So, things that appear to be on my horizon:
1. The Ryzen 9 3900X means I can finally dump Xeons from my workstations. Drilling down, it looks like the chiplet design does side-look by default. This is something that Intel has been locking behind the Xeon name and the price tag to match. Downside is the 105W of TDP versus current 80W of TDP.
Need to see if ASRock brings out a Taichi Ultimate board based on the X570 chipset that supports ECC memory. Likewise, need to see if they introduce a desktop board that supports more than 32GB of memory. Not holding my breath, may be stuck with 32GB.
ASRock does have an X570 Taichi board. Check it out here.
Sweet merciful Yeebux, 64GB of ECC memory support! I may have jizzed in my pants.
3. Wait until mid-July to see how the Navi 5700 does in a toe to tie comparison with my current GTX 1660Ti in terms of performance, power, and thermals. If it beats it, Mrs. Burrito will be getting the Nvidia card when I upgrade. However, given that AMD GPUs tend to run hotter and thirstier than their Nvidia counterparts, this may not matter at all. It will also need to be able to drive four 144Hz 24" panels at 1080p without turning my system in to a the house's primary heating unit.
4. Not worried about people screeching about "teh gaymmmzzzuh!" 20% of my system's workload is gaming. The other 80% is largely containers and VMs. Ray tracing is utterly pointless at this time given how few titles actually support it. Three years down the road it might matter, it might not. Consoles may push this sooner than later but I'll need to see how fast this trickles down.
5. Linux support. Granted, we've been seeing AMD sneakily seeding hardware pointers and drivers in to the 5.X kernel series for a couple of months now. Maybe 5.3 will have full support.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.
If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl