Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Today is National Solitaire Day of all things, celebrating the classic card game where there's no one to accuse you of cheating. We may think of Civilization as the original one-more-turn strategy game, but an article on Business Insider celebrates the occasion by asking experts why Solitaire is "so addictive." Enjoy. By the way, you should put that black six on the red seven.

Solitary Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: Aykroyd Pens A "Ghostbusters" 60s Prequel.
Gwendoline Christie correctly predicted who would end up on the Iron Throne 2 whole years ago.
New Coke To Return For "Stranger Things" S3.
Stories: Washington is 1st state to allow composting of human bodies. Thanks Slashdot.
Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ Debuts at Cannes. Thanks David.
Science: Scientists Have Created a Sound So Loud It Can Vaporize Water on Contact. Thanks Kxmode.
“Quacks” blamed for HIV outbreak that infected hundreds of kids.
Surprise! When Los Angeles cleaned up its air, childhood asthma cases dropped.
Media: Toy Story 4 - Official Trailer 2.
Danny Macaskill: Danny Daycare.
FlightLapse - MilkyWay.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 03:19 bigspender

1badmf wrote on May 22, 2019, 21:46:
RedEye9 wrote on May 22, 2019, 10:11:

You're only important while you are in the womb.

tRump’s EPA Kills Funding for Children’s Environmental Health Program

tRump Orders EPA to Relax Smog Rules for States and Companies

EPA Science Said tRump’s Coal Rule Would Kill 1,400. So the EPA Ditched Science.

EPA seeks to relax rules on methane emissions, admits harmful health impacts "The EPA is acknowledging that rolling back these pollution protections will have an impact on our children's health," said Matthew Gravatt of the Sierra Club.

EPA seeks new truck pollution rules; says air won't suffer

tRump EPA Says Mercury Limits On Coal Plants Too Costly, Not 'Necessary'

yeah these "pro-life" fucks are always happy to kill anyone that offends their christian sensibilities. muslims? DIAF. death penalty? everyday and twice on sundays. sanctity of life my ass - just more poorly disguised attempts to bash us over the head with the christian theocracy.

There' idiots like Elliot Hulse, leading a movement who say that women shouldn't vote etc It's like a bunch of people watched Handmaidens Tale and decided it was a good idea.....

Dark times ahead for the US.

Personally I'm a fan of late term abortion, so that we can legal abort people who are religious fanatics.

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 21:50 RedEye9

1badmf wrote on May 22, 2019, 21:46:
EPA seeks to relax rules on methane emissions, admits harmful health impacts "The EPA is acknowledging that rolling back these pollution protections will have an impact on our children's health," said Matthew Gravatt of the Sierra Club.
yeah these "pro-life" fucks are always happy to kill anyone that offends their christian sensibilities. muslims? DIAF. death penalty? everyday and twice on sundays. sanctity of life my ass - just more poorly disguised attempts to bash us over the head with the christian theocracy.
Google Jim Carrey's latest painting, it's hilarious. Hint: Alabama Governor as keywords Wink

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 21:46 1badmf

EPA Science Said tRump’s Coal Rule Would Kill 1,400. So the EPA Ditched Science.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 21:27 Kxmode

bigspender wrote on May 22, 2019, 20:41:
Scientists Have Created a Sound So Loud It Can Vaporize Water on Contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U86aorxbBRY

My name is a killing word - Paul Atreides

bigspender, do we have sharksign?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 20:41 bigspender

Scientists Have Created a Sound So Loud It Can Vaporize Water on Contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U86aorxbBRY

My name is a killing word - Paul Atreides

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 17:47 Kxmode

Tim Harford: How Can Chaos Lead To Creative Breakthroughs?

Psychologist Daniel Oppenheimer a few years ago, teamed up with high school teachers. He asked them to reformat the handouts that they were giving to some of their classes. Some were formatted in something straightforward, such as Helvetica or Times New Roman. However, half these classes got handouts formatted in something intense, like Haettenschweiler, or something with a zesty bounce, like Comic Sans Italicized.

Now, these are hideous fonts, and they're difficult fonts to read. But at the end of the semester, students were given exams. The students asked to read the more difficult fonts had done better in their exams in a variety of subjects. The reason is the problematic fonts forced them to slow them down, forcing them to work a bit harder, and as a result, they learned more.

These disruptions help us solve problems, and in turn, help us become more creative.

----

So true. How many times have you encountered problems or obstacles that led to creative results?

I end the comment with this from Tim:

There's a beautiful example from London that could not be more every day, where, a few years ago, the London Underground suffered a partial shutdown because there was a strike because of a labor dispute. The shutdown lasted two days. For those two days, everybody who was used to commuting around London probably had to find a different way to get to work.

So three economists got hold of the dataset and looked at what people had done, and they found that a vast number of people commuted to work the same way every day. During the strike, they adapted. They found a different way, and a substantial minority of them never went back. So they realized - because of a 48-hour shutdown, they had been doing it wrong their entire lives. It was only when the disruption comes in and says - no, you can't do it your usual way; you have to find a new way - tens of thousands of people went, wow, actually, the new way's better. How many things do we do in our lives - not these soaring feats of creativity, just everyday situations - how many things do we do that, if we were forced to do it differently, we would never go back?

This comment was edited on May 22, 2019, 17:58.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

6. Re: Washington is 1st state to allow composting of human bodies May 22, 2019, 12:44 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on May 22, 2019, 10:58:
I like the idea. It will be interesting to see what reaction, if any, there is in the general public. If it becomes an option where I live while I am still around I will definitely consider putting it in my will as my preferred method of "disposal"...

I always understood the problem with meat-eating compost is that has a lot of harmful bacteria which is why we only use vegetable compost or shite from herbivores. That aside it seems a little creepy to me. Don't know that I'd want to eat food from something grown in someone's remains. Soylent green is people! I'm still down for cremation as the best thing. Burial at sea maybe? Let the sea critters eat you and fertilize reefs perhaps? I wonder if that would work.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

5. Re: Washington is 1st state to allow composting of human bodies May 22, 2019, 10:58 Mr. Tact

I like the idea. It will be interesting to see what reaction, if any, there is in the general public. If it becomes an option where I live while I am still around I will definitely consider putting it in my will as my preferred method of "disposal"...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

4. Re: composting May 22, 2019, 10:37 Bill Borre

Amazing it took so long for that option to become available. It just shows how off the radar industries like the funeral business can wield disproportionate power over America's laws.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 10:11 RedEye9

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 09:57 MacLeod

Ackroyd's prequel idea sounds absolutely terrible. They would have to retcon the entire setup of the first movie... that was their origin story. The library ghost was their first time seeing one.

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 09:56 RedEye9

November 1984 Coca-Cola announced it planned to stop using sugar and less than a year later we had New Coke which passed away on July 10, 2002.(it was said that no one attended the funeral)
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coca-cola-taste-test_n_1324282

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo