4 or 5 people with zero pedigree and very little monies. FO76 was a red flag from the beginning with its PVP-centric design. It wasn't designed to be a CRPG. And more people than not did not buy into it. When they announce the next TES or proper Fallout game people will certainly be on-board for it and rightfully so. As far as safe bets go CY2077 is one of them.

Oh, it's definitely a safe bet. Another safe bet is Doom Eternal. I'm still not going to pre-order, as tempting as it is. But I'll sure as hell buy it on release day.

41. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 12:07 El Pit

Simon Says wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 09:09:
El Pit wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 08:44:
On one hand, I want to support CDPR and GoG. On the other hand, I got hundreds of games I haven't even touched yet and that are now feature complete (bugs fixed and all add-ons released). Decisions, decisions...

Maybe this will sweeten the pot: https://www.gog.com/game/simply_red_cd_projekt_red_collection

For 69 Euros, 87$ USD or 115$ CAD you get on GOG:

Cyberpunk 2077
Witcher 3 GOTY Edition
Thronebreaker
Witcher 2 Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition
Witcher 1 Enhanced Edition
Witcher The Adventure Game

Sadly (not for CDPR or GoG, though), I already got all of those games. On GoG AND Steam actually, because I am too stupid to resist great sales on really good games - so I get them on BOTH platforms. Bah, whatever... Supported the right guys with this and they were cheap when I bought them on Steam, too.

Of course, I will buy CP2077 on GoG. Maybe on Steam later, too. But I will wait this time for the complete edition - up to then I will try to play and complete some smallish games (like AC: Odyssey).

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

40. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 11:26 Cutter

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

39. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 11:12 Acleacius

Ooc, we can still play as a female PC (Vera?) in the game, they are just showing the male toon this demo, correct?  

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

38. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 10:15 Beamer

Terminator, which you're saying no to, likely counts, as movies are multiple genres.

Videodrone, RoboCop, Tron, Blade Runner, and Lawnmower Man all have arguments.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 09:53 Kxmode

Here are five points to consider.

1. Based on the hour-long gameplay trailer a few months back, this trailer shows one possible outcome that has deadly consequences.

2. Johnny Mnemonic came out in 1995. Cyberpunk 2077 comes out on the 25th anniversary of that film.

4. Cyberpunk 2077 will be Keanu Reeve's fifth cyberpunk project giving him the honor of having starred in more cyberpunk entertainment projects than any other actor. Arnold Schwarzenegger for the Terminator series doesn't count since Terminator falls under the tech noir genre.

5. Keanu Reeves has more characters with the name John or variations of John than any other actor: Johnny Utah (Point Break), Jonathan Harker (Bram Stoker's Dracula), Don John (Much Ado About Nothing), Johnny Mnemonic, John Constantine (Constantine), John (Generation Um), John Wick, Johnny Silverhand (Cyberpunk 2077)

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

36. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 09:09 Simon Says

El Pit wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 08:44:
On one hand, I want to support CDPR and GoG. On the other hand, I got hundreds of games I haven't even touched yet and that are now feature complete (bugs fixed and all add-ons released). Decisions, decisions...

Maybe this will sweeten the pot: https://www.gog.com/game/simply_red_cd_projekt_red_collection

For 69 Euros, 87$ USD or 115$ CAD you get on GOG:

Cyberpunk 2077
Witcher 3 GOTY Edition
Thronebreaker
Witcher 2 Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition
Witcher 1 Enhanced Edition
Witcher The Adventure Game

"Buying on GOG also nets you a few exclusive bonuses not found elsewhere, these are an exclusive digital booklet about the game, some extra wallpapers and avatars, printable quality Cyberpunk 2077 posters and also a limited time 30% off coupon for the CD Projekt Red merchandise store."

"More important, every single penny/cent/rupee/monopoly dollar spent in this deal goes directly to the company making these games."

I think I'm gonna bite...

Edit: Or you can get it here at 60$ USD https://www.gog.com/game/cyberpunk_2077

Edit2: Couldn't resist... Now, just gotta wait til April 2020

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2019, 09:53.

35. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 08:44 El Pit

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

34. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 08:35 Pr()ZaC

Mugatu: Keanu is so hot right now.

I'll definitely buy the gog distribution.
100% of the monies will go to CD.

https://www.gog.com/game/cyberpunk_2077

33. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 06:02 SpectralMeat

Nate wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 21:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 20:05:
Release Date is right around the corner
Awesomesauce

Its releasing in April 16th, 2020. Right around the corner?
Compared to the SC release date, it is!

By the way, did anyone see the E3 presentation when Keanu Reeves was on stage?
I was laughing my ass off. I think he was drunk!

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2019, 06:19.

Steam: SpectralMeat

32. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 05:35 Creston

That is an awesome trailer but did they really just spoil that Jack is gonna die?? Maybe this is just one outcome of the mission. How incredible would it be if the story could deviate like that based on your choices in missions?

Fucking excited for this!!!

31. Re: Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 05:04 Slick

Also, did anyone else actually watch the bloody xbox presentation when Reeves walked out on stage? That guy sure know how to ham it up! It was glorious.

On a side note, wtf is it with kids these days not actually watching the presentation? Everyone I talked to in various discords all had some comment on what some guy said about the presentation on twitter, but none of them actually watched it themselves. It was beneath them or something... cock sucking kids these days.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

30. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 05:02 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 02:02:
Overon wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 23:12:
Now that the date has been announced those poor cd projekt red workers are going to be crunched to death during the "crunch" period.

"cock sucking attention damnit"

Dialogue designed for teenagers so it "adult." A more appropriate line would be "fucking attention god damnit" That would be a more reasonable line.

1. It's set in the future. Languages change

2. They're a Polish studio...

Dialogue is entirely dependent on the character.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

29. Re: Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 05:00 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 20:39:
First things first.... Nude Mod for the Cinematic cause... WOOF! Secondly, OH.... FUCK..... YEAH.
Thirdly.... fuck I need to finish Witcher 3.

Lol my thoughts exactly.

28. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 04:03 jdreyer

Asmodai wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 02:45:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 20:03:
Also, how much fucking money has CD Projekt RED spent on this game? Keanu as one of the voice actors +whatever it costs for his likeness? Ugh, it's cool, but that was probably 20million of their budget right there...

I'm willing to bet he did them a pretty sweet deal, Reeves has always been a huge fan of cyberpunk and I suspect he jumped at the chance.

Right, and it's not like he's making $50M a movie either. The entire budget for the first John Wick movie was only $20M

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

27. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 02:45 Asmodai

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 20:03:
Also, how much fucking money has CD Projekt RED spent on this game? Keanu as one of the voice actors +whatever it costs for his likeness? Ugh, it's cool, but that was probably 20million of their budget right there...

I'm willing to bet he did them a pretty sweet deal, Reeves has always been a huge fan of cyberpunk and I suspect he jumped at the chance.

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo