Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta

GOG.com announces plans for version 2.0 of GOG Galaxy, the optional client for their DRM-free game store. Of course, there are a lot of these clients vying for a spot on your hard drive, but this seeks to be the one client to rule them all. Word is: "With GOG GALAXY 2.0 we’re going further, offering all gamers an app that will combine all their games and gaming buddies, from PC and console platforms, in one place." If this is something that hold interest for you, head over to the GOG GALAXY Website and sign up for the beta for the chance to check it out prior to release. Here are more details:

There are two things that matter to all of us gamers: the games we play and the friends we play them with. But as more titles come with dedicated launchers and clients, our games and gaming buddies become scattered in between them. With GOG GALAXY 2.0, you’ll be able to combine multiple libraries into one and connect with your friends across all gaming platforms!

“As gamers, we need to juggle between multiple clients to access our games and see what our friends are playing,” says Piotr Karwowski, Managing Director at GOG. “We believe gamers deserve a better experience, and this became the driving force to redefine GOG GALAXY client,” Karwowski adds. “GOG GALAXY 2.0 is designed for all gamers and extends well beyond existing GOG.COM users, into both PC and console platforms.”

Once you connect GOG GALAXY 2.0 with other platforms, it will import all your games into one library. You will see your friends activities and online status across connected platforms. And it’s designed to protect your privacy – your data belongs to you and will never be shared with third parties. We see it as an all-in-one solution for the present-day gamer.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 24, 2019, 01:38 Sepharo

Primalchrome wrote on May 23, 2019, 17:30:
ldonyo wrote on May 23, 2019, 13:05:
Someone missed their yoga class this morning...
He's just trolling. Anyone who had read the article or has dealt with any of the other client tie-ins knows you have to go through a linking process.

And because the controversy regarding EGS reading Steam files was that they didn't ask originally. Nobody has a problem with an opt-in detection or an account linking system.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 23, 2019, 17:30 Primalchrome

He's just trolling. Anyone who had read the article or has dealt with any of the other client tie-ins knows you have to go through a linking process.

13. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 23, 2019, 13:10 RedEye9

CJ_Parker wrote on May 23, 2019, 09:16:
They can't tell me that this consolidation shit is possible without a major level of "spying". They will at least have to access the same unprotected files in the Steam directory that people were so enraged about when EGS (after asking for consent) accessed them for friends list imports.

In this case it will be super OK for people, of course, because CD Projekt are the good guys. Just like no one has a problem to grant them access to their Steam profiles via GOG Connect.

Sure, if you take them at their word, CD Projekt might not sell any user data to share it with 3rd parties but with this kind of unified client they are definitely mining data big time for their own market research purposes.

I won't be touching that shit with a ten foot pole. Fuck all that spyware garbage from Windows 10 to Steam to GOG 2.0. Fuck it all...
What you talkin about Willis.
That's CJ being rather restrained. I thought he'd just come from a Transcendental Mediation week-long retreat and smoked some primo kind bud.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

12. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 23, 2019, 13:05 ldonyo

CJ_Parker wrote on May 23, 2019, 09:16:
They can't tell me that this consolidation shit is possible without a major level of "spying". They will at least have to access the same unprotected files in the Steam directory that people were so enraged about when EGS (after asking for consent) accessed them for friends list imports.

In this case it will be super OK for people, of course, because CD Projekt are the good guys. Just like no one has a problem to grant them access to their Steam profiles via GOG Connect.

Sure, if you take them at their word, CD Projekt might not sell any user data to share it with 3rd parties but with this kind of unified client they are definitely mining data big time for their own market research purposes.

I won't be touching that shit with a ten foot pole. Fuck all that spyware garbage from Windows 10 to Steam to GOG 2.0. Fuck it all...

11. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 23, 2019, 09:22 Verno

Talisorn wrote on May 22, 2019, 21:15:
I'm waiting for the hate train to start rolling. Anything that poses a threat to the "Most Holy of Holies, Steam" must be crushed by the Valve Crusaders.

You really don't know this forum that well then, Steam hate is still a thing here. There are still people upset about Steam DRM even.

The one client solution sounds great but rarely works well and good luck keeping that maintained against a growing number of publisher clients.

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

10. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 23, 2019, 09:16 CJ_Parker

9. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 23, 2019, 07:12 Sepharo

RedEye9 wrote on May 22, 2019, 21:47:
skin color omitted because it's obvious

wtf?

8. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode May 23, 2019, 04:43 Kajetan

JSP wrote on May 23, 2019, 03:51:
Who asked for this? That's right, no one.
No one asked for your opinion, but there it is.

7. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 23, 2019, 03:51 JSP

Who asked for this? That's right, no one.  

6. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 23, 2019, 02:55 NKD

Sounds pretty solid.  

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

5. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 22, 2019, 23:54 Primalchrome

The Achievements/Time Played is another interesting bit that they're adding in just for consolidation of stats if you're into that sort of thing.

I think Discord has pretty much cornered the current market on friend's list and 'what are they playing', though. Not sure if GoG has enough reach to unseat them there.

4. removed May 22, 2019, 21:47 RedEye9

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 23, 2019, 07:16.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

3. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 22, 2019, 21:24 Kxmode

Talisorn wrote on May 22, 2019, 21:15:
I'm waiting for the hate train to start rolling. Anything that poses a threat to the "Most Holy of Holies, Steam" must be crushed by the Valve Crusaders.

you're clueless.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

2. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 22, 2019, 21:15 Talisorn

1. Re: GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 Beta May 22, 2019, 20:56 Bill Borre

I prefer the way Steam displays game info. The info is there in GOG but not as direct so I hope they will imitate that. When I click my library in GOG all I see is the game's title, 'new', 'installed' or 'completed'. I don't like drilling down each individual title for info like hours played when Steam displays that in the library prominently.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo