Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Sunday Tech Bits

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 27, 2019, 15:00 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on May 27, 2019, 14:17:
... and Gigabyte has a fucking $600 board!

Bah. Cheap Gigabyte garbage is disgusting. MSI X570 Godlike will be ~$800 . Now that's a more appropriate price for a quality board!

BTW, the Godlike has been quoted with a Euro price of 777. They are marketing the shit out of 7nm with 7/7 availability and a 777 board price.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 27, 2019, 14:17 Verno

Uh wow, those partner board prices sure are a thing. The only decent board under $200 is the Gaming X and Gigabyte has a fucking $600 board! Way more expensive than X470 and X370. Also interesting to see dedicated chipset fans making a return, can't say I'm thrilled with the prospect of that. I assume this is for extreme workloads only.

GloFo is making the mobo chips so I assume AMD did the reference design themselves this time.

Playing: Subnautica, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Spider-Man
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Peep Show

17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 27, 2019, 14:07 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on May 27, 2019, 13:37:
Burrito of Peace wrote on May 27, 2019, 13:03:

ASRock does have an X570 Taichi board. Check it out here. Sweet merciful Yeebux, 64GB of ECC memory support! I may have jizzed in my pants.

That's gonna sell for at least $75 or $30 dollars.

My jizz isn't that valuable.

16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 27, 2019, 13:37 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 27, 2019, 13:03:

ASRock does have an X570 Taichi board. Check it out here. Sweet merciful Yeebux, 64GB of ECC memory support! I may have jizzed in my pants.

That's gonna sell for at least $75 or $30 dollars.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 27, 2019, 13:03 Burrito of Peace

So, things that appear to be on my horizon:

1. The Ryzen 9 3900X means I can finally dump Xeons from my workstations. Drilling down, it looks like the chiplet design does side-look by default. This is something that Intel has been locking behind the Xeon name and the price tag to match. Downside is the 105W of TDP versus current 80W of TDP.

2. <EDIT> Need to see if ASRock brings out a Taichi Ultimate board based on the X570 chipset that supports ECC memory. Likewise, need to see if they introduce a desktop board that supports more than 32GB of memory. Not holding my breath, may be stuck with 32GB.

3. Wait until mid-July to see how the Navi 5700 does in a toe to tie comparison with my current GTX 1660Ti in terms of performance, power, and thermals. If it beats it, Mrs. Burrito will be getting the Nvidia card when I upgrade. However, given that AMD GPUs tend to run hotter and thirstier than their Nvidia counterparts, this may not matter at all. It will also need to be able to drive four 144Hz 24" panels at 1080p without turning my system in to a the house's primary heating unit.

4. Not worried about people screeching about "teh gaymmmzzzuh!" 20% of my system's workload is gaming. The other 80% is largely containers and VMs. Ray tracing is utterly pointless at this time given how few titles actually support it. Three years down the road it might matter, it might not. Consoles may push this sooner than later but I'll need to see how fast this trickles down.

5. Linux support. Granted, we've been seeing AMD sneakily seeding hardware pointers and drivers in to the 5.X kernel series for a couple of months now. Maybe 5.3 will have full support.

14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 27, 2019, 12:37 RedEye9

all the bang for the buck, but 80% less time
AMD Keynote at Computex 2019 in 9 minutes

Linus Tech Tips is gargling AMD and fondling its balls.

13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 27, 2019, 12:07 Verno

Prices are a quite a bit higher than I thought for Zen 2 as well. I think the 3800X is a value trap, 3900X or 3700X are the ways to go.

I think the eventual 16c/32t proc is totally unnecessary for gaming. Interesting to see that Threadripper is still coming according to Su as well.

12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 27, 2019, 11:25 RedEye9

iNtel's response
A high-end highly binned unknown TDP and unknown price and unknown availability processor.
Cheesy

So much innovation and excitment that you have been able to buy the chip for months from https://siliconlottery.com/

Neither a tic nor tac but more like a thonk.

11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 27, 2019, 07:13 Verno

Yeah the leaks were complete bullshit. Their flagship is a 4.6ghz 12c/24t with a 105W TDP, not that TDP is even accurate anymore. I am more excited that the low to mid range is getting good performance finally. At the high end its kinda...meh. 4.6ghz, maybe 5ghz dual core boost if you're lucky with OC. Meanwhile Intel is binning 5.0ghz all-core on 14nm and finally has sorted its shit out on 10nm. 4.6ghz with a 15% IPC boost (in cinebench lol) might bring them close to parity finally, though I'm still doubtful until we see real world benches.

As usual the hype exceeded the actual product but it's still good. Also nice to see Intel finally getting some competition.

The Radeon 5700 was fucking LOL bad though, no defending that turd.

10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 27, 2019, 00:09 RedEye9

Ryzen 9 3900X - 12C/24T, 105W TDP, 3.8 GHz Base, 4.6 GHz Boost - 6 MB L2 + 64MB L3

Sold!

Poor poor iNtel

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 26, 2019, 23:42 CJ_Parker

Just watched the AMD Computex livestream. OK. We don't even have to worry about a 16 core CPU since the biggest one will be a Ryzen 9 3900 12 core. The leaks were all wrong. The 12 core is the highest core count and it "only" clocks in at 4.6GHz boost, a far cry from the rumored 5.xGHz that some sites were mentioning. All in all kinda meh to be honest...  

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 26, 2019, 20:02 CJ_Parker

Ozmodan wrote on May 26, 2019, 17:50:
Too little too late, for that price you can get one of the 16/32 AMD chips coming out and a lot less heat.

If you'd push AMD's 16 core CPU to 5GHz all core, all the time then it'll melt the case.

The 16 core is a crappy gaming CPU anyway. First, you don't need the amount of cores for gaming. And secondly 16 cores vs. dual channel RAM interface is gonna end up in a bottleneck.

Ryzen CPUs are known to be pretty memory reliant so if you want to get the max out of that sweet 3200MHz CL14 DDR4-RAM for gaming then all you really need and want is six to eight fast cores.

The 16 core Matisse part will surely be a great/awesome CPU for certain multithreaded applications and workloads (especially ones that don't rely much on a fast memory interface) but it will most likely be a rather shitty gaming CPU... unless AMD has implemented a "gaming mode" switch again so that eight cores get disabled when gaming but then why buy 16 cores in the first place?

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 26, 2019, 18:19 RaZ0r!

I have an i5-9600k at 4.9 on all 6 cores all the time without flawed HT to disable for probably more than half the price. Anyone who overclocks knows having all the cores synced all the time at good speeds is nothing new.

I suppose this chip could appeal to the folks that don't want to learn how to overclock. Especially since I'm pretty sure there is not going to be much room for a good overclock on that chip, but I could be wrong about that.

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 26, 2019, 17:50 Ozmodan

Too little too late, for that price you can get one of the 16/32 AMD chips coming out and a lot less heat.

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 26, 2019, 17:42 jdreyer

Intel Announces 8 Core i9-9900KS- Every Core at 5.0 GHz, All The Time.

Yes, but will it hyperthread?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 26, 2019, 16:50 RedEye9

The S stands for suckers.

The S stands for stupid.

I'll be here all week, try the fish w/brown butter.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 26, 2019, 16:15 Creston

Your entire village will never fear winter again with the Corei9-9900KS! Guaranteed warmth for everything in a 30 mile radius!

2. Re: Intel Announces 8 Core i9-9900KS- Every Core at 5.0 GHz, All The Time.* May 26, 2019, 15:37 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 26, 2019, 13:59:
*Except when it doesn't.
But they announced it.
Here is my next announcement.

Max TDP 35 watts.
17/34 Cores at 8 Ghz base clock with a Boost clock of 18 Ghz on all cores simultaneously and it overclocks like a dream on air.
75 percent increase in ipc over any other processor and it crushes every benchmark and real world scenario you through at it.
all for only $43 dollars
I'd buy just the announcement. Rolleyes

PS It also runs crysis

1. Intel Announces 8 Core i9-9900KS- Every Core at 5.0 GHz, All The Time.* May 26, 2019, 13:59 Burrito of Peace

*Except when it doesn't.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo