5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Jun 8, 2019, 10:52
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 8, 2019, 10:52
Jun 8, 2019, 10:52

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2018/10/scammers-demand-gift-cards
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 8, 2019, 10:30
Rigs

Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 8, 2019, 10:30
Jun 8, 2019, 10:30
 Rigs

But first I need you to buy 8 $50 itunes gift cards and scratch them off and read the numbers to me and then we will get started the remove the damages

Ok, now I need to know. Can you redeem iTunes gift cards for cash or something? Why is that so popular with scammers?

=-Rigs-=
Dec 10th, '21 Mayfield EF4 tornado survivor
'Sorry, we thought you were dead.'
'I was. I'm better now.'

Jun 6, 2019, 22:03
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 6, 2019, 22:03
Jun 6, 2019, 22:03

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 21:37:
Oh good, let's make remote desktop access easier. I'm sure tech-scammer companies will Love love Love this. There is no more getting their victims to download and install TeamViewer first; just click a link and type in a code. Thanks Google.

HelpDesk: Hello, My name is Roger,
Microsoft told us that your system is a virus.
My Cisco Certified Microsoft Systems Engineer has informed me that we need to fix you computer immediately.

Unwitting 72yo: What? Virus? Is that why facebook is slow? Uh, I don't know..

HelpDesk: Sir, Yes, That is definitely why facebook is slow. Don't worry, I can prove to you that you have many virus issues including trojan rootkits which is very bad and are hurting and require urgent attention.

Unwitting 72yo: Well, I, Uh can't remember my passwords and my grandson normally fixes my computer but he lives out of state. He put Anti-virus updates just last year and said I was protected.

HelpDesk: Oh, yes, I see. Family it is good to have, they help you. I bet he is nice man. He would want me to fix you.
I need you to run a Windows 10 built-in test to check for infection errors, Microsoft told us that these infections are very bad and bypass the Anti-Virus you have and can result in loss of your Windows License.
Please Press Windows Key + S and enter reliability.
Select View reliability history from the menu

Unwitting 72yo: I did that and I see Red Circles with X's and Yellow ! Triangles.

HelpDesk:
DON'T TOUCH THOSE, THEY ARE THE VIRUS, IEEEE.
Oh My, I am standing beside with shame.
Please let me logon to your system and save your Windows License so you will be ok. But first I need you to buy 8 $50 itunes gift cards and scratch them off and read the numbers to me and then we will get started the remove the damages.
----------------------------------------

This has happened to several of my customers. Most just get their computer locked with syskey but some have actually bought the gift cards.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 6, 2019, 21:37
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 6, 2019, 21:37
Jun 6, 2019, 21:37

Oh good, let's make remote desktop access easier. I'm sure tech-scammer companies will Love love Love this. There is no more getting their victims to download and install TeamViewer first; just click a link and type in a code. Thanks Google.

Jun 6, 2019, 14:30
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 6, 2019, 14:30
Jun 6, 2019, 14:30

Nice one, Cal. Fuck those companies. That gig economy shit should have never been permitted to begin with.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older