Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

It was an interesting Game of Thrones finale... I feel like it's taking a while for me to digest it fully. I've seen reactions heaping both praise and criticism, and I guess it probably deserves some of each. But after lowered expectations over the past two seasons I did think it was much better executed than it could have been. I was quite worried it would be such a disappointment that it would feel like it ruined the whole run of the show, so I'm relieved that this was not my takeaway. It was a mixed bag, but I think overall I'm pretty satisfied. Am I wrong here? Was it as bad as some of the critics say?

Satisfactory Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Pit King.
Links: People Are Running Like Horses And I Am Afraid.
Stories: ‘Game of Thrones’ Stars Say Farewell After HBO Juggernaut Wraps.
Plastic water bottle visible during finale of Game of Thrones.
Science: Moondust Could Cloud Our Lunar Ambitions.
‘Earthworm Dilemma’ Has Climate Scientists Racing to Keep Up.
Why Does Coffee Make Us Poop- Scientists Gave Coffee to Rats to Find Out.
Media: Westworld III - HBO 2020.
Jello pool.
The Ultimate Comedy Workout Motivation Montage. NSFW.
The Funnies: xkcd: Westerns.
View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2019, 09:35 yonder

Kxmode wrote on May 20, 2019, 23:43:
Hoop wrote on May 20, 2019, 11:29:
I could not get into GOT from the first episode so never bothered.
I swear the shear number of averagely acted seasons wore you all down & like confused brainwashed hamsters y'all now don't know which way is up or how to feel.

Wait. What? You note you could not get into the first episode of GOT so you never bothered, and then immediately stated the sheer number of averagely acted seasons wore you down. So you're essentially saying you wasted your time watching a show you never had an affinity for? Why would anyone put themselves through that? If you don't like the show, then don't watch it. Just like if you don't like playing a video game anymore, stop playing it.

Yeah, he's never seen it and also he's an expert.

Reminds me of the "I never watch tv because there's nothing good on" crowd. Those poor, sweet summer children.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 19:09 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on May 21, 2019, 16:01:
El Pit wrote on May 21, 2019, 02:45:
Kxmode wrote on May 21, 2019, 00:09:

Sorry, can't answer because of the way you structured your post. Too difficult. But you're wrong in many points and you ignore in some parts what I have already written and what is shown in the series itself (like "he sees the present". Nope. He himself says it in the series: "I can only see THE PAST.")

At least, you liked it. To each their own. And this season of GoT was at least not as bad as Star Wars episodes I and VIII. This gives me some hope that D&D can offer a new SW trilogy that will be hopefully alright. Not great, but not as horrible as SW I and SW VIII.

I stopped watching GoT after season 3. It was just too bleak.

As for D&D making a good Star Wars series, they better get a good team of screenwriters. Seems like GoT went downhill after they ran out of GRRM material.

Technically they didn't run out of material. They ran out of books. Season 7 and 8 come from extensive notes GRRM assembled for the book he'll eventually complete. Granted the show took liberties with more than a few character arcs, but the core stuff is likely to remain the same. Of course, GRRM might change things dramatically to regain fans who may have been turned off by the series or to basically "kill" D&D's version because, you know, it's George Martin.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

35. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 16:01 jdreyer

Sorry, can't answer because of the way you structured your post. Too difficult. But you're wrong in many points and you ignore in some parts what I have already written and what is shown in the series itself (like "he sees the present". Nope. He himself says it in the series: "I can only see THE PAST.")

At least, you liked it. To each their own. And this season of GoT was at least not as bad as Star Wars episodes I and VIII. This gives me some hope that D&D can offer a new SW trilogy that will be hopefully alright. Not great, but not as horrible as SW I and SW VIII.

I stopped watching GoT after season 3. It was just too bleak.

As for D&D making a good Star Wars series, they better get a good team of screenwriters. Seems like GoT went downhill after they ran out of GRRM material.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

34. Re: Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 15:56 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on May 21, 2019, 00:16:
Creston wrote on May 20, 2019, 21:57:
Simon Says wrote on May 20, 2019, 15:32:
Nucas wrote on May 20, 2019, 14:30:
love it or hate it, the good news from game of thrones is we're going to be deluged with expensively produced shows based on good books and stuff for the next two years while everyone tries to be the next game of thrones.

I guess The Witcher could work... But not at the GoT level. Other than that, not sure about any of the others, even LotR. Didn't read anything in that pile.

Why do you think it won't be at the Game of Thrones level? The books are ripe with intrigue between kings, assassinations, treachery etc. The biggest difference between the Witcher series and the GoT is that the Witcher focuses more on fewer characters, and fewer of them die (though there's no shortage of deaths in the Witcher books.)

It's entirely possible for Netflix to pull this off.

Agreed. The premise of the Witcher series is Geralt is a monster slayer. Sometimes those monsters turn out to be people, and sometimes those people are kings and the powerful.

For The Witcher, I'm imagining the fantasy version of Justified.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 06:43 Jonjonz

I will gladly binge watch many times over seasons 1-7, but 8, never again. The entire season 8 is just plain awful and not re-watchable.  

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

32. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 05:07 Kxmode

Sorry, can't answer because of the way you structured your post. Too difficult.

You take one sentence, or a group of sentences, or a paragraph and reply to that. Then move on to the next. How is that difficult? You're the one who crafted a word-salad of thoughts. I was only addressing each at face value.

But you're wrong in many points and you ignore in some parts what I have already written and what is shown in the series itself (like "he sees the present". Nope. He himself says it in the series: "I can only see THE PAST.")

Wrong! He repeatedly told individuals including his family members that his power isn't just limited to the past but the present:

Season 7, Episode 3: Bran (to Sansa): "It means I can see everything. Everything that's ever happened to everyone. Everything that's happening right now."

He wasn't talking in metaphorical terms either. This was a literal power he has. That's why no army will be able to defeat him because he has the ability to not only see their current movements but their plans in the past. When the battle at Winterfell happened, he wasn't warging to escape from the war. He was doing it to observe the battlefield so he can create a memory imprint of it (he is the keeper of Westeros' history) and also as a curiosity because he can. He was also keeping track of the Night King's movements.

I think a better comparison would be The Hobbit films. If that's the point you're trying to make.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2019, 05:24.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 02:51 El Pit

MattyC wrote on May 20, 2019, 20:00:
El Pit wrote on May 20, 2019, 14:57:
Massive GoT spoilers ahead...
Bran the Useless is the new king.

Also spoilers here

I guess, but in name only. De facto Bran is just going to go raven out in a corner, he is more like furniture than a person. That leaves Tyrion. De jure the mad tyrant usurped it from Cersei, who Jon killed. Jon doesn't want the position so it falls to the next in line. That would be Cersei's only living brother - Tyrion.

That just leaves the north. Sansa and Tyrion are still married (right?) so patriarchy and all that also makes him king of the north. There, seven kingdoms once again united under one ruler.

That is the ending I saw and no one can convince me otherwise!

Yes, this makes sense. It is also hinted at in the scene where Bran tells his new council that he will leave them to meditate about the whereabouts of Drogon (or where he has been) and they start making politics under Tyrion's lead.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2019, 03:15.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 02:45 El Pit

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 00:16 Kxmode

Creston wrote on May 20, 2019, 21:57:
love it or hate it, the good news from game of thrones is we're going to be deluged with expensively produced shows based on good books and stuff for the next two years while everyone tries to be the next game of thrones.

I guess The Witcher could work... But not at the GoT level. Other than that, not sure about any of the others, even LotR. Didn't read anything in that pile.

Why do you think it won't be at the Game of Thrones level? The books are ripe with intrigue between kings, assassinations, treachery etc. The biggest difference between the Witcher series and the GoT is that the Witcher focuses more on fewer characters, and fewer of them die (though there's no shortage of deaths in the Witcher books.)

Agreed. The premise of the Witcher series is Geralt is a monster slayer. Sometimes those monsters turn out to be people, and sometimes those people are kings and the powerful.

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 00:09 Kxmode

WARNING: GOT SPOILERS!

He is not useless. As Tyrion pointed out, more than anyone else in the World, Bran knows stories. He knows the world's history and can see the present. What army would ever go against a King who can control the minds of animals and people? Also, as King, his rule is nobler than Jon's because Bran has the one thing Jon doesn't have: ageless wisdom. It may be artificial since he effectively downloaded the history of the world from the previous 3ER, but all that history and knowledge has made Bran very wise beyond his years. Bran has demonstrated temperance even when faced with death.

Also: the Unsullied murder hundreds of people and get away free.

That was war, and had Jon not killed her they would have ended every remaining man, women, and child in Westeros and beyond who would have stood in her way. By stopping her reign before it truly blossomed, the Sullied no longer are held responsible for their actions.

Besides they were effectively pardoned when the council told them to go take land and build a house. Instead, they chose to leave Westeros and sail to Naath and defend Missandei's people.

Jon kills a mad tyrant and is an outcast.

Jaime Lannister killed the King to protect the people of King's Landing from wildfire as was branded a Kingslayer and an Oathbreaker. Despite his wealth as a Lannister, that name stuck with him for the rest of the life.

I think the new justice system in the six kingdoms is off to a great start!

Because ALL those people have seen their share of what war under an heir to a throne can do. They all saw the wisdom in Tyrion's words to elect a king so that no bloodline could own the throne. That, of course, is going to end in failure as a parliamentary form of government has never been successful. But it does show the evolution of Westeros from a pure monarchy to a parliamentary government.

Jesus... This final episode was better than the previous but still... Oh... my... god... Wall

I loved the way the lords and ladies reacted to the idea about democracy, though... Mwahaha

You really should stop using so many ellipses. It's quite unbecoming.

Covering so I don't accidentally spoil it for anyone.

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 23:43 Kxmode

Hoop wrote on May 20, 2019, 11:29:
I could not get into GOT from the first episode so never bothered.
I swear the shear number of averagely acted seasons wore you all down & like confused brainwashed hamsters y'all now don't know which way is up or how to feel.

Wait. What? You note you could not get into the first episode of GOT so you never bothered, and then immediately stated the sheer number of averagely acted seasons wore you down. So you're essentially saying you wasted your time watching a show you never had an affinity for? Why would anyone put themselves through that? If you don't like the show, then don't watch it. Just like if you don't like playing a video game anymore, stop playing it.

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 23:38 Kxmode

Creston wrote on May 20, 2019, 10:59:
Does HBO Now (the internet version) allow you to watch all previous episodes of GoT? Anyone know?

I stopped watching after two seasons and eventually figured I'd just watch all of it once it was done. I guess it's time for me to go and catch up.

Yes. You can even subscribe to HBO through Amazon and make it part of your Amazon Prime TV collection. They also offer Showtime and CBS All Access.

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 23:33 Kxmode

NO SPOILERS: I liked the end of GOT in that it's not the way I expected, but more in the way real life operates, and that there is an ending and life moves on. Could the story continue? Sure. But it wouldn't necessarily be about the games of thrones nor a song about ice and fire.

Well, onward to WATCHMEN!

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 21:57 Creston

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 21:54 Creston

1badmf wrote on May 20, 2019, 21:49:
Does HBO Now (the internet version) allow you to watch all previous episodes of GoT? Anyone know?

I stopped watching after two seasons and eventually figured I'd just watch all of it once it was done. I guess it's time for me to go and catch up.

yes, any hbo sub will let you watch all previous seasons of all shows. highly recommend Barry and chernobyl while you're at it.

Thanks man

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 21:49 1badmf

yes, any hbo sub will let you watch all previous seasons of all shows. highly recommend Barry and chernobyl while you're at it.

my thoughts on GoT: the last two seasons, and especially this season, beyond the shit show writing, were just poorly paced.

hidden: the battle (really war) of winterfell should've been it's own season, and the war for king's landing should've been it's own season. murdering dany should've been the end of the penultimate episode, with the last episode wrapping shit up. even as written, they killed her off to soon in the ep. should've happened around the 1hr mark with 30 mins of wrap up.

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 20:06 afka Rossini

MattyC wrote on May 20, 2019, 20:00:

Also spoilers here

I guess, but in name only. De facto Bran is just going to go raven out in a corner, he is more like furniture than a person. That leaves Tyrion. De jure the mad tyrant usurped it from Cersei, who Jon killed. Jon doesn't want the position so it falls to the next in line. That would be Cersei's only living brother - Tyrion.

That just leaves the north. Sansa and Tyrion are still married (right?) so patriarchy and all that also makes him king of the north. There, seven kingdoms once again united under one ruler.

I think the Sansa and Tyrion marriage was annulled due to non-consumation so she could marry Ramsey Bolton.

After being legitimized, isn't Gendry the rightful male heir of Robert Baratheon?

20. Re: GoT Finale May 20, 2019, 20:00 afka Rossini

I enjoyed it. The first part of the episode was sort of Game Over for the throne. The second part was as one CNN writer put it, a "Game of Sensible, Neatly Arranged Chairs". And then a nice bit of epilogue.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 20:00 MattyC

Also spoilers here

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 16:54 El Pit

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 20, 2019, 16:22:
Game of Thrones
Bran being the king at the end obviously upsets a bunch of poeple but it makes sense overall, dude can see everything past and probably future as well. I think they failed to show how important being the 3-eyed raven was to the fans.
The best ending and winner of the game of thrones is Bronn by getting master of the coin

No, NOT the future. He himself said it - he lives in and sees the past only. He is useless except for a job as a history teacher. He had no purpose in the whole series - not even once. The whole story would have happened without him being around. But he had to become the king because nobody beats him at sitting. He can sit on a throne longer than any other guy out there. Totally best choice ever!

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >