Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation

A blog post by George R.R. Martin reflects on Sunday's conclusion of the Game of Thrones television series. He discusses the ending of the show and what he's doing with all his free time, which thankfully includes continuing to work on the A Song of Ice and Fire series (along with producing no fewer than eight television series and development of feature films). He also drops an itsty-bitsy tidbit about video game work, saying: "I’ve consulted on a video game out of Japan." This jibes with a recent report that Martin was working with FromSoftware on an RPG project. This remains unconfirmed, but a post on Gematsu (thanks GameSpot) cites a "person familiar with ongoings at From Software" saying this is the game to which Martin is referring, a project they've been asked to refer to by its initials, G.R. Adding to the speculation, WCCFTECH has details from a post on 4Chan saying this title is to be Great Rune, a "true successor to the Dark Souls game," which will feature a Norse Mythology theme. If the rumors are correct, we'll learn more about this at E3. In the meantime, here's more of what Gematsu hears from their source:

A person familiar with ongoings at From Software has told Gematsu that the project—said to be known internally as “GR” (Gematsu has been asked to only share the acronym) and in development for the past three years—is an open-world title (with horse riding) and collaboration between Hidetaka Miyazaki and George R.R. Martin published by Bandai Namco, which will be officially announced at Microsoft’s E3 2019 press conference.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 22, 2019, 11:25 Flatline

Primalchrome wrote on May 22, 2019, 00:02:
Flatline wrote on May 21, 2019, 19:48:
...Jordan was getting sick and also realized that he spent a thousand pages going over the same week of time from the last 100 pages of Winter's Heart from all the other different points of view. At least, that's what it felt like. And I think that's when he was like "crap, I have to get this out".
Jordan needed one thing : a draconian editor. Not an editor that happened to also be his wife pandering to his petulance. When his success took off, he became horrifically self indulgent and the 'writing by the pound' meme was born.

Steven Erikson has proven that epic fantasy can have massive numbers of plotlines resolved in engaging and creative ways. His character list for one main plotline is akin to Jordan or Martin's entire series.

The funny thing is that I think in the long term Wheel of Time has improved among it's fans. Hang out in the subreddit for WOT and you'll get some griping about the slog, but it's *way* more forgiving than it was back when it released. I would guess that's because we waited years for book 8, which was okay if not derivative, book 9 was boring until the last 100 pages, and then book 10 was every B and C level plot line reliving the last 100 pages of book 9. I forgot how long that took, but I remember New Spring dropped somewhere in there too. I think it was around 5 years or so. And so the shortcomings of the slog are a lot more painful back then than they are now, where you know there is an end in sight and not a multi-year wait for the books to dribble out.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic for the Amazon show. I hope they do well by it. It'll get compared a lot, and probably negatively, with Game of Thrones, but I've done about 2/3 of a WoT re-read, and with some editing to trim down and eliminate storylines that aren't necessary, I think it'll appeal to an audience. I find the ending of WoT to be much more satisfying than what the GoT show pushed out (Not an excellent ending, but a satisfying ending).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 22, 2019, 01:42 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2019, 13:04:
It's the ultimate "subversion" of the fantasy genre- the story just stops mid-story.
LOL. Laugh2
Actually I suspect moreso at this point that Martin has either lost interest or pulled a Robert Jordan and wrote himself into a corner, and getting from where he's at to where he eventually wants to be is proving too much for him.
Either that, or he can't tear himself away from Civ for long enough.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 22, 2019, 01:40 jdreyer

Timmeh wrote on May 21, 2019, 11:54:
Ozmodan wrote on May 21, 2019, 11:34:
Funny, as an author I find his books lacking. There are much better fantasy writers out there that write far more interesting books!

Yep.. like Stephen R. Donaldson.

Whos books have never been turned into anything yet are the most awesomest stories out there.

Although I loved it back in the day, I haven't read Donaldson in 35 years. When I've tried to go back to read stuff from my youth (looking at you Greg Bear) I've found it lacking. How does it hold up?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 22, 2019, 00:02 Primalchrome

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2019, 19:48:
...Jordan was getting sick and also realized that he spent a thousand pages going over the same week of time from the last 100 pages of Winter's Heart from all the other different points of view. At least, that's what it felt like. And I think that's when he was like "crap, I have to get this out".
Jordan needed one thing : a draconian editor. Not an editor that happened to also be his wife pandering to his petulance. When his success took off, he became horrifically self indulgent and the 'writing by the pound' meme was born.

Steven Erikson has proven that epic fantasy can have massive numbers of plotlines resolved in engaging and creative ways. His character list for one main plotline is akin to Jordan or Martin's entire series.

16. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 19:48 Flatline

Timmeh wrote on May 21, 2019, 19:09:
GinRummy wrote on May 21, 2019, 17:57:
Actually I suspect moreso at this point that Martin has either lost interest or pulled a Robert Jordan and wrote himself into a corner, and getting from where he's at to where he eventually wants to be is proving too much for him.
He needs to die and have his series finished by Brandon Sanderson, like Jordan did. Would probably boost his career immensely, although he'd miss out on the benefits.

Off topic.. but how did Jordan write himself into a corner?

Basically by end of Crossroads of Twilight there's seriously like 9 major plotlines and probably about double or triple the minor plotlines. And remember, Jordan had sworn that Wheel of Time was going to be 12 books, and it didn't matter if A Memory Of Light was 5000 pages long and required bookbinders to invent a new hardcover for it.

Jordan started writing backwards too, with New Spring and a few other things, which is what Martin is doing. That's a bad sign.

Anyway, Knife of Dreams came around had Jordan was getting sick and also realized that he spent a thousand pages going over the same week of time from the last 100 pages of Winter's Heart from all the other different points of view. At least, that's what it felt like. And I think that's when he was like "crap, I have to get this out". The pacing of Knife of Dreams was completely unlike the few books. It kept up what felt like a climax pace for the entire book (well, after Crossroads of Twilight, any plot development would feel fast). Major named B-list characters get killed off in the *prologue*. A lot of plotlines ended up getting resolved quickly or just abandoned. By the time Sanderson took over, more plotlines would get changed or abandoned, and he expanded A Memory of Light into 3 more books.

It's similar with Martin. There's too many plotlines that need addressing. At this point, for Martin to keep going the way he's going, he's looking at probably like 5-6000 pages of material, and he's admitted that he doesn't plot, he lets characters grow and proceed organically and kind of surprise him. Up to this point that's worked very very well for him, but the problem is, he has an ending in mind and probably worse yet how long he wants to take to get there. And the more organic his characters are, the less likely they'll actually end up *where* he wants them to, god forbid *when* he wants them to. He's going to need to start pushing them a little and constraining them within plotting to move them to the proper endgame positions, and the writing will suffer. Either that or he just keeps the story going until he can organically get to where he wants to go and that could take another dozen books and 120 years.

15. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 19:09 Timmeh

GinRummy wrote on May 21, 2019, 17:57:
He needs to die and have his series finished by Brandon Sanderson, like Jordan did. Would probably boost his career immensely, although he'd miss out on the benefits.

Off topic.. but how did Jordan write himself into a corner?

14. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 17:57 GinRummy

13. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 16:48 Flatline

Cutter wrote on May 21, 2019, 16:19:
Personally I think they should be bringing more of Roger Zelazny's stuff to the big and small screens. A good Amber series produced by HBO would be pretty effin' sweet. Lord of Light, Damnation Alley - yes I've seen the JMV version, and the Azzie trilogy, would all be awesome.

yaaaaaaaas I'd love to see more Zelazny. As a general audience we're pretty mature when it comes to complex storylines and ideas- it's been what, 20 years since The Sopranos started and we've had a couple decades of dense storytelling.

Plus, I figure for the next hundred years or so Iran will freak the f*ck out every time we try to shoot a version of Lord of Light due to it's involvement in the Canadian Caper.

12. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 16:28 Kxmode

How many showrunners is Martin going to kill?  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

11. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 16:19 Cutter

saluk wrote on May 21, 2019, 14:45:
He should have just kept it going without worrying about a series' end. Like his Wild Cards series. New books and stories in westeros, forever - or as long as people keep buying them.

Yeah but, A) He's an editor of the WC series, not a writer. B) It's an entirely different ballgame. I love the Wild Cards on the whole but it can be hit and miss too.

Personally I think they should be bringing more of Roger Zelazny's stuff to the big and small screens. A good Amber series produced by HBO would be pretty effin' sweet. Lord of Light, Damnation Alley - yes I've seen the JMV version, and the Azzie trilogy, would all be awesome.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

10. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 14:57 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on May 21, 2019, 13:59:
Rilcon wrote on May 21, 2019, 13:46:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 21, 2019, 11:21:
Oh god dammit. Stop getting distracted and FINISH THE NOVELS.
Apparently the remaining novels are already finished, but he's under some "timed exclusivity" deal with HBO to not publish them yet.

If you believe conspiracy theories from an actor that had about 100 lines total in the show, and hasn't been on for a few seasons, then yes, this is true.

If you don't like conspiracy theories, this makes no sense at all, as Martin has shown sluggishness to finish novels before, with wide gaps already happening, and being able to tie-in a novel with a new season would have been beneficial to everyone.

So yeah, this is a really dumb rumor.
COME ON BEAMER.
It's a well known fact that HBO demanded the books be completed before they even started filming the first season and that they can't be released until the full 8 season dvd box set goes on sale for $350 in 2021. The manuscripts are safely stored next to the holy grail inside that big "Raiders of the Lost Ark" government warehouse.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

9. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 14:45 saluk

My take on game of thrones - the attempt to finish them and the desire for fans for a conclusion, and the rush to a conclusion on hbo are misplaced, if understandable. GRRM wrote the books by planting seeds. Those seeds grow into plants and spread more seeds. Trying to cultivate the wilds and turn them into a satisfying ending is a fools errand that has resulted in longer delays between each books as GRRM tries to solve an unsolvable puzzle.

He should have just kept it going without worrying about a series' end. Like his Wild Cards series. New books and stories in westeros, forever - or as long as people keep buying them.

Who wouldn't want that?

What long form series has ever had a truly satisfying conclusion anyway? I personally can't think of any, but if they exist they are quite rare.

8. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 13:59 Beamer

Rilcon wrote on May 21, 2019, 13:46:
Apparently the remaining novels are already finished, but he's under some "timed exclusivity" deal with HBO to not publish them yet.

If you believe conspiracy theories from an actor that had about 100 lines total in the show, and hasn't been on for a few seasons, then yes, this is true.

If you don't like conspiracy theories, this makes no sense at all, as Martin has shown sluggishness to finish novels before, with wide gaps already happening, and being able to tie-in a novel with a new season would have been beneficial to everyone.

So yeah, this is a really dumb rumor.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 13:46 Rilcon

6. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 13:04 Flatline

That said, I'm sure his 'consulting' consisted of a phone call or two and getting paid a gigantic check, but still.

It's the ultimate "subversion" of the fantasy genre- the story just stops mid-story.

5. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 12:08 Primalchrome

Martin has been putting out some good stuff for decades...his Wild Cards universe was excellent at capturing shades of gray. That said, I wish he had a bit better hold on his muse. Hopefully the next From title will be a more true DS-style game rather than a rock/paper/scissors like Sekiro.  

4. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 11:54 Timmeh

Ozmodan wrote on May 21, 2019, 11:34:
Funny, as an author I find his books lacking. There are much better fantasy writers out there that write far more interesting books!

Yep.. like Stephen R. Donaldson.

Whos books have never been turned into anything yet are the most awesomest stories out there.

3. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 11:34 Ozmodan

2. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 11:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

That said, I'm sure his 'consulting' consisted of a phone call or two and getting paid a gigantic check, but still.

1. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 11:14 El Pit

I like the idea of him consulting the game. Season 8 would have been so bad without him consulting the writers of the tv series, so we're in for a treat catastrophe of epic proportions.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo