Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

The DOWNTON ABBEY Official Trailer is online. I dunno. MrsBlue and I enjoyed the series, but in contrast to the upcoming Deadwood movie, it didn't suffer from lack of closure. The trailer celebrates all the returning characters, but it just seems like another episode of the show. We'll still watch it, but I don't know that we'll rush to the theater to do so. Waiting for it to show up on a streaming service should suffice.

R.I.P.: Formula One Titan Niki Lauda Dead at 70. Thanks JDreyer. If you haven't seen it, Rush is an excellent 2013 movie about his rivalry with James Hunt in the 1970s.

Mannerly Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: 'Game of Thrones' Series Finale Sets All-Time HBO Ratings Record.
A great white shark is tracked in Long Island Sound for first time. "You're going to need a bigger boat!"
For the fifth year in a row, a named storm has formed early in the Atlantic.
Science: Billion-Dollar Gamble: How A 'Singular Hero' Helped Start A New Field In Physics. Thanks RedEye9.
Why Does The Brain Connect Pain With Emotions?
The Man Who Is Aging Too Fast.
Media: What Happens When You Fire An Armor-Piercing 20mm Round At Three 2.5-Inch Aluminum Plates. Horrible audio.
Keep The Elder Alive Challenge - APEX LEGENDS (React- Gaming).
Grad attempts a backflip during graduation ceremony, and it doesn't go well.
Follow-up: Boeing admits 737 Max sims didn't accurately reproduce what flying without MCAS was like.
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 16:20 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on May 22, 2019, 21:36:
jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2019, 21:07:
The sunrise Ray tracing on the mesa looks cool. However, the purple illumination of the weapon looks overdone. Maybe that's how Avalanche coded it rather than being an issue with the hardware, but it reminded me of the gimmicky fluid PhysX effects from Borderlands 2 (which were also purple)

We agree on the purple. I think that comes from the light-source being so close. The panel's current brilliance wouldn't produce light that vivid (at least I don't think it would). If halved the diffusion would more accurately reflect the amount of light the hand scan emanates. This RTX tech is all bleeding-edge stuff though, so it'll get better as devs grow more familiar with the tools. But in the meantime, I think it is a significant first step.

Yeah, it does add realism and ambiance when done right.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 21:36 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2019, 21:07:
The sunrise Ray tracing on the mesa looks cool. However, the purple illumination of the weapon looks overdone. Maybe that's how Avalanche coded it rather than being an issue with the hardware, but it reminded me of the gimmicky fluid PhysX effects from Borderlands 2 (which were also purple)

We agree on the purple. I think that comes from the light-source being so close. The panel's current brilliance wouldn't produce light that vivid (at least I don't think it would). If halved the diffusion would more accurately reflect the amount of light the hand scan emanates. This RTX tech is all bleeding-edge stuff though, so it'll get better as devs grow more familiar with the tools. But in the meantime, I think it is a significant first step.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2019, 21:46.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 21:07 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on May 22, 2019, 03:08:
Dacote wrote on May 21, 2019, 21:00:
Kxmode wrote on May 21, 2019, 20:27:
Dacote wrote on May 21, 2019, 20:19:
The test guide is public but the New sheet asks for permission.

Fixed.
noted. Have fun benchmarking.

Thanks.

Almost immediately noticed an RTX feature called "Global Illumination" in Rage 2 (I believe this is part of the RTX's raytracing system), and wow is it nice! Rage 2 with settings maxed out and GI enabled runs at a solid 4K60 (sometimes it bumps past 60). Recorded a 4K60 video showing GI in action. This is pretty much how most games run on my machine. Here's another 4K60 recorded example of GI in play, but this time in the entire environment. You'll notice the overall hue is an orange tint. This is from the sunrise. That was not present on my 1080TI without GI.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Werner Syndrome ie. Now w/Fast Acting Aging May 22, 2019, 09:30 RedEye9

It amazes me that in the near future we will have CRISPR babies and control over our genetic makeup so errors like Werners Syndrome and hemophilia will be a thing of the past. SCIENCE! Party2
https://mosaicscience.com/man-who-aging-fast-werner-syndrome-japan-epigenome-epigenetics/

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 05:17 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on May 22, 2019, 04:49:
Are the videos "hidden" somehow? They didn't show up when I looked at your channel. Thirty one videos in 11 years and you have 233 subscribers, not bad considering.

Yes, they're hidden. Thank you.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 04:49 Mr. Tact

Are the videos "hidden" somehow? They didn't show up when I looked at your channel. Thirty one videos in 11 years and you have 233 subscribers, not bad considering.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 03:08 Kxmode

Dacote wrote on May 21, 2019, 21:00:

Fixed.

Thanks.

Almost immediately noticed an RTX feature called "Global Illumination" in Rage 2 (I believe this is part of the RTX's raytracing system), and wow is it nice! Rage 2 with settings maxed out and GI enabled runs at a solid 4K60 (sometimes it bumps past 60). Recorded a 4K60 video showing GI in action. This is pretty much how most games run on my machine. Here's another 4K60 recorded example of GI in play, but this time in the entire environment. You'll notice the overall hue is an orange tint. This is from the sunrise. That was not present on my 1080TI without GI.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2019, 03:30.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 21:00 Dacote

Fixed.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 20:50 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on May 21, 2019, 19:13:
Dacote wrote on May 21, 2019, 17:56:
Kxmode wrote on May 21, 2019, 17:18:
jdreyer, Dacote - Recieved the 2080TI at work. I'll keep you updated on the 1080TI.
Let us know how much of an improvement it is over your other card.

I plan on updating my test guide with New sheet. This will also include my memory upgrade although I suspect the extra 16GB will have little impact on the FPS. The 2080TI should be handling the bulk of that.

IIRC, too much memory reduces FPS, but that info is 7-8 years old.

Congrats on the new card.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 20:27 Kxmode

Fixed.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 20:19 Dacote

Kxmode wrote on May 21, 2019, 19:13:
jdreyer, Dacote - Recieved the 2080TI at work. I'll keep you updated on the 1080TI.
I plan on updating my test guide with New sheet. This will also include my memory upgrade although I suspect the extra 16GB will have little impact on the FPS. The 2080TI should be handling the bulk of that.

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 19:13 Kxmode

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 17:56 Dacote

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 17:18 Kxmode

8. The Man Who Is Aging Too Fast. May 21, 2019, 17:15 Kxmode

Nobuaki Nagashima has Werner syndrome, which causes his body to age at super speed. This condition is teaching us more about what controls our genes, and could eventually help us find a way to slow aging or stop it altogether.

The million-dollar question is whether these marks are imprints of diseases and aging or whether the marks cause diseases and aging and ultimately death. And if the latter, could editing or removing epigenetic marks prevent or reverse any part of aging or age-related disease?

Science is not going to solve this because the cause is beyond science.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 16:23 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on May 21, 2019, 14:05:
A great white shark is tracked in Long Island Sound for first time.

I used to swim in the sound. We were more worried about makos.

Uh oh, better get Mako!

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 14:05 jdreyer

A great white shark is tracked in Long Island Sound for first time.

I used to swim in the sound. We were more worried about makos.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 14:04 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on May 21, 2019, 12:42:
Burrito of Peace wrote on May 21, 2019, 12:13:
RIP Niki Lauda. An absolutely phenomenal driver with an amazingly honest personality. Who else would tell Enzo Ferrari that his cars were shit?

Rush is an phenomenal film, even if you're not in to the sport. Daniel Bruhl absolutely nails Lauda, even down to his mannerisms.
ok ok, i'll watch it. another good rip write up https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46781936

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 12:47 theglaze

RIP Niki Lauda. An absolutely phenomenal driver with an amazingly honest personality. Who else would tell Enzo Ferrari that his cars were shit?

Rush is an phenomenal film, even if you're not in to the sport. Daniel Bruhl absolutely nails Lauda, even down to his mannerisms.

Hear hear!

The Hollywood flare actually compliments the story in the film, and the animations for the racing scenes are heart-pumping intense!

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 12:42 RedEye9

ok ok, i'll watch it. another good rip write up https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46781936

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo