Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

WHO Recognizes "Gaming Disorder"

Bloomberg reports that beginning in 2022 the World Health Organization will officially recognize "gaming disorder" as a, well, gaming disorder. This is the listing describes this as involving "impaired control over gaming," "increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities," and "continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences." Unsurprisingly, the Entertainment Software Association has issued a statement refuting this finding. This is from the introduction: "The WHO is an esteemed organization and its guidance needs to be based on regular, inclusive, and transparent reviews backed by independent experts. ‘Gaming disorder’ is not based on sufficiently robust evidence to justify inclusion in one of the WHO’s most important norm-setting tools." Here is the statement that follows:

“The global video game industry—including representatives from across Europe, the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, South Africa, and Brazil—today called on World Health Organization (WHO) Member States to re-examine at an early date its decision to include “Gaming Disorder” in the 11th edition of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11).

“The WHO is an esteemed organization and its guidance needs to be based on regular, inclusive, and transparent reviews backed by independent experts. ‘Gaming disorder’ is not based on sufficiently robust evidence to justify its inclusion in one of the WHO’s most important norm-setting tools.”

The interactive entertainment industry plays a leading role in the development of emerging technologies, including virtual reality, augmented reality, artificial intelligence and big data analysis. It is significant in advancing in research science across many fields ranging from mental health, dementia, cancer, and pioneer advances in accessibility. At the same time, the industry developed world-class consumer protection tools including parental controls and responsible game-education initiatives to ensure the players are able to engage in the safest environments.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: WHO Recognizes Jun 4, 2019, 20:14 RedEye9

https://quillette.com/2019/05/31/how-limbic-capitalism-preys-on-our-addicted-brains/

The nature of addiction has implications—more precisely, temptations—for businesses that sell habituating products. One is to encourage early and frequent consumption. Treat the lads, the saloonkeepers used to say, and you’ll have their money in the till when they’re adults.

I propose that the main source of the problem has been what I call limbic capitalism. This refers to a technologically advanced but socially regressive business system in which global industries, often with the help of complicit governments and criminal organizations, encourage excessive consumption and addiction. They do so by targeting the limbic system, the part of the brain responsible for feeling and for quick reaction, as distinct from dispassionate thinking.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 23:11 Quinn

Eirikrautha wrote on May 27, 2019, 21:42:
RedEye9 wrote on May 27, 2019, 10:57:
Armchair quarterbacks lawyers doctors accountants nutritionists addictionologists.

An "expert" is someone who has managed to monetize their ignorance.

What? I always thought an "expert" had at least something to do with knowledge, not ignorance.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

29. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 21:49 RedEye9

Eirikrautha wrote on May 27, 2019, 21:42:
Armchair quarterbacks lawyers doctors accountants nutritionists addictionologists.

Bet it makes you jealous. You've been sharing your ignorance here on Blues for free...
Sorry to trigger you sweety.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

28. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 21:42 Eirikrautha

Bet it makes you jealous. You've been sharing your ignorance here on Blues for free...

27. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 13:10 theglaze

I think adding a label does make a difference, from publicity, encouraging discussions like this, and giving acknowledgement to what professionals on the front lines are seeing with those affected by such disorders.  

26. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 11:36 4D-Boxing

At work and admit to not having read anything but the headline. Anayways, it's nota new anything it's basically addiction and sokeone recognizing the obvious meaning people can get addictied to varity of things including gaming.

Love how we humans are so good at identifying the problem, but not so much at fixing especially if there is money to be made. We punt the problem to the next whatever/whoomever.

Anyways, I'll go back to my pizza, burger, steak, anything tasty addiction. My blood is only 15% butter so I may be good for another 10 years. (the worst part, i look like some healthy jogger dude cause of my crazy metabolism)

25. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 11:35 HorrorScope

Primalchrome wrote on May 27, 2019, 11:25:
I'm not sure why some brilliant academic hasn't simply listed "Addiction" and left it as that. With the target behavior being "something the afflicted person derives pleasure or escape from to such a degree that it has a significant negative impact on their life as a whole." It's not gaming or television or drugs or sex.....it's just addiction with a wide spectrum of flavors. (each of which is distinctly different)

Probably for some official bureaucratic need, but agreed it could just be more universal and fit most things generally then.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2019, 22:39.

24. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 11:34 HorrorScope

It's obviously been a disorder. Anything that can absorb you to the point you don't function normally is addiction and there are levels like any other addiction. Gaming we know can eat hours up by the 100's and I'm sure some of us feel a little guilty inside from time to time, even if not at disorder levels. But it isn't hard to imagine at all people being in this state with games, any games. And yes Fox News can be an addiction/disorder, it doesn't take WHO to make it real, just to make it official. Pretty much anything can be addictive if one takes it to an unhealthy level, I'm not scared or ashamed one of my hobbies can be like that for some.  

23. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 11:25 Primalchrome

I'm not sure why some brilliant academic hasn't simply listed "Addiction" and left it as that. With the target behavior being "something the afflicted person derives pleasure or escape from to such a degree that it has a significant negative impact on their life as a whole." It's not gaming or television or drugs or sex.....it's just addiction with a wide spectrum of flavors. (each of which is distinctly different)  

22. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 11:16 Quinn

In case of psychology, which is a far cry from a hard science still, us lifetime gamers are in a pretty solid position to discuss about (game) addiction.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

21. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 10:57 RedEye9

20. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 10:38 Cutter

GinRummy wrote on May 27, 2019, 10:17:
I didn't know Pete Townsend or Roger Daltrey even owned consoles.

No, but they know when it's a put on.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

19. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 10:17 GinRummy

I didn't know Pete Townsend or Roger Daltrey even owned consoles.  

18. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 06:03 Muscular Beaver

Quinn wrote on May 27, 2019, 05:47:
Muscular Beaver wrote on May 27, 2019, 05:25:
Some people bite their nails, others smoke, others drink, others read books until dawn, others play games until they literally die, others do drugs, others hide in their rooms, others buy 1200 cats, others adopt 15 kids, others do 300 "beauty" surgeries a year, others buy anything and everything, others gamble, others kill themselves in extreme sports, others cut themselves, etc, etc, etc.

Its basically just different interests in coping with shit in their lives.

Basically exactly what I was going to say. There's a difference between a tick like biting your nails or using drugs though. The first is an expression of stress you're often unaware of while the other is a willfull escape from reality. I think that's the crux of it all: whatever habit you have to cope with shit in your life, to escape, can become an addiction.

The guy who only uses drugs to amplify the fun he has during a music festival we don't consider an addict. The guy who uses the same drugs daily while sitting alone on his couch, probably is.
The person who starts up his console to play Sing Star with their friends probably isn't an addict. The person who neglects his daily duties or goes home early to play games, probably is.

It is really that simple, I think.
I think its the same. Some people just can cope with it better and thus "only" bite their nails. Ive seen some real bad cases of that too, basically bloody fingers every day.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

17. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 05:47 Quinn

Muscular Beaver wrote on May 27, 2019, 05:25:
Some people bite their nails, others smoke, others drink, others read books until dawn, others play games until they literally die, others do drugs, others hide in their rooms, others buy 1200 cats, others adopt 15 kids, others do 300 "beauty" surgeries a year, others buy anything and everything, others gamble, others kill themselves in extreme sports, others cut themselves, etc, etc, etc.

Basically exactly what I was going to say. There's a difference between a tick like biting your nails or using drugs though. The first is an expression of stress you're often unaware of while the other is a willfull escape from reality. I think that's the crux of it all: whatever habit you have to cope with shit in your life, to escape, can become an addiction.

The guy who only uses drugs to amplify the fun he has during a music festival we don't consider an addict. The guy who uses the same drugs daily while sitting alone on his couch, probably is.
The person who starts up his console to play Sing Star with their friends probably isn't an addict. The person who neglects his daily duties or goes home early to play games, probably is.

It is really that simple, I think.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

16. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 05:25 Muscular Beaver

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

15. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 27, 2019, 01:37 JTW

They'd meet a lot less controversy if they'd just lump these things into a single disorder with multiple veneers. Something like 'skinner box disorder', or 'operant conditioning disorder.' So many things can create an artificial reward loop that pumps chemicals into your brain that actually can be addictive that it doesn't make sense to define them one by one. The physiological addiction behind them all is the same.  

14. Re: WHO Recognizes May 27, 2019, 01:26 Hoop

Muscular Beaver May 26, 2019, 14:38"12928
But thats autism...

Yeah I'm aware.. only he's somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.
He's spoiled is what he is & letting him have his own way to withdraw to play games all the time will not help him.

Um .. Behind you...

13. Re: WHO Recognizes May 26, 2019, 23:17 [VG]Reagle

Is this all the government with 22 trillion in debt has to worry about? WTF  

DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

12. Re: WHO Recognizes May 26, 2019, 21:19 jacobvandy

clint wrote on May 26, 2019, 20:46:
MyRealName wrote on May 26, 2019, 20:24:
Nope. Only if they similarly recognize "Television Disorder", "Gardening Disorder", "Forum Participant Disorder", "News Follower Disorder", "Music Lover Disorder", "Netflix Disorder", "Beer Disorder" (well, maybe not that one), "Lego Disorder", "Socializing with Friendly People Disorder", "Daily Routine Disorder", "Hobby Disorder", "Doin' Lots of Shit You Like Because Life is Short Disorder", and so on.

True, however a good side effect of this might be to combat the preying of publishers/developers with loot crates, games with thousands of dollars of dlc's, or gems etc. That is something I could get behind. Recognize responsibility towards your customers, same as alcohol, gambling etc, but not ban them. Putting loot crates in a game could be seen as the same as taking a 8 year old to the track and giving them a beer while they put bets on.

Bingo, and exactly why the ESA aka major publisher lobby is coming out against it.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo