Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week

Not content with their Wolfenstein: Youngblood RTX bundle, NVIDIA also announces that on June 6th they will release Quake II RTX as a free download. This brings the 20+ year-old shooter into the modern age with ray-tracing support. Word is: "Quake II RTX includes the first three single-player levels of the beloved PC gaming classic. Gamers that already own Quake II can experience the whole game in its entirety, including multiplayer deathmatch and cooperative multiplayer modes, all fully path traced." This trailer offers details on remastering the game, while the official announce trailer offers a look at all the new graphical effects in action. Here's more on what path tracing and Vulkan are adding to this rerelease:

The visually stunning new look of the classic game is achieved by a ray-tracing technique known as path tracing, which traces light rays (paths) through the scene in a way that unifies all lighting effects into a single ray-traced algorithm. This elegant form of rendering is used in computer graphics in films but has previously been too expensive for games.

The lighting effects in Quake II RTX are so advanced they require hardware support for ray tracing, such as the specialized RT Cores found in the Turing™ architecture and NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ GPUs, to run in real time. The minimum specification for running Quake II RTX in real time is a GeForce RTX 2060 GPU.

New levels of realism seen in Quake II RTX include real-time, high-dynamic range time of day lighting, with accurate sun light and indirect illumination. Physically based materials are rendered accurately. For example, water and glass refract light accurately, emissive surfaces get dramatic soft lighting effects, surfaces deliver accurate reflections and light sources illuminate surrounding objects. Weapon model details and textures have also been increased, and an improved denoiser has been added to increase image quality.

Quake II RTX uses NVIDIA VKRay™, an extension that allows any developer using the Vulkan API to add ray-traced effects to their games. Building on Q2VKPT, a version of the game created by Christoph Schied using the open-sourced Quake II game engine, Quake II RTX is a pure ray-traced game that runs on a Vulkan renderer with support for Linux.

“Quake II RTX demonstrates that the Vulkan API with real-time ray tracing can be used to create stunning gaming experiences using some of the most advanced rendering techniques available to game developers,” said Neil Trevett, president of the Khronos Group and vice president of developer ecosystems at NVIDIA. “And, having Quake II RTX available as a free download makes it accessible to both Windows and Linux gamers everywhere.”

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 28, 2019, 14:44 Beamer

The graphics of QII are ones I'll always be nostalgic over, largely because we'll never go back. I remember spending like 10 minutes just firing the starting blaster down a narrow, empty hall, watching the lighting. I remember always stopping to see the flies around the Strogg bodies, just grey circles buzzing around, but in a way sprites never did in 2D. Or the particles of the rail gun.

It always looked better to me than Q3, because it took more imagination to make it look good. The particles and lighting were much better and more lifelike in Q3, but that kind of made it less fun. It looked less like art. Q2 straddled an interesting place, and was the first (and maybe last) time I really paid huge attention to particles (my favorite part of playing with UE3 was always the particle engine, too, loved making effects.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 28, 2019, 14:16 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on May 28, 2019, 10:46:
RedEye9 wrote on May 28, 2019, 10:28:
VaranDragon wrote on May 28, 2019, 10:12:
Im not sure how this is supposed to work. I've got my Quake2 CD "somehwere" I think, but I don't have a CD/DVD player to install it again. This is just the first three levels then?
"Gamers that already own Quake II can experience the whole game in its entirety, including multiplayer deathmatch and cooperative multiplayer modes, all fully path traced."

And if you don't have Quake 2, or have a CD "somewhere" but no way to install it, it's currently $4.99 on Steam.

$5?! I'm not paying that much for something I already own, even if it would give me hours of pleasure!

* goes and buys $5 latte, drinks in 5 minutes *

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 28, 2019, 10:46 Beamer

RedEye9 wrote on May 28, 2019, 10:28:
Im not sure how this is supposed to work. I've got my Quake2 CD "somehwere" I think, but I don't have a CD/DVD player to install it again. This is just the first three levels then?
"Gamers that already own Quake II can experience the whole game in its entirety, including multiplayer deathmatch and cooperative multiplayer modes, all fully path traced."

And if you don't have Quake 2, or have a CD "somewhere" but no way to install it, it's currently $4.99 on Steam.

-------------

18. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 28, 2019, 10:32 The Pyro

Gloom

Gloom! Wasted so many hours on that. Skipped classes to make custom maps (mines-1 was my fault, sorry about that). Alas, I doubt Gloom would work with the ray-tracing stuff. I think Gloom eventually went to its own standalone client? Or maybe I'm getting it mixed up with Tremulous...

17. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 28, 2019, 10:28 RedEye9

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

16. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 28, 2019, 10:12 VaranDragon

15. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 28, 2019, 07:22 Beamer

Luke wrote on May 28, 2019, 06:14:
Razumen wrote on May 27, 2019, 20:13:
Xero wrote on May 27, 2019, 17:33:
lol, playing Quake 2 with RTX not enabled, you probably get 2000fps. Turn on RTX, it probably drops 50fps, lol.

Welcome to the wonderful and historic world of improving graphical effects. You must be new, please take a seat.

Well I see some think bad coding is the future , you better take a seat too

What's the bad coding here? Real time Ray tracing at 50fps sounds pretty damn impressive to me.

-------------

14. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 28, 2019, 06:14 Luke

Razumen wrote on May 27, 2019, 20:13:
lol, playing Quake 2 with RTX not enabled, you probably get 2000fps. Turn on RTX, it probably drops 50fps, lol.

Welcome to the wonderful and historic world of improving graphical effects. You must be new, please take a seat.

Well I see some think bad coding is the future , you better take a seat too

13. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 28, 2019, 05:43 KS

Quake II had no charm. If felt mushy compared to the original.  

12. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 28, 2019, 03:59 El Pit

Next: Half-Life 1, please? Pretty please? Wideeyed Woohoo Excited Drool2 Dance Worship  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

11. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 28, 2019, 01:30 jdreyer

pacbowl wrote on May 27, 2019, 22:01:
Hell yeah, hopefully Zoids, Expert or LMCTF will be compatible.

Given that RTX works with the existing architecture, you would think any custom or user-created levels would be compatible. I guess it depends on if the light sources are included in the original level data or not.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 27, 2019, 22:58 Scheherazade

pacbowl wrote on May 27, 2019, 22:01:

Man, I loved me some Loki's Minions.

That, and Gloom, were my favorites.

And AirQuake2... but then again I worked on it, so that would make me biased.

-scheherazade

9. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 27, 2019, 22:01 pacbowl

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/pacbowl

8. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 27, 2019, 20:14 Razumen

heroin wrote on May 27, 2019, 13:58:
It'd be awesome if we can get some CTF w/ grapple going.

Most likely we can, this is just a mod for the original game. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't compatible with old mods.

7. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 27, 2019, 20:13 Razumen

6. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 27, 2019, 17:33 Xero

Primarily playing ATM: CS Go, DUSK, Ion Maiden, FarCry New Dawn, 20XX

5. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 27, 2019, 15:45 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2019, 15:11:
Pretty sweet effects. Makes things a little too bright though. Hopefully it can be dialed back in settings.
Nope, the minimum setting is 120% and it only goes up from there.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

4. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 27, 2019, 15:11 jdreyer

Pretty sweet effects. Makes things a little too bright though. Hopefully it can be dialed back in settings.  

3. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 27, 2019, 13:58 heroin

It'd be awesome if we can get some CTF w/ grapple going.  

2. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 27, 2019, 13:31 MDB

Ah, the grapple hook. (... In an SP level???) That stupid thing helped me flunk out of college.

Did they remodel the BFG? I remember it looking more like a box with an open end.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo