Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Baldur's Gate III Announced

Today's Google Stadia event included the announcement of Baldur's Gate III, confirming indications that this will be developed (and published) by Divinity creators Larian Studios. The unveiling of the D&D RPG sequel includes an announcement teaser trailer and word that the Baldur's Gate III website is online, as are the game's listings on GOG.com and Steam. There's also an article about the game on IGN with quotes from Larian on the project. Here's what they are announcing for now, which does not include a release date:

Larian Studios is proud to announce that it is developing and publishing Baldur’s Gate III on PC and Google Stadia. Created in close collaboration with the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast, Baldur’s Gate III is based off current D&D mechanics and spells and is the official new chapter in the legendary series.

Baldur’s Gate III will push the boundaries of the RPG genre and offer a rich narrative with unparalleled player freedom, high-stakes decisions, unique companion characters and memorable combat. It is Larian Studios’ biggest production ever and will be playable together with friends or as a single-player adventure.

The teaser trailer shows a return of a malevolent presence to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out, corrupting everything that remains in the Forgotten Realms.

Alone you may resist, but together you can overcome. Gather your party.

“Baldur's Gate means so much to so many people. It's a great responsibility but I think we're ready for it,” said Swen Vincke, Creative Director at Larian Studios. “We're all about creating reactive, systemic worlds that respect player agency and having a chance to apply our team's skillset in a universe as rich as Dungeons & Dragons is a lot of fun. We're working very closely with Wizards to bring an unprecedented level of immersion to the realm of Faerun and I can't wait to show the world what our team cooked up."

“Partnering with Larian, a studio that combines a remarkable history of critically-acclaimed titles with a genuine passion for one of the most iconic locations in Dungeons & Dragons, has been a terrific experience,” said Chris Cocks, President of Wizards of the Coast. “We believe fans of the Baldur’s Gate saga – and even those new to the series – will be thrilled to step into this epic story.”

Larian Studios plans to work closely with the global community to bring the coveted series to life, with more news to follow over the course of the year.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 10, 2019, 16:29 grudgebearer

Quinn wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 17:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 16:32:
Cram wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 16:08:
Quinn wrote on Jun 8, 2019, 15:43:
Is it really Baldur's Gate in the teaser? It would make sense, naturally, but it screamed Luskan to me. Isn't it the mage/lich-tower in the distance, iconic to Luskan?

Edit: No matter, it's definitely Baldur's Gate. XD

I'd like to know what those figures in the sky were, seen during the lightning, once the Mind Flayer starts floating. The very last lightning strike shows a massive figure in the sky along with all the smaller ones.

It's how Mindflayers travel through the planes, a living plane-traveling tentacle monster they "capture" and mind-control to serve them

I'm curious how they'll make this plot work. Illithids are so OP, so unless you're a band of Jarlaxles I don't see how the protagonist will survive one minute in a believable fashion.

Just got to make those will saves and/or get close enough for physical attacks.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 9, 2019, 17:51 Quinn

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 16:32:
Is it really Baldur's Gate in the teaser? It would make sense, naturally, but it screamed Luskan to me. Isn't it the mage/lich-tower in the distance, iconic to Luskan?

I'd like to know what those figures in the sky were, seen during the lightning, once the Mind Flayer starts floating. The very last lightning strike shows a massive figure in the sky along with all the smaller ones.

It's how Mindflayers travel through the planes, a living plane-traveling tentacle monster they "capture" and mind-control to serve them

I'm curious how they'll make this plot work. Illithids are so OP, so unless you're a band of Jarlaxles I don't see how the protagonist will survive one minute in a believable fashion.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

47. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 9, 2019, 16:32 eRe4s3r

46. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 9, 2019, 16:08 Cram

45. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 8, 2019, 15:43 Quinn

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2019, 15:55.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

44. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 23:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 22:43:
I haven't played an RPG that had RTwP combat since the original BG games.
Question: do they let you slow the combat down, a la Supreme Commander? Or is it binary (paused or full speed)?

Both Pillars of Eternity games have RTWP, with a game speed (half, full, double?) set of buttons as well.

The aforementioned Pathfinder:Kingmaker is also RTWP, but with a far sharper difficulty curve than either PoEt game.

That said, you should play all three, and PoEt 2 now has a turn based mode if you simply must use it.

Drakensang 1 and 2, Tower of Time, Kyn, A Farewell to Dragons, also all had RTWP, to various levels of success. All of these games are post BG2, pre BG3. Be warned, some of these are far off the AAA beaten path and come from deep in Eastern Europe.

*Disclaimer: I am a RPG addict, be it RTWP or TB, and will at least try pretty much any party based RPG.

Then there's games like We are the Dwarves, Soldiers of Anarchy, etc. that are borderline ARPG with parties, but also RTWP... I honestly think that post BG2, a LOT of developers tried to use RTWP instead of turn based.

43. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 22:43 jdreyer

I haven't played an RPG that had RTwP combat since the original BG games.
Question: do they let you slow the combat down, a la Supreme Commander? Or is it binary (paused or full speed)?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

42. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 21:34 SunnyD

Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!! RRrrraAAugh!!!!!

~Finis~

41. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 15:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 14:45:
Pathfinder: Kingmaker soured me on the concept of RTwP entirely. I now actually also start to hate Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 (before the TB update) because you have so little control in battles and things happen so quickly that it completely destroys any tactics. Just do any ship boarding fight in PoE2 for an idea what I mean, 30% of your people will be dead before you even get to click anywhere.

Hrm yeah, Pathfinder:Kingmaker is an extremely strong argument AGAINST RTWP, especially late game where those overpowered elves shoot 10 arrows a second, while constantly charming and stunning at range...

PoEt 2 though? Meh, it was a bit of a struggle at the very early stages of the game, but I just paused a little sooner. Tankier is better early on.

Seriously though, I don't think Larian can make a mistake in BG3, as far as RTWP or TB, I'll get it unless they start selling horse armor DLC pre-release.

40. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 15:08 grudgebearer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 14:45:
grudgebearer wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 14:14:
Darks wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 10:16:
Verno wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 07:58:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 22:32:
I like RTWP, especially for BG type games, simply because Turn Based starts to become a drag if you have a LOT of fights. That said, Larian is so good with their D:OS turn based engine I'd be surprised if this game wasn't also turn based.

Also I saw this announcement before it was on Bluesnews, but it only mentioned Google Stadia. Thank all the D&D Gods it'll be on Gog too.

Also part two, apparently I'm way out of date on D&D lore... Illithids can just infect/inhabit/take over another humanoid like that? Since when? Just curious, I'll roll with it regardless.

Yeah I'm kinda with you on that. I'm replaying Pillars of Eternity 2 and its still a fun game with the new turn based mode but it limits a lot of usable mechanics like weapon speed and bleeds. It also makes trash fights obnoxious and drag on forever.

RTWP has its flaws but it moves at a solid pace and opens up a lot more depth in the combat.

Either way I'm going to get it so whatever haha.

RTWP works really well especially in Coop games where you have multiple people controlling their own characters.

And honestly, I'm burned out on Turned based games. Sins 2 was fun playing Coop, but it like you all said got boring and slowed the game down to much. Still we had a lot of fun.

It doesn't work in systems with concepts like initiative, rounds, or facing. At least none of the implementations of it have worked out well. Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a good example of a modern implementation of d20 rules using RTwP, and like its predecessors, it's broken in the same areas.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker soured me on the concept of RTwP entirely. I now actually also start to hate Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 (before the TB update) because you have so little control in battles and things happen so quickly that it completely destroys any tactics. Just do any ship boarding fight in PoE2 for an idea what I mean, 30% of your people will be dead before you even get to click anywhere.

That was pretty much my experience as well. RTwP nullifies charge mechanics, threat range, and a lot of AoE magic. It might work if used with an IP that wasn't turn-based to begin with, just doesn't with d20. Return to Temple of Elemental Evil, for all of its flaws, still ran circles around the infinity engine games when it came to combat.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

39. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 14:45 eRe4s3r

grudgebearer wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 14:14:
I like RTWP, especially for BG type games, simply because Turn Based starts to become a drag if you have a LOT of fights. That said, Larian is so good with their D:OS turn based engine I'd be surprised if this game wasn't also turn based.

Also I saw this announcement before it was on Bluesnews, but it only mentioned Google Stadia. Thank all the D&D Gods it'll be on Gog too.

Also part two, apparently I'm way out of date on D&D lore... Illithids can just infect/inhabit/take over another humanoid like that? Since when? Just curious, I'll roll with it regardless.

Yeah I'm kinda with you on that. I'm replaying Pillars of Eternity 2 and its still a fun game with the new turn based mode but it limits a lot of usable mechanics like weapon speed and bleeds. It also makes trash fights obnoxious and drag on forever.

RTWP has its flaws but it moves at a solid pace and opens up a lot more depth in the combat.

RTWP works really well especially in Coop games where you have multiple people controlling their own characters.

And honestly, I'm burned out on Turned based games. Sins 2 was fun playing Coop, but it like you all said got boring and slowed the game down to much. Still we had a lot of fun.

It doesn't work in systems with concepts like initiative, rounds, or facing. At least none of the implementations of it have worked out well. Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a good example of a modern implementation of d20 rules using RTwP, and like its predecessors, it's broken in the same areas.

38. Re: Quake II RTX Specs Jun 7, 2019, 14:44 saluk

Yifes wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 06:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 03:27:
Personally I'd rather it be true to DnD 5 than true to Infinity Engine games, as much as I like BG2, the combat system in Infinity engine games is not particularly good nor true to the ruleset for that matter (movement, cover etc.)

Really hope they don't make it true to DnD 5e. 5e is streamlined and while it's good for a pen and paper setting, it really lacks tactical depth and customization. There's not much you can do with its limited feat system to really distinguish your character from someone else's.

I'd much rather see Larian use their own creativity but that's probably unlikely given WotC's involvement.

Actually, I think 5e would be pretty good better to build a game off of. Yes, it is streamlined, but the tactical depth/customization can be included in the game's mechanics, giving the devs a bit more flexibility than the more rigid older versions allowed.

37. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 14:14 grudgebearer

-Robert Heinlein

36. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 11:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dammit, this game is probably years away, and I'm already getting more hyped up!

CJ_Parker is right in that they probably should have explored a different area, but WotC and Larian probably wanted to get a solid hit in before they start branching out.

Reading that URL that Darks posted...hype level rising.

35. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 10:44 HorrorScope

RTwP needs AI scripts you can edit, it's a two win situation.

1. You can then make your characters do what you want them to as-if you were controlling them by turn.

2. It becomes a strategic part of the game, coming up with the best AI you can think of. Situational AI, make it so you can quickly change AI scripts whenever you like. We know that editable scripts with RTwP have been done, but I'm talking about levels we haven't seen before, to the point that this is a engrossing part of the game.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2019, 10:50.

34. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 10:23 Quinn

Illithids! Fucking awesome! Man these bastards are OP and should stay in the Underdark.

I'm a crazy, mad Forgotten Realms fan but strangely enough I haven't even closely reached Nerd Level. I'm probably even wrong about thinking the Illithids originate from the Underdark?

I hope Guenwhyvar shows up in the game. Probably won't. Neither will Drizzit T_T

Madly excited. I feel fucking 17 again.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

33. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 10:21 Darks

Yifes wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 06:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 03:27:
Personally I'd rather it be true to DnD 5 than true to Infinity Engine games, as much as I like BG2, the combat system in Infinity engine games is not particularly good nor true to the ruleset for that matter (movement, cover etc.)

Really hope they don't make it true to DnD 5e. 5e is streamlined and while it's good for a pen and paper setting, it really lacks tactical depth and customization. There's not much you can do with its limited feat system to really distinguish your character from someone else's.

I'd much rather see Larian use their own creativity but that's probably unlikely given WotC's involvement.

Read this interview with the devs and what they say about the 5th gen rules and how they dont work so well in a PC game. he outlines how they are making changes so it works on PC. We saw this kind of issues with Sword Coast Legends too and why they made changes and added cool-downs to the combat system.

That kind of irked some people but it was something that had to happen to make the rules work better. Truthfully, WOTC needs to adapt a new set of rules just for the PC games.

https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-will-combine-the-best-of-divinity-and-dandd-5th-edition/

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

32. Re: We Happy Few Delay; Refunds Jun 7, 2019, 10:18 El Pit

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 03:17:
El Pit wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 02:44:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 02:18:
As for BG III, it's a solid meh.

It's already out?! Stunned

Yes. The cat is out of the bag.

Now I'm totally confused. The mindflayer is actually a cat? AND the game has already been released? WOW! Many surprises came with this game's release (whenever that happened). Amazed

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

31. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 10:16 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

30. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 08:34 MacLeod

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 05:31:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 05:29:
Larian does excellent work.

Is that how mind flayers work tho?

That's how they lore wise reproduce.

Not quite that fast, I believe, though.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >