Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

As I previously mentioned, this weekend will open Manstovia for the season, though this sovereign grilling nation will be moving shortly. It will be at least a double-header, as we're having guests tomorrow, but I think I'm also going to cook up some chicken breasts tonight. Looks like the weather is cooperating today, and I hope it's as nice by you. The forecast for tomorrow wasn't looking so great for our plans, but it seems to be moving in the right direction, so it's looking like we may not get the rain that was previously anticipated.

Opening Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Novartis' gene therapy Zolgensma will cost $2.1 million. Thanks LinkedIn.
Blue-collar worker becomes instant multimillionaire after DNA test. Thanks Max.
Science: An Asteroid with Its Own Moon Will Zip Past Earth Tonight.
The ‘superblack’ patches on these spiders make their other colors glow. Thanks Max.
A Solution for Loneliness: Get out and volunteer, research suggests. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: Star Wars SC 3, 5, 16, 29, 38 Reimagined. Darth Explainer.
League of Legends: All About That Ace. NSFW.
Krakatau Inside. East of Java.
Follow-up: Everest claims three more victims after deadly week.
The Funnies: xkcd: Motivation.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Novartis' gene therapy Zolgensma will cost $2.1 million May 26, 2019, 09:44 KS

Simon Says wrote on May 25, 2019, 19:58:
And we'll discover the real cost of this treatment is really what? 1 thousandth that amount? Probably even less...

Even accounting for R&D, this is totally ludicrous and outrageous.

Probably, although drugs for rare conditions cost as much to develop as those for common ones, but have far fewer buyers to amortize that cost over.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2019, 06:53 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 25, 2019, 20:58:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 25, 2019, 20:27:
While $2.1m sounds insane, it is a cure and "... the one-time treatment costs 50% less than the 10-year cost of current chronic management of the disease." So, while I can't bring myself to call it justified, I'm also not willing to totally condemn the pricing...

$2.1 million scalping of families with sick children. Of course, the insurance(assuming they have it) will pay the lion's share, but that cost gets passed on to ALL of that insurance company's customers.

I keep wondering what level of extortion these companies will bring before people start murdering CEOs in the streets; apparently we just aren't there yet. Surely we're getting close though?

I'd like to see some data on the success rate of this treatment as well, there's no way it's 100% . Wtf happens if a nurse/doctor drops the vial? The whole situation is insane.

Even if insurance pays 90%, who can afford what's left? I suppose you'd hit your annual max out of pocket in one go.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Out of the Blue - Everest May 26, 2019, 06:35 Jonjonz

Look no further than current Everest 'more money than brains' fest for proof the 1% are destroying mother earth while they struggle to get their money's worth from what they have stolen from the rest of us.  

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 21:46 RedEye9

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 25, 2019, 21:00:
RedEye9 wrote on May 25, 2019, 20:54:
An Asteroid with Its Own Moon Will Zip Past Earth Tonight
Or maybe it just two rocks on the same trajectory.

Overall trajectory in relation to the Earth, very similar. To each other, one seems to be clearly orbiting the larger one. Interesting though.
We're in good hands because the Planetary Defense Coordination Office will continue to monitor them. Confused

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 25, 2019, 20:58:

Wtf happens if a nurse/doctor drops the vial? The whole situation is insane.

Well duh, the three fiddy it cost to make it comes out of her paycheck.

On day my boss gave me a pack of three fine probes for the capacitance voltage metrology tool our department was responsible for maintaining. Now these probe wires were the thickness of a strand of hair and he cautioned me to be very careful because we would not get another shipment for a week.
I put the first one in and promptly slammed it down into the hotplate ruining it. I'd never damaged one before nor since.
shit happens.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 21:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

RedEye9 wrote on May 25, 2019, 20:54:

Overall trajectory in relation to the Earth, very similar. To each other, one seems to be clearly orbiting the larger one. Interesting though.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 20:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

While $2.1m sounds insane, it is a cure and "... the one-time treatment costs 50% less than the 10-year cost of current chronic management of the disease." So, while I can't bring myself to call it justified, I'm also not willing to totally condemn the pricing...

$2.1 million scalping of families with sick children. Of course, the insurance(assuming they have it) will pay the lion's share, but that cost gets passed on to ALL of that insurance company's customers.

I keep wondering what level of extortion these companies will bring before people start murdering CEOs in the streets; apparently we just aren't there yet. Surely we're getting close though?

I'd like to see some data on the success rate of this treatment as well, there's no way it's 100% . Wtf happens if a nurse/doctor drops the vial? The whole situation is insane.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 20:54 RedEye9

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 20:52 Simon Says

Sounds reasonable until you notice that the chronic management is also woefully overpriced Shkreli style.

RedEye9 wrote on May 25, 2019, 20:20:
A customer of mine gets a $10k infusion every month for arthritis. Luckily medicare/caid/insurance pay for it.

See above^^

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 20:27 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Novartis' gene therapy Zolgensma will cost $2.1 million May 25, 2019, 20:20 RedEye9

Simon Says wrote on May 25, 2019, 19:58:
And we'll discover the real cost of this treatment is really what? 1 thousandth that amount? Probably even less...

A customer of mine gets a $10k infusion every month for arthritis. Luckily medicare/caid/insurance pay for it.

10. Novartis' gene therapy Zolgensma will cost $2.1 million May 25, 2019, 19:58 Simon Says

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 19:32 Cutter

1badmf wrote on May 25, 2019, 16:18:
Cutter wrote on May 25, 2019, 14:35:
So I guess a good solution for loneliness isn't listening to So Lonely by The Police, or watching Lone Wolf McQuade movies?

Chicken eh? I'm doing side ribs tonight with a lovely hickory sauce. Do people prefer side or back ribs? I'm deffo a side rib guy.

not (sadly) a rib expert. what's the difference?

From the good people at Napoleon Grills....

There are two main types of pork ribs that you can purchase. Spareribs and Back Ribs. They come from two different places on the pig.
Spareribs:

Meatier than the Back Rib, Spareribs – also known as side ribs - are thick, juicy, and come from the belly section of the pig (where bacon comes from). They usually come with the sternum, costal cartilage and flap still attached. From the Sparerib you can get St. Louis style or Louisiana style ribs. These are more like what you see at restaurants and in competitions. The breastbone and cartilage have been trimmed from the top of the ribs, the flap has been removed from the back, and the meat has been trimmed up so that the ribs have a uniform rectangular shape.
Back Ribs:

These can sometimes be called Loin Ribs, or Baby Back Ribs. Back Ribs come from the back of the pig, along the spine, close to the area where pork chops come from. They’re not as meaty or fatty as Spare Ribs, however, what they lack in fat and meat, Back Ribs more than make up for it with tenderness and better marketing. These are a high demand cut, which drives up the price. The biggest benefit to buying Back Ribs is that they cook faster than Spareribs so you can get to your bone pickin’ and finger-lickin' faster.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 16:53 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on May 25, 2019, 14:02:
Spiders, now with extra VantaBlack
Thanks for the nightmare fuel.

Coming soon to dreams near you. Vantablack scorpions, door to door salesmen and unlimited robocalls.

I dunno, I saw worse nightmare fuel at the bottom of the page in the form of this article:

"Bonobo ‘helicopter’ moms stand guard while their sons mate"

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 16:50 jdreyer

Star Wars SC 3, 5, 16, 29, 38 Reimagined.

Best comment on YouTube: "Henceforth, you shall be known as 'Darth Exposition'."

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 16:40 jdreyer

A Solution for Loneliness: Get out and volunteer, research suggests.

Not a very well researched article. "Hanging out on Blues News" wasn't even mentioned!

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 16:18 1badmf

Cutter wrote on May 25, 2019, 14:35:
So I guess a good solution for loneliness isn't listening to So Lonely by The Police, or watching Lone Wolf McQuade movies?

Chicken eh? I'm doing side ribs tonight with a lovely hickory sauce. Do people prefer side or back ribs? I'm deffo a side rib guy.

not (sadly) a rib expert. what's the difference?

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 14:35 Cutter

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 14:02 RedEye9

Spiders, now with extra VantaBlack
Thanks for the nightmare fuel.

Coming soon to dreams near you. Vantablack scorpions, door to door salesmen and unlimited robocalls.

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 13:58 RedEye9

robdot wrote on May 25, 2019, 13:42:
Everest has now simply become a monument to the limitless depths of human stupidity.
And -400,000 points for a destination weddings. {extra credit for catching The Good Place reference}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Towelie approves
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blue, make sure to poke those chicken breasts multiple times during prep and cooking. DCFTW dry chicken for the win! Pokestick

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 13:42 robdot

Everest has now simply become a monument to the limitless depths of human stupidity.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo