Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play?

Our newsfeed alerted us to an Engadget report on a free-to-play Destiny 2 announcement that was gone by the time we got there. But VG247 has a screencap of the story, which was presumably removed because it spoiled the announcement from this afternoon's reveal of a new chapter for the shooter sequel. According to the screencap, the F2P transition will happen on September 17th upon the release of a new Shadowkeep expansion, which will be a premium item. Here's what this says about plans to make the base version of the game free:

With the move to free-to-play, the core game will be called Destiny 2: New Light and will feature all year one content, including "foundational modes, activities and rewards."

This represents a change for the Destiny franchise as it seeks to lure gamers away from popular free titles like Fortnite. Previously, players paid upfront for the game and bought big expansions to gain access to new raids, missions, and in-game items, either separately, or as an annual pass subscription. Now, the core game will stay free, while additional content will be made available in the form of " la carte" offerings like Shadowkeep.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 7, 2019, 12:53 Flatline

grudgebearer wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 19:28:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1085660/Destiny_2/

Doesn't seem to be going F2P any time soon...

More interesting to me is this:
*Season Pass redeemed when logging in. If players already own the current Season Pass, they will receive credit toward future Seasons up until Season 11. Any credits beyond Season 11 will be exchanged for an equivalent value of Silver.

So we're in I think season 6? With 3 seasons of content a year, that leaves around 2 years of content left. Interesting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 7, 2019, 12:50 Flatline

Pepe wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 16:37:
The game itself is pretty good, the grind to get the special weapons is mindnumbingly dull and I have all but geven up, have a lot more fun with the division 2 atm.

I was working on the ace of spades gun in destiny 2 but near the end there is this idiotic get X amount of headshot kills in PVP with a handcannon that I thought F- this.

No idea why a quest line that started in PVE all of a sudden you needed to do PVP and such a specific thing that is pretty hard for someone like me who basically avoided all pvp in that game to begin with.

Bungie has an irrational love affair with PvP. Almost all multi-stage pursuits end up having a PvP grind of doom in them. I'm pissed they paywalled the Ace of Spades pursuit and then put in that crappy grind.

16. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 19:28 grudgebearer

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1085660/Destiny_2/

Doesn't seem to be going F2P any time soon...

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

15. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 18:22 phinn

A friend gave me his free key when he bought a GTX card a couple years ago. Gotta admit the game was fun at first but lost interest after a couple weeks. If it goes free-to-play I would absolutely reinstall to level up and try raids.  

14. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 16:37 Pepe

Flatline wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 12:00:
Darks wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 11:32:
Bill Borre wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 10:54:
I don't think it will help. This game just isn't very interesting.

This is going to be the downfall of the game, they will monetize the hell out of this game now.

As opposed to the microtransactions now?

I actually don't think this is going to do much. Weren't they giving away the core game for a while? Or still are? I've got like 300 hours in the game, so I've gotten my money's worth, although the year 1 content drop was pretty anemic (warmind was okay but FFS the loot is obsolete now in the core game and they never went back and upgraded the loot).

Giving away the core game and selling the expansion packs/season passes seems like a decent move. I'll say that while I don't like the grind, Forsaken is a MASSIVE content drop. It's just reaching the final package of content. It's dropped with a brief but tasty single player story, like 3 or 4 new game modes including PvE and PvPvE and at least 3 raids that I'm aware of. The original Forsaken drop was lousy with secrets and hidden systems. Not bad for the 50 bucks I think I paid for it.

The problem is that the grind is psychotic and really not that much fun any more. The black armory forge cycle might be the worst so far- grind forges for drops that let you eventually buy a frame. Go grind a bunch of pre-reqs to "charge" the frame, then go grind forges again to forge the frame. I think I've only unlocked half the forges because the grind became mind-numbing.

We'll see what the next season holds. Hopefully the concepts they have coming down the pipeline will be good.

The game itself is pretty good, the grind to get the special weapons is mindnumbingly dull and I have all but geven up, have a lot more fun with the division 2 atm.

I was working on the ace of spades gun in destiny 2 but near the end there is this idiotic get X amount of headshot kills in PVP with a handcannon that I thought F- this.

No idea why a quest line that started in PVE all of a sudden you needed to do PVP and such a specific thing that is pretty hard for someone like me who basically avoided all pvp in that game to begin with.

13. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 16:30 HorrorScope

Yep they put up the next expansion for sale Shadowkeep $35. So this isn't traditional FTP at all, more like Guild Wars.  

12. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 16:16 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 16:07:
Funny I thought it was free to play and they just added more content to free to play. They are still charging a pretty penny for their more recent content and no reason to think future content will be free. These is a lot of twisting going on here from both company and players. You sort of just have to know what is going on here, for what this is, it's a pretty smart model. Get people in and hope they like it and will pay for Forsaken/Season Pass. I know one thing, paying for all the D2 content as it was released, was EXPENSIVE!

As for fear of microtransactions, I guess I'd have to see them suck first.

Exactly. I forsee the model basically being a yearly DLC drop for 50-60 bucks and after 12-24 months it gets released to the rest of the game for free. If you want to keep up with the joneses, and you will if you're in a clan, you'll pay. Otherwise you keep the general population for matchmaking up by bringing in tourists. They can always drop 50 to get up to speed at that point.

11. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 16:07 HorrorScope

Funny I thought it was free to play and they just added more content to free to play. They are still charging a pretty penny for their more recent content and no reason to think future content will be free. These is a lot of twisting going on here from both company and players. You sort of just have to know what is going on here, for what this is, it's a pretty smart model. Get people in and hope they like it and will pay for Forsaken/Season Pass. I know one thing, paying for all the D2 content as it was released, was EXPENSIVE!

As for fear of microtransactions, I guess I'd have to see them suck first.

10. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 16:06 jacobvandy

I played through the base game a couple times, but the DLC didn't interest me enough to pay more just so I could continue on that endgame mill... but I might go back if they're making that first season of add-ons free.  

9. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 14:36 Alamar

Darks wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 12:06:
This argument gets so tiring, the current micro-transactions currently are nothing ore them cosmetic items that can be obtained by just playing the game. You dont have to buy anything to play the game or any missions.

Whats going to evolve now will be much worst. They will be adding all kinds of stuff that will be game breaking items. Watch and see!

This argument gets so tiring, the fear mongering about how the game is going to change to P2W...

I personally thoroughly enjoyed D2, and would like to go back to it, again, at some point... But going F2P does absolutely nothing for those that already threw some money at it, but I guess that's the point... But it makes me sad.

They're going to give away a great deal of content, and then the people that were on the fence previously might enjoy it enough to pay for the new stuff.

8. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 14:20 Cutter

Yeah. My sentiments exactly. It was more of a chore grinding through it.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

7. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 14:14 Riahderymnmaddog

BUT I PAID FULL PRICE!!!!!!!!!!! I AM OUTRAGE!!  

6. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 12:06 Darks

Flatline wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 12:00:

This is going to be the downfall of the game, they will monetize the hell out of this game now.

I actually don't think this is going to do much. Weren't they giving away the core game for a while? Or still are? I've got like 300 hours in the game, so I've gotten my money's worth, although the year 1 content drop was pretty anemic (warmind was okay but FFS the loot is obsolete now in the core game and they never went back and upgraded the loot).

Giving away the core game and selling the expansion packs/season passes seems like a decent move. I'll say that while I don't like the grind, Forsaken is a MASSIVE content drop. It's just reaching the final package of content. It's dropped with a brief but tasty single player story, like 3 or 4 new game modes including PvE and PvPvE and at least 3 raids that I'm aware of. The original Forsaken drop was lousy with secrets and hidden systems. Not bad for the 50 bucks I think I paid for it.

The problem is that the grind is psychotic and really not that much fun any more. The black armory forge cycle might be the worst so far- grind forges for drops that let you eventually buy a frame. Go grind a bunch of pre-reqs to "charge" the frame, then go grind forges again to forge the frame. I think I've only unlocked half the forges because the grind became mind-numbing.

We'll see what the next season holds. Hopefully the concepts they have coming down the pipeline will be good.

This argument gets so tiring, the current micro-transactions currently are nothing ore them cosmetic items that can be obtained by just playing the game. You dont have to buy anything to play the game or any missions.

Whats going to evolve now will be much worst. They will be adding all kinds of stuff that will be game breaking items. Watch and see!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

5. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 12:03 El Pit

Wait for BioWare's Anthem to come out, it will wipe the floor with Destiny 2! Right, guys? Guys?! Hello?!  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

4. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 12:00 Flatline

3. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 11:46 aka_STEVE

too late....... but really at this point, could it hurt ??

My only issue while playing this was actual, interesting different content to look at/ fight in. The controls & shooting/ movement were all spot on great but everything was so boring , very quickly.

2. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 11:32 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

1. Re: Destiny 2 Going Free-to-Play? Jun 6, 2019, 10:54 Bill Borre

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo