Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Quake II RTX Released

Quake II RTX is now available for Windows and Linux, fulfilling the promise of a version of this classic FPS from 1997 updated to support NVIDIA's ray-tracing tech. This can be picked up for free on Steam or the GeForce website, though the latter seems to be suffering under the demand at this moment. The free version is the three shareware levels as a demo, but this also supports the full version of the game, which is all of $4.99 USD on Steam. Here's more:

Download Quake II RTX
Quake II RTX is fully ray-traced and includes the 3 levels from the original shareware distribution.

Game Description
Shortly after landing on an alien surface, you learn that hundreds of your men have been reduced to just a few. Now you must fight your way through heavily fortified military installations, lower the city's defenses and shut down the enemy's war machine. Only then will the fate of humanity be known.

About Quake II RTX
Quake II RTX builds on the work of Christoph Schied and the team at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, who added ray tracing to Quake II to create Q2VKPT (in turn building upon the Q2PRO code base). NVIDIA has introduced new path-traced visual effects, has improved texturing, and has made dozens of other changes and improvements, resulting in an experience that rivals games created today, and pushes your RTX hardware to the limit.

Buy Quake II
Purchase the game to access all levels as well as multiplayer support.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 9, 2019, 19:29 RedEye9

Here's a video explaining why you have to have a 2k card or it looks like shit.
https://youtu.be/sFhc951RhfI

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 7, 2019, 13:35 Scheherazade

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 03:55:
Ok, anyone here with an RTX card trying to play this?

I could really use some help with eliminatng the input lag (VSYNC is OFF)

It's terrible, and makes the game almost unplayable. With that said, it really looks and runs nice.

2080ti.

FPS is "good". (I.e. 60+hz)

(personally, I don't play stuff under 120hz, so I would call it "bad" for me, but that's not a transferable assessment)

Input lag is immense. Not usable in multiplayer, and actually hard to aim in single player (unless you slowly roll onto each enemy, you can't really flick aim.)

The game is still Quake2. No amount of lighting and new textures will make it compete with today's AAA titles for looks.

But the lighting itself, is a step above AAA. The warmth and natural feel/behavior is on point.
Take it for what it is : A _really_good_ unified lighting/illumination demo.

2 card generations from now, this will be the standard lighting model for anything attempting realism.

-scheherazade

32. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 7, 2019, 11:00 Beamer

Some people just want to believe every single person, particularly corporate entity, is out to get them at every step, and therefore every single thing they say is a blatant lie.

It's a lightweight form of paranoia.

Don't get me wrong, many companies are out to get you, and many things companies say are lies. But not everything. And the more technical a company gets, the less likely it is to be a lie. The lies are the things hard to prove, or sugarcoated so that, if you squint, it's not quite a lie, just a gloss-over or exaggeration.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 7, 2019, 10:12 Verno

WaltC wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 19:45:
D3d DXR does not equal ray tracing, much less in real time--it doesn't matter whose GPU it is. If you want to see how real ray tracing works, fire up the Cinebench 20 Benchmark for ray tracing a small, low res single frame in "real time" on the fastest AMD or Intel CPUs today. If you really want to see how ray tracing works, load up Lightwave or any other ray-tracer and render a few ray-traced frames. (It will take minutes to hours to days to render a single frame depending how complex the frame is.) nVidia even states in the fine print that RTX is called "hybrid rendering" (internally by nVidia)--because, as nVidia states in the fine print, their GPUs do not have the horsepower--far, far from it--to actually ray trace a frame in "real time"--at 30 fps and up, etc. It's just another form of rasterization. Still, nVidia marketing doesn't give that impression but rather puts the facts into fine print...;) Lots of marketing is the same--it's a caveat emptor world we live in.

Not even the original demo nVidia circulated with its RTX products was rendered on an RTX product--but was a 2d compilation of frames compiled into a 2d videoclip, rendered on much more expensive nVidia hardware than RTX and certainly not in "real time". None of the shiny Star Wars chrome reflection nVidia circulated in the "demo" was even rendered on an RTX product! nVidia, to its credit, never tried to hide it--they came right out and told you what hardware they used to render each frame, and they even identified the companies nVidia paid to compile the frames in the 2d animation that you saw. It baffles me why this is difficult for anyone to understand...? What nVidia is doing is pre-programmed rasterization, programmed to mimic what you might see in a real ray-traced frame or scene--at least in terms of global illumination--which is the only part of a frame that RTX tries to counterfeit. It's not "real-time ray tracing" simply because nVidia says it is. Often consumers are asked to choose between marketing hyperbole and facts, and I can see how some folks might mistake the marketing talk for facts, at least initially. It's bound to be confusing for people who have no experience with ray tracing programs, but that is only as nVidia marketing intends.

I'm sure you're an unbiased source on this subject and I will definitely listen to your opinion over the rest of the industry Rolleyes . Your post makes little sense and doesn't contrast well with docs from developers and Nvidia so /shrug

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

30. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 7, 2019, 09:13 Nullity

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 22:47:
Drayth wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 22:26:
nVidia even states in the fine print that RTX is called "hybrid rendering"

True of other games, not of this.
"Quake II RTX is fully ray-traced and includes the 3 levels from the original shareware distribution."

Also there's no issues with grainy images on actual RTX cards, apparently.
WaltC was quoting Nvidia on what RTX cards are really doing.

We've been sold a very expensive bill of goods.
No, as usual, WaltC's explanation of how this works is wrong (you should know better by now :P). The only thing he said that was correct is that it's a hybrid rendering technique, and that it's not exactly the same as traditional 3D modeling software. Everything else was nonsense, including his attempt to explain what that means. Even your own linked Nvidia article confirms this.

I completely agree that this first generation of RTX cards is not worth buying. The real-time ray-tracing tech is brand new and the performance just isn't there yet, not to mention the absurd price of the cards. That said, this technology is impressive and is basically the beginning of a new epoch in computer gaming. It's not a fad or a gimmick, just immature. It will continually get better and faster, using more cast rays to improve fidelity (for example) and slowly get closer and closer to "real" ray-tracing. Eventually it will be as ubiquitous as rasterization is now, and you'll wonder how we ever played games without it.

29. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 7, 2019, 09:10 Razumen

Verno wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 13:19:
Meh, its new tech. I remember the early days of 3d accelerator addin cards. Raytracing is going to be A Thing, both next gen consoles are going to be doing DXR with AMD APUs. The performance will get there over time.

D3d DXR does not equal ray tracing, much less in real time--it doesn't matter whose GPU it is. If you want to see how real ray tracing works, fire up the Cinebench 20 Benchmark for ray tracing a small, low res single frame in "real time" on the fastest AMD or Intel CPUs today. If you really want to see how ray tracing works, load up Lightwave or any other ray-tracer and render a few ray-traced frames. (It will take minutes to hours to days to render a single frame depending how complex the frame is.) nVidia even states in the fine print that RTX is called "hybrid rendering" (internally by nVidia)--because, as nVidia states in the fine print, their GPUs do not have the horsepower--far, far from it--to actually ray trace a frame in "real time"--at 30 fps and up, etc. It's just another form of rasterization. Still, nVidia marketing doesn't give that impression but rather puts the facts into fine print...;) Lots of marketing is the same--it's a caveat emptor world we live in.

Not even the original demo nVidia circulated with its RTX products was rendered on an RTX product--but was a 2d compilation of frames compiled into a 2d videoclip, rendered on much more expensive nVidia hardware than RTX and certainly not in "real time". None of the shiny Star Wars chrome reflection nVidia circulated in the "demo" was even rendered on an RTX product! nVidia, to its credit, never tried to hide it--they came right out and told you what hardware they used to render each frame, and they even identified the companies nVidia paid to compile the frames in the 2d animation that you saw. It baffles me why this is difficult for anyone to understand...? What nVidia is doing is pre-programmed rasterization, programmed to mimic what you might see in a real ray-traced frame or scene--at least in terms of global illumination--which is the only part of a frame that RTX tries to counterfeit. It's not "real-time ray tracing" simply because nVidia says it is. Often consumers are asked to choose between marketing hyperbole and facts, and I can see how some folks might mistake the marketing talk for facts, at least initially. It's bound to be confusing for people who have no experience with ray tracing programs, but that is only as nVidia marketing intends.

Yeah no, just because they're only using it for select effects, doesn't make it not ray tracing. If you actually even read the article you'd realize that they are in fact doing ray tracing, and that's why it needs a denoiser and also runs like crap on anything without RTX cores.

28. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 7, 2019, 03:55 VaranDragon

Ok, anyone here with an RTX card trying to play this?

I could really use some help with eliminatng the input lag (VSYNC is OFF)

It's terrible, and makes the game almost unplayable. With that said, it really looks and runs nice.

27. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 7, 2019, 00:26 Drayth

Oh I know, but even I didn't realize the Q2 RTX edition isn't doing hybrid rendering until I watched the vid I linked in my same post. I assumed he didn't either, along most others here.

And for the record, I don't own an RTX card myself. Ignoring their cost, I'm excited for the new tech.

26. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 7, 2019, 00:11 jdreyer

"Quake II RTX is fully ray-traced and includes the 3 levels from the original shareware distribution."

Only if you bought (and didn't return) an RTX card.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

25. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 22:47 RedEye9

24. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 22:26 Drayth

23. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 20:40 phinn

My rig is a i5-9600K and GTX 1080. Ran and looked better than Q2VKPT at least at 10-20fps. It's almost playable with render scale turned down and ray traced global illum on low. That said damn it looks gorgeous maxed out makes me want to sell my 1080 for a 2070 to play it at 60fps on these settings

It's 1997 all over again, although back then 30fps and 640x480 was acceptable!

22. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 20:12 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 14:04:
Xero wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 12:10:
I kind of want to re-play Quake II, but I don't want to see it lag on my 1070ti just because of RTX bs.

I'm assuming I can get it and turn off RTX to play the game the way it was meant to be played?

If your GPU doesn't have RTX, I would think you'd want something like this to update Q2.

Realtime per-pixel lighting and shadow volumes
Bumpmap
Detailed bumpmap
Specularmap
Parallax
Vertex buffer objects (VBO)
Vertex and fragment programs
Occlusion tests
Distorts
Mirrors
Fog
Advanced particle system and emitters
Client-side animated models
Decal system
High-resolution textures

started in 2008 and the last update was in 2018NSFW

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2019, 20:38.

21. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 19:59 ventry

jdreyer wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 14:04:
Xero wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 12:10:
I kind of want to re-play Quake II, but I don't want to see it lag on my 1070ti just because of RTX bs.

I'm assuming I can get it and turn off RTX to play the game the way it was meant to be played?

If your GPU doesn't have RTX, I would think you'd want something like this to update Q2.

Now that looks awesome. Will have to give it a go.
Thanks for that.

20. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 19:45 WaltC

Verno wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 13:19:
Meh, its new tech. I remember the early days of 3d accelerator addin cards. Raytracing is going to be A Thing, both next gen consoles are going to be doing DXR with AMD APUs. The performance will get there over time.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

19. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 16:30 VaranDragon

Well it runs just fine on an RTX2060. Solid 60FPS with no slowdowns. However....the input lag is attrocious. Until they patch that it's not even worth playing.  

18. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 15:23 Verno

IMO people should just ignore this stuff and buy an Ampere 7nm card in 2020. If you have a 1070 or less then you can adjust settings to get better performance and a 1080 or more then you're set for awhile anyway, upgrading is just a luxury.

I had look at a video on Youtube since I was bored and it seems..fine? There is a few comparison videos and it seemed OK for a game that is from 1997. I'm not rushing out to upgrade to a 2080ti just because Quake 2 looks better regardless lol. Oh well I'll take a look in a few hours and see how it is.

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

17. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 15:04 Xero

Yeah I'm sorry but if Nvidia's thought process to allow RTX on older hardware was just to upgrade, they got the wrong person. I'm sure there are plenty gullible enough for their tactics, but the decent intelligent person would know that there aren't enough games out right now that require all that power that a 1080ti couldn't handle. We just aren't there yet. It's a current waste of money.

I've always been one to upgrade when the timing is right. My current card has to absolutely be showing it's age and even then, the games out have to be worth it. I'm not just going to upgrade to stare at a beautiful game that plays like sh!t.

My current build is going on 5 years. It began with a 970gtx and has been upgraded to a 1070ti late last year. I don't have a super fancy monitor so that's probably why I just don't care or need a better card. It handles everything I throw at it with no issues at 1080p.

Staying away from 4K gaming until I'm ready to upgrade my entire build.

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Turok 2, RE2

16. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 15:03 RedEye9

Simon Says wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 14:29:
Beamer wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 14:19:
I'm not saying it looks great - I haven't played it, but to judge it based upon how it looks on underpowered hardware seems odd.

The way it looks is exactly the same as on RTX hardware. The same processing is done on both images, just using different slower hardware on Pascal, but the end result image quality is the same, just the perf differs. It's how this whole RTX on Pascal deal works, it's how it's been working from the very moment they unlocked it in the drivers. Didn't you know?

It may be a slideshow at 1080p with everything at max, but the image quality for each frame is allegedly the same as on a 2080ti.
Can you toss up a video on the youtubes.

15. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 14:50 Nullity

Simon Says wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 14:29:
Beamer wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 14:19:
I'm not saying it looks great - I haven't played it, but to judge it based upon how it looks on underpowered hardware seems odd.

The way it looks is exactly the same as on RTX hardware. The same processing is done on both images, just using different slower hardware on Pascal, but the end result image quality is the same, just the perf differs. It's how this whole RTX on Pascal deal works, it's how it's been working from the very moment they unlocked it in the drivers. Didn't you know?

It may be a slideshow at 1080p with everything at max, but the image quality for each frame is allegedly the same as on a 2080ti.
Well, based on your described experience, there's definitely some difference between what you're seeing and how it's *supposed* to look, and the lack of an actual RTX card seems to be the most logical explanation.

Have you watched any of the videos of it running on an actual RTX card? Because it doesn't exhibit anything like what you've described (example).

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo