Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Here's a new Terminator: Dark Fate Teaser Trailer. This capturing my interest makes me feel guilty, as I recognize this is part of the problem with geeky fandom. Sci-fi fans like myself are too willing to stick with endless attempts at sequels to properties after one or two good movies. The Predator, Aliens, Star Wars, Robocop... the list goes on. There have already been three disappointing Terminator sequels after two great movies, so if this one turns out to be good, the series will at least be 50/50. But this probably just confirms that not every good movie needs to become a franchise. At least from a story standpoint. I understand that corporations have to corporate. I don't really have a solution to offer though, as the heart wants what the heart wants. As I write about this, I have to admit to myself that I'll probably go to the theater to see Star Wars episode IX, knowing in advance there's an incredible chance I'll find it disappointing. I feel so used.

Used Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Station Master.
Stories: ‘Chernobyl’ Launch Is Third Best Ever For Sky Atlantic Original Drama. Thanks Reddit.
'Violent tornado' delivers direct hit to Missouri, killing 3 overnight.
Science: Billion-year-old fossils may be early fungus.
Poor diet tied to 5% of all cancer cases, study says.
China emits illegal greenhouse gas that destroys ozone layer.
Media: Flame of Darkness - Epic NPC Man (simple puzzles & riddles).
B-2 Spirit Bomber Drops Massive Ordnance Penetrator Bomb. Scary.
Follow-up: Measles outbreak spreads to Maine, cases now in half the country.
Craig Undergoes Surgery For Bond Set Injury.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 12:33 Redwood

I thought I was out on the Terminator movies, but I may go see this one with that director, and James Cameron/the actors involved. I never even bothered with the last one. I am emotionally obligated to go to all Star Wars movies though.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 12:32 Red886

what is this, Terminator is about superheroes fighting each other now?

and man, is the CGI bad

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 11:15 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I'll withhold my judgment for now, but I do think ignoring the third, fourth and fifth films is a good start. Although personally, I thought the third film really wasn't THAT bad.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 11:13 Cutter

That looks like shit. They need to terminate this franchise already. The problem is when the marketers get involved and say 'How can we merchandise the fuck out of these properties?' And so the films just become over the top stupid and geared toward selling stuff instead of just making a good, simple movie.

"Well, what do you believe in, Wade? I'm guessing shotguns and big titties." - Max

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 11:11 RedEye9

corporations have to corporate
That right there is the root of all that is wrong with todays world Holly Wood

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2019, 10:58 Beamer

Creston wrote on May 23, 2019, 10:53:
Talutha wrote on May 23, 2019, 10:43:
Not sure if hes ignoring all the other movies and just continuing from the second or not.

I think that was the idea, yeah. He's essentially continuing on from 2, and ignoring Terminator 3 (which was... okay) and those two piles of dogshit garbage that came after that.

I still have my doubts about how involved Cameron is, given that he's been knee-deep in Avatar. Also have my doubts about how much I trust Cameron, anyway. Lots of these great scifi directors just lost it as they get older (see: Ridley Scott.)

But at least this one has a director that knows how to make a good action film. T3 had the director of U-571, who went on to do basically nothing else, T4 had McG (enough said), and T5 had a guy that did the worst Marvel movie, Sex and the City episodes, and some non-action Game of Thrones episodes.

Tim Miller has only done Deadpool, but I'd put him above all the previous non-Camerons on that alone.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2019, 10:53 Creston

Talutha wrote on May 23, 2019, 10:43:
Not sure if hes ignoring all the other movies and just continuing from the second or not.

I think that was the idea, yeah. He's essentially continuing on from 2, and ignoring Terminator 3 (which was... okay) and those two piles of dogshit garbage that came after that.

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 10:52 Creston

Yeah that's a good trailer, not gonna lie.

It's always tough to think "Man, I keep rewarding them for making these shitty movies", but on the flipside, if nobody does, then they'd never make them, and you also never have a chance at ever getting another great terminator movie.

My one big beef with this series is that the terminator is always holding back when it has a chance to kill its target. They always come up with some utterly contrived reason for why it doesn't kill its target in any given situation.

Seeing how powerful this new version of the T1000 is, there's no reason for it to not just annihilate these people in three seconds flat and be done with it.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2019, 10:43 Talutha

Not saying the new Terminator will be any good or not but I think it has hope. James Cameron sold off the rights to Terminator after the second one so anything that came after was not related to him at all. He regained those rights this year I believe so this will be the first Terminator since the second to be under his control. Haven't followed the movie very closely though. Not sure if hes ignoring all the other movies and just continuing from the second or not.  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo