Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

The pollen around here is absolutely crazy today, which is saying something because it's been quite heavy for some time now. I don't generally suffer from allergies, but when it gets this bad, it starts to get to me. I've got the full raft of symptoms, sneezing, itchy eyes, runny nose, and my throat is starting to feel like it's actually accumulating a coating of pollen. I'm pretty sure that's not the actual case, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if bees start following me around.

Pollinated Links: Thanks Ant.
Science: Is it time to treat sugar like smoking? Thanks RedEye9.
Media: Ronald McDonald vs The Burger King. Epic Rap Battles of History. NSFW.
Who Started the Moon Landing Hoax Conspiracy Theory? Thanks RedEye9.
Southwest China Put On A Dazzling Drone Show.
The Funnies: 'Smart-Ass Phone' - FoxTrot.
View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Jun 10, 2019, 20:37 jdreyer

Watter wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 07:48:
Creston wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 05:38:
Sugar should absolutely be treated the same as smoking. It ruins your health.
If you're saying that we as a society should increase our awareness of the impact of sugar on our health, I'm on board. I couldn't agree more; it's used far too often in far too many things. If, instead, what's being implied is that we are all too dull for our own good and we need some bureaucrat big brother (local/state/national government) looking out for us and determining our behavior, I'll politely disagree. Work to make people aware of the impact of their choice (i.e. inform them) and I believe most people will eventually change their behavior. It's a slow process but it's a lot better than setting a precedent for absolute government control over every aspect of our lives.

Where would we draw the line? Sitting and gaming too much "ruins your health". Too much pizza "ruins your health". Should we have somemone in the statehouse telling us "You! Yes, you -- only 2 hours a week of gaming", "3 slices of pizza a month".

Then again, we're already halfway there...

By your logic, heroin and cocaine should be legal and liberally added to infant formula and children's candy.

Billion dollar corporations exploit human psychology & physiology and sacrifice our health for profit. You're damn right I want some government regs on sugar. Should have happened decades ago. Sugar is a huge reason why health insurance is so expensive: perfectly preventable diseases are caused/exacerbated by sugar.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Jun 10, 2019, 13:02 chickenboo

Watter wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 07:48:
If you're saying that we as a society should increase our awareness of the impact of sugar on our health, I'm on board. I couldn't agree more; it's used far too often in far too many things. If, instead, what's being implied is that we are all too dull for our own good and we need some bureaucrat big brother (local/state/national government) looking out for us and determining our behavior, I'll politely disagree. Work to make people aware of the impact of their choice (i.e. inform them) and I believe most people will eventually change their behavior. It's a slow process but it's a lot better than setting a precedent for absolute government control over every aspect of our lives.

Where would we draw the line? Sitting and gaming too much "ruins your health". Too much pizza "ruins your health". Should we have somemone in the statehouse telling us "You! Yes, you -- only 2 hours a week of gaming", "3 slices of pizza a month".

A simple sugar tax would be a start, no bureaucracy required. Funds raised could go directly to wherever tax funds go.

12. matthew@welchkin.net Jun 10, 2019, 07:48 Watter

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2019, 05:38 Creston

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2019, 21:07 The Half Elf

Blue, it's not pollen or allergies. What you have is commonly refered to as... "I DONT WANT TO FUCKING MOVE!" Syndrome. Side Effects include people offering help and not really meaning it, and asking friends/family members with trucks to borrow their vehicles.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2019, 19:12 RedEye9

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 17:38:
goodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodplease
Keanu can do no wrong.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2019, 19:09 Jivaro

Kxmode wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 19:02:
Cyberpunk 2077 — Official E3 2019 Cinematic Trailer with Keanu Reeves!

I came here to post the same thing. I did not see that coming. No idea if it's good or bad or neither, but I do like Reeves as an actor.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2019, 19:02 Kxmode

Cyberpunk 2077 — Official E3 2019 Cinematic Trailer with Keanu Reeves!  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2019, 17:38 RedEye9

goodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodplease

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2019, 15:18 Cutter

Yeah, I just gave my ride a serious wash and wax on Chewsday and two days later it was just covered in pollen. Hosed it off but I'm miffed. Every 2 days it's just covered in pollen. So wish I had a garage. And I drive too regularly to make a car cover practical.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2019, 14:12 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 14:01:
Who Started the Moon Landing Hoax Conspiracy Theory?

Not a conspiracy if it's true, yo.

Why do you think we only see one side of the Moon? BECAUSE IT'S A FLAT DISK, just like the Earth! The government hired Pink Floyd to write that album.

the lunatic in on the grass

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2019, 14:01 jdreyer

Who Started the Moon Landing Hoax Conspiracy Theory?

Not a conspiracy if it's true, yo.

Why do you think we only see one side of the Moon? BECAUSE IT'S A FLAT DISK, just like the Earth! The government hired Pink Floyd to write that album.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2019, 13:11 RedEye9

Edgar Rice Burroughs was fun, but i doubt he rapped.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2019, 12:46 verybad1

ERB's always fun.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >