Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Here's a new Terminator: Dark Fate Teaser Trailer. This capturing my interest makes me feel guilty, as I recognize this is part of the problem with geeky fandom. Sci-fi fans like myself are too willing to stick with endless attempts at sequels to properties after one or two good movies. The Predator, Aliens, Star Wars, Robocop... the list goes on. There have already been three disappointing Terminator sequels after two great movies, so if this one turns out to be good, the series will at least be 50/50. But this probably just confirms that not every good movie needs to become a franchise. At least from a story standpoint. I understand that corporations have to corporate. I don't really have a solution to offer though, as the heart wants what the heart wants. As I write about this, I have to admit to myself that I'll probably go to the theater to see Star Wars episode IX, knowing in advance there's an incredible chance I'll find it disappointing. I feel so used.

Used Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Station Master.
Stories: ‘Chernobyl’ Launch Is Third Best Ever For Sky Atlantic Original Drama. Thanks Reddit.
'Violent tornado' delivers direct hit to Missouri, killing 3 overnight.
Science: Billion-year-old fossils may be early fungus.
Poor diet tied to 5% of all cancer cases, study says.
China emits illegal greenhouse gas that destroys ozone layer.
Media: Flame of Darkness - Epic NPC Man (simple puzzles & riddles).
B-2 Spirit Bomber Drops Massive Ordnance Penetrator Bomb. Scary.
Follow-up: Measles outbreak spreads to Maine, cases now in half the country.
Craig Undergoes Surgery For Bond Set Injury.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.
View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 21:25 Retired

jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2019, 14:00:
Retired wrote on May 24, 2019, 00:48:
I was happy to see my thread 200,000 was a success. Sorry didnt get the email until today. Was in spam folder.
It took a long time for that seed to sprout!

125% worth it!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 14:00 jdreyer

Retired wrote on May 24, 2019, 00:48:
I was happy to see my thread 200,000 was a success. Sorry didnt get the email until today. Was in spam folder.
It took a long time for that seed to sprout!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 07:54 Pr()ZaC

Yeah.
CGI is questionable.

But... I'm out of the loop.
Explain me why the T-800 has aged.

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2019, 00:48 Retired

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 20:01 jdreyer

whitelined wrote on May 23, 2019, 16:22:
It looks too slick. Not sure how to explain that, but terminator 2 felt like it had weight, grime, dirt and dust to it. It was such a good film, it's going to be hard to reboot from that.

Heh, after T1, I thought T2 was too slick.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 19:39 bigspender

Red886 wrote on May 23, 2019, 12:32:
what is this, Terminator is about superheroes fighting each other now?

and man, is the CGI bad

You beat me to it. I was going to say it looks like a super hero movie with a Terminator theme.... How about you know, making grounded in reality like the first one....

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 18:05 Acleacius

Love the trailer, no guilt here! Lighter

I actually liked Genesis, not saying it was great but good enough. Think it would have done much better had the major movie plot twist not been exposed in the first trailer. Dumbass PR lackeys.

This comment was edited on May 23, 2019, 18:16.

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 17:11 Leper

whitelined wrote on May 23, 2019, 16:22:
It looks too slick. Not sure how to explain that, but terminator 2 felt like it had weight, grime, dirt and dust to it. It was such a good film, it's going to be hard to reboot from that.

Probably something to do with T2 having almost all practical stunts, with the only CGI being used for the character who was supposed to look fake.

This one looks like it could be decent (the director isn't a hack like McG), but obviously don't expect it to be as good as 1 or 2.

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 16:22 whitelined

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 16:18 jdreyer

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 23, 2019, 15:17:
I think this Terminator will probably disappoint, but seeing Linda Hamilton rock the Badass Sarah Connor one more time will be fun.

They look old, but fit. I would say this has potential, but I'll wait for reviews.

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 16:11 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2019, 13:27:
I looked at the reddit thread, expecting to see people crapping on the CGI, but instead found it was posted by Arnie himself, and man, he just seems like a genuinely great guy, Keanu-style.

But yes, the CGI looks bad. I watched a few videos over the weekend positing why CGI has gotten worse. In large part, they feel it's due to deadlines being a fraction the time they used to be, while the amount of scenes (or seconds) being much larger. Even though the tech has come a long way, there's less time for the artistry to take hold. As a result, the lighting is almost always broken. And, back in the day, it was all done in real places, with real standins being replaced, making lighting easier (first, it's real, second, you can base it off what happens to the stand-in, and third, a good director would be very deliberate in how he'd light his 2 or 4 CGI scenes.)

The other thing to consider is that early trailer CG is usually not final render.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 16:06 jdreyer

Redwood wrote on May 23, 2019, 12:33:
I thought I was out on the Terminator movies, but I may go see this one with that director, and James Cameron/the actors involved. I never even bothered with the last one. I am emotionally obligated to go to all Star Wars movies though.

So, "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in?"

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 15:17 UttiniDaKilrJawa

I think this Terminator will probably disappoint, but seeing Linda Hamilton rock the Badass Sarah Connor one more time will be fun.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 14:19 Angrius Maximis

Terminator trailer is absolute garbage  

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 13:27 Beamer

I looked at the reddit thread, expecting to see people crapping on the CGI, but instead found it was posted by Arnie himself, and man, he just seems like a genuinely great guy, Keanu-style.

But yes, the CGI looks bad. I watched a few videos over the weekend positing why CGI has gotten worse. In large part, they feel it's due to deadlines being a fraction the time they used to be, while the amount of scenes (or seconds) being much larger. Even though the tech has come a long way, there's less time for the artistry to take hold. As a result, the lighting is almost always broken. And, back in the day, it was all done in real places, with real standins being replaced, making lighting easier (first, it's real, second, you can base it off what happens to the stand-in, and third, a good director would be very deliberate in how he'd light his 2 or 4 CGI scenes.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 13:20 RedEye9

Star Trek Picard Teaser

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 12:55 Darks

That is some awesome pin point deadly accuracy there on those 30.000 lbs Penatrators hitting that orange cone.

The B2's are Pretty awesome!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 12:54 Bodolza

There's not enough in the trailer for me to form much of an opinion. It looks like Sarah Conner Chronicles: The Movie, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. And, yeah, the CGI is distractingly bad. I expect more from the person who basically invented it.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 12:50 RedEye9

Chernobyl showed the hospital scenes just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water. Luckily for me I was prepped for it because I'd just watched Rush and was well versed in burns and lung vacuuming.
The show deserves every gram of praise it receives. (both Rush and Chern)

-------------------------------------------------

Terminator movies have been relegated to streaming only.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 12:36 Mr. Tact

Redwood wrote on May 23, 2019, 12:33:
I thought I was out on the Terminator movies, but I may go see this one with that director, and James Cameron/the actors involved. I never even bothered with the last one. I am emotionally obligated to go to all Star Wars movies though.
I didn't see the 4th or 5th Terminator films in the theater, but I did see them. I still haven't see SW E8, I'll probably force (no pun intended) myself when it makes it to the movie channels.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >