Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com

GOG.com announces they are now offering the Hellfire expansion for the original Diablo. This is updated to work properly in higher resolutions on modern systems. This is offered as part of their Diablo offering, so it is available for free for those who've already purchased the DRM-free version of the classic action/RPG from them. For those who have not, it is currently on sale for 10% off during their Summer Sale Festival. Here's more on the add-on and its pedigree:

Originally developed by Synergistic Software and released in 1997, Hellfire was not an official Blizzard product and did not carry Blizzardís endorsement or label. Despite that, in response to Diablo players who have expressed a desire to experience the content, Blizzard has given the OK for it to be included as a free add-on with Diablo purchases on GOG.COM.

Hellfire offers a non-canonical single-player storyline where players must defeat a powerful demon named Na-Krul who is threatening Tristram. The expansion also adds a Monk class, new weapons and items, new missions, locations, dungeons, and enemies. Hellfire will be accessible while launching the original Diablo.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 6, 2019, 07:52 CJ_Parker

SunnyD wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 07:40:
Stay awhile.. and listen.

Nope. Not anymore. Fuck you and your repetitive non-stories uncle Deckard.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 6, 2019, 07:40 SunnyD

Stay awhile.. and listen.

~Finis~

12. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 6, 2019, 03:51 VaranDragon

jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2019, 21:43:
Reading this thread makes me want to listen to the Diablo soundtrack.

Some of the best music ever made for videogames.

11. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 5, 2019, 21:43 jdreyer

Reading this thread makes me want to listen to the Diablo soundtrack.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 5, 2019, 20:02 Verno

Slush54 wrote on Jun 5, 2019, 19:31:
Of course it hasn't aged well, mmo's and micro-transactions stopped the idea of boxed games. When world of warcraft hit in 2004 everyone and they got gamers to pay over and over again for the same game, they were going to push to undermine game ownership.

So Diablo didn't get a sequel until roughly 10 years later and the original team long gone. So diablo never got to be refined, sequelled to death and rebooted.

Err huh? I'm not sure what game ownership has to do with anything I was saying and Diablo 2 came out in like 2000 which is 4 years after Diablo, not 10 years later. It feels like you quoted my post but meant to respond to someone else? Boxed games were still very much a thing and WoW wasn't even in existence yet. Diablo absolutely did get refined eventually but that's not the point, I was just saying that Diablo 1 just isn't very fun unless you've been living in a time capsule for 18 years. Like the actual dungeon crawling is repetitive, the tech limitations really limited design which hurts the experience and whatnot. It's all understandable and I loved it when I was younger but unless you really have a nostalgia hankering its not worth going back to revisit IMO.

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

9. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 5, 2019, 19:31 Slush54

Verno wrote on Jun 5, 2019, 17:21:
It wasn't bad at the time but it certainly hasn't aged well. Far better ways to spend your time unless the nostalgia has grabbed you.

Of course it hasn't aged well, mmo's and micro-transactions stopped the idea of boxed games. When world of warcraft hit in 2004 everyone and they got gamers to pay over and over again for the same game, they were going to push to undermine game ownership.

So Diablo didn't get a sequel until roughly 10 years later and the original team long gone. So diablo never got to be refined, sequelled to death and rebooted.

8. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 5, 2019, 17:21 Verno

It wasn't bad at the time but it certainly hasn't aged well. Far better ways to spend your time unless the nostalgia has grabbed you.  

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

7. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 5, 2019, 17:08 CthulhuFan

MeanJim wrote on Jun 5, 2019, 16:06:

I had a friend that was super into Diablo when it came out. It's one of those games I never understood the hype around it.
No worries, everyone likes different stuff. For me it was awesome but, as with all games, you do you and I'll do me (to each their own).

6. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 5, 2019, 16:06 MeanJim

CthulhuFan wrote on Jun 5, 2019, 12:12:
Somehow I missed this back in the day. Was it any good? While Grim Dawn scratches my D2.5 itch, I may be tempted to pick this up and play it provided I can find my installation media for the base game.

I had a friend that was super into Diablo when it came out. It's one of those games I never understood the hype around it.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 5, 2019, 15:58 BurntSoul

There were many people looking for the Hellfire expansion immediately after Diablo was first sold on GOG, so there's a lot of nostalgia for it, apparently. Funny, I remember it having a lukewarm reception. I've never played it myself and now I have it, so that's a bonus: People that already purchased Diablo on GOG before Hellfire was integrated need not have to pay for the Hellfire expansion.

To be clear, you can run Diablo either by itself or with the expansion separately from the splash/startup screen. You are not required to play with the Hellfire expansion.

4. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 5, 2019, 13:48 MattyC

Somehow I missed this back in the day. Was it any good? While Grim Dawn scratches my D2.5 itch, I may be tempted to pick this up and play it provided I can find my installation media for the base game.

It wasnít bad, but it wasnít that that good either. Hellfire was unfinished (there are files for 2 or 3 other classes tucked away in there) and it lacked real online play. The fact that it wasnít really a Blizzard game probably didnít help itís popularity at the time either.

That said, if you never played it, there are a lot worse games you could spend your money on, so donít let any of that dissuade you. There is some fun to be had in Hellfire.

Note: if you own the original it plays fine on windows 10 you will probably get an installer error but fear not. It will have installed fine. This was accurate as of 7 or so months ago anyway...

3. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 5, 2019, 13:05 CJ_Parker

It was a pretty weak expansion. Just more of the same and no real special sauce on top.

Also, you don't need any installation media. You can't buy Hellfire standalone. You can only buy Diablo with Hellfire now automatically included.

2. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 5, 2019, 12:28 Jivaro

I seem to remember enjoying it. I mean, it gave us the monk class, it can't be all bad right?

1. Re: Diablo Hellfire on GOG.com Jun 5, 2019, 12:12 CthulhuFan

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo