Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Well, we're on the cusp of the Memorial Day weekend here in the U.S., a solemn occasion which is also considered the unofficial start of summer. That's fitting in these parts, where the weather has been particularly warm the past few days. This kicks off the grilling season, and we will indeed be opening Mastovia. As I've previously mentioned, this will mark the end of an era, as our imminent move will require switching from a charcoal grill to propane. Luckily, there's a WIRED article to make me feel better about this called Grilling Over Gas Is Objectively, Scientifically Better Than Grilling Over Charcoal. That made me feel better for about two seconds before I saw the companion piece Grilling Over Charcoal Is Objectively, Scientifically Better Than Grilling Over Gas, so it turns out they are just messing with me.

Cooked-up Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Home intruder steals nothing, cleans home instead, homeowner says.
High-Tech Sleeping Pods Among New Ideas Being Tested At Airport Innovation Lab.
Everest traffic jam creates lethal conditions for climbers.
Science: NASA officially orders its first segment of a lunar space station. Space 1999 here we come.
Stronger than aluminum, a heavily altered wood cools passively.
Media: The Matrix low budget version. Awesome.
Finding the ship lost for more than 300 years. Thanks RedEye9.
Game of Thrones Season 8 Pitch Meeting.
Follow-up: Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air travel ban.
The Funnies: Brevity. You know nothing, Jon Merlot.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2019, 14:54 RedEye9

The other Pitch Meeting youtubes are pretty good.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: 7 Games Free During Steam Spring Cleaning Event May 25, 2019, 05:37 Kxmode

Words uttered by a master thespian.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 20:01 Kxmode

All the notable extinct GOT houses:

- Targaryen
- Blackfyre
- Tyrell
- Bolton
- Mormont
- Karstark
- Clegane
- Umber
- Baratheon (of King's Landing)
- Baratheon (of Dragonstone)
- Baelish

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

16. Re: Charcoal vs gas May 24, 2019, 19:24 RedEye9

Scottish Martial Arts wrote:
Question for gas grillers: why not just use the broiler in your oven?

1. It stinks up the house.
2. It makes a mess inside the house.
3. It does not taste the same ie there is none of that lava rock to catch the drippings and sizzle back smokey goodness imparting flavor to your choice of grillens.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

15. Re: Charcoal vs gas May 24, 2019, 18:04 Scottish Martial Arts

Question for gas grillers: why not just use the broiler in your oven?  

14. Re: Charcoal vs gas May 24, 2019, 17:50 Cutter

BicycleRepairMan wrote on May 24, 2019, 16:06:
I think charcoals biggest advantage is the smell, not of the meat, but the fire. Open fire and smoke probably increases the risk of cancer and damages your lungs , but we apes like the smell anyway. And smell adds flavour , if you don't believe me , hold your nose , take a chunk of pineapple , chew for a bit, then release your fingers from your nose , the result is unbelievable. Try it.

I agree it tastes better but it's a much bigger PITA to use. Get it going, let it get to cooking temp, then cleaning it out after. Gas? Fire it on. Cook. Done.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 17:42 Kxmode

Shock wrote on May 24, 2019, 17:02:
Charcoal is much better for taste but propane is more convenient, until you have to refill the can.

Seems to me if someone managed to merge the two they would be crazy rich.

Can the taste of charcoal be emulated by manipulating the propane gas or blending it with other less dangerous gasses (e.g. "flavor" gases)?

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 17:02 Shock

Charcoal is much better for taste but propane is more convenient, until you have to refill the can.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 16:47 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on May 24, 2019, 16:15:
jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2019, 14:13:
Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air travel ban.

Put all the anti vaxxers on the Do Not Fly list. Sweet!

First Valid Use of the No Fly List since it's inception.

Even better, DO FLY them on a cargo plane for an island somewhere (not currently inhabited), and let them be anti-vaccine all day long.

Edit: I forgot how to spell plane.

This comment was edited on May 24, 2019, 17:41.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 16:15 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2019, 14:13:

First Valid Use of the No Fly List since it's inception.

Normally it's used against those that don't agree w/our terroristic policies.
Examples include; singer/songwriter Cat Stevens, Sen. Ted Kennedy, Rep. John Lewis, CNN's Drew Griffin, Stephen Hayes of the Weekly Standard, innocent children, Daniel Brown USMC, comedienne Kathy Griffin and thousands of others

9. Charcoal vs gas May 24, 2019, 16:06 BicycleRepairMan

I think charcoals biggest advantage is the smell, not of the meat, but the fire. Open fire and smoke probably increases the risk of cancer and damages your lungs , but we apes like the smell anyway. And smell adds flavour , if you don't believe me , hold your nose , take a chunk of pineapple , chew for a bit, then release your fingers from your nose , the result is unbelievable. Try it.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 14:13 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 13:39 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on May 24, 2019, 11:31:
Wasn't Space 1999 about a lunar base, not a space station?

Yes it was. It was the entire moon that got shot out of orbit by a 'nukular' explosion. The stories weren't great but I love that show. Specifically the retro-futurism designs. If I had the money I'd have a home built like that.

6. Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Pitch Meeting. May 24, 2019, 13:18 Pigeon

Yep, seems about right to me.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 11:49 Caslon

Onward and upwards..."Because it's there"

I know. We already went there. NASA replies..."Mt. Everest."

I know already.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 11:31 Mr. Tact

Wasn't Space 1999 about a lunar base, not a space station?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 11:16 Cutter

The home invader made all of the beds, stacked his son's stuffed animals, and left an origami rose on the toilet paper.

Lol!

Jesus people, there's no shortage of mountains to climb on this rock. Spread out.

Lol @ Brevity.

2. Game of Thrones Season 8 Pitch Meeting May 24, 2019, 10:19 Simon Says

Priceless xD

Video about a really good alternate S8 that would've been miles better

1. Re: Space 1999 May 24, 2019, 10:15 Bill Borre

We're hundreds of years away from Moonbase Alpha. The lunar space station will be in orbit. Sigh.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo