Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

It was an interesting Game of Thrones finale... I feel like it's taking a while for me to digest it fully. I've seen reactions heaping both praise and criticism, and I guess it probably deserves some of each. But after lowered expectations over the past two seasons I did think it was much better executed than it could have been. I was quite worried it would be such a disappointment that it would feel like it ruined the whole run of the show, so I'm relieved that this was not my takeaway. It was a mixed bag, but I think overall I'm pretty satisfied. Am I wrong here? Was it as bad as some of the critics say?

Satisfactory Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Pit King.
Links: People Are Running Like Horses And I Am Afraid.
Stories: ‘Game of Thrones’ Stars Say Farewell After HBO Juggernaut Wraps.
Plastic water bottle visible during finale of Game of Thrones.
Science: Moondust Could Cloud Our Lunar Ambitions.
‘Earthworm Dilemma’ Has Climate Scientists Racing to Keep Up.
Why Does Coffee Make Us Poop- Scientists Gave Coffee to Rats to Find Out.
Media: Westworld III - HBO 2020.
Jello pool.
The Ultimate Comedy Workout Motivation Montage. NSFW.
The Funnies: xkcd: Westerns.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 16:22 Tipsy McStagger

Game of Thrones
Bran being the king at the end obviously upsets a bunch of poeple but it makes sense overall, dude can see everything past and probably future as well. I think they failed to show how important being the 3-eyed raven was to the fans.
The best ending and winner of the game of thrones is Bronn by getting master of the coin

Westworld
I loved season 1, watched the first episode of season2 and went "Ok they went full blown crazy on this shit" like the writers are trying to write the most ludicrous idea ever for shock factor. Ended up not watching anymore because it just had the feeling of losing its fantasy world appeal

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 15:32 Simon Says

Nucas wrote on May 20, 2019, 14:30:
love it or hate it, the good news from game of thrones is we're going to be deluged with expensively produced shows based on good books and stuff for the next two years while everyone tries to be the next game of thrones.

I guess The Witcher could work... But not at the GoT level. Other than that, not sure about any of the others, even LotR. Didn't read anything in that pile.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 14:57 El Pit

Massive GoT spoilers ahead, so... you've been warned.

Bran the Useless is the new king. All hail the king who himself says that he only lives in and sees the past and has no idea about the presence and the future. An ideal choice for present and new challenges of the kingdom... Rolleyes2 The guy who leaves his body in the middle of a fight (of which he is the MacGuffin - for some weird reason it his him the Night King wants - don't ask me...) and tells the people around him "Well, thx for being here, I'll take a nap... uhm... I'll be meditating about the past." I would have rolled him outside the castle PERSONALLY to make sure he does not eat rations that could help the useful people in the castle.

Also: the Unsullied murder hundreds of people and get away free. Jon kills a mad tyrant and is an outcast. I think the new justice system in the six kingdoms is off to a great start! Dunce

Jesus... This final episode was better than the previous but still... Oh... my... god... Wall

I loved the way the lords and ladies reacted to the idea about democracy, though... Mwahaha

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 14:50 Acleacius

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 20, 2019, 12:17:
RedEye9 wrote on May 20, 2019, 11:26:
WestWorld 3 took it somewhere I'd never seen the series going. me likey

It has to be better than Season 2. It has to be.
+1
I am willing to never watch it again, if the crappy writing from season 2 continues.

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country. H

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 14:30 Nucas

Redwood wrote on May 20, 2019, 13:45:
I thought the GoT ending was fine. Amazing? No. Disappointing? Not really. I will save any further discussion, so I don't go into spoiler territory.

this is where i'm at. i thought the last couple seasons were a mess but the finale was very fine.

love it or hate it, the good news from game of thrones is we're going to be deluged with expensively produced shows based on good books and stuff for the next two years while everyone tries to be the next game of thrones.

i'm really looking forward to the wheel of time show myself.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 13:54 saluk

Writer 1: Uh... so it looks like this is how things are going to end.
Writer 2: That's... not great.
Writer 1: What should we do about it? I'm not sure we can make this any better.
Writer 2: I mean if we change this we'll disappoint half of our fans, but if we don't change that we'll disappoint the other half. And these other elements have to line up with the outline the author gave us. We kind of wrote ourselves into a corner.
Writer 1: GRRM not writing any more books didn't help.
Writer 2: No, it didn't.
Writer 1: If we can't make it better, how can we stop people from being disappointed?
Writer 2: Well, I kind of have a crazy idea.
Writer 1: I'm almost afraid to ask. But we might be desperate enough for a crazy plan.
Writer 2: From here on until the finale, we make the show as stupid as we can possibly make it.
Writer 1: That's not crazy. That's brilliant.

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 13:45 Redwood

I thought the GoT ending was fine. Amazing? No. Disappointing? Not really. I will save any further discussion, so I don't go into spoiler territory.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 13:08 Cutter

Westworld Bladerunner?

"Well, what do you believe in, Wade? I'm guessing shotguns and big titties." - Max

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 12:17 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on May 20, 2019, 11:26:

It has to be better than Season 2. It has to be.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 11:57 MrBone

The ending was great. Now we can all sleep like babes.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 11:48 raVen

I think the show writers did very well for trying to tie up as many loose ends as they did. While it's not my favorite and I will be reading the books when they come out. They did a good job of providing a meaningful ending to this story.

There is plenty left that was not tied up, and I'm not sure if it's because George RR Martin wanted to write spin off series for these other characters or if he intends to continue to write more about them before finishing A Song of Fire and Ice.

Some of the characters outgrew this particular story, which I think is why they weren't mentioned as much / revisited in the TV show.

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 11:43 Primalchrome

Very disappointed with GoT over the last two seasons. D&D have proven that they need a great deal of handholding on the back end to make good product. Whereas some of the character realizations this season were telegraphed since season one (Dany), others developed nicely (Sansa), many only made sense if you looked at them sideways (Arya), and finally there were a handful of writing failures (Tyrion, Bran, etc...)

The big question is whether Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy) was trolling the crowd when he said that GRRM was pretty much done with *all* the books, but was contractually obligated to wait until after the HBO series completed to release them.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 11:29 Hoop

I could not get into GOT from the first episode so never bothered.
I swear the shear number of averagely acted seasons wore you all down & like confused brainwashed hamsters y'all now don't know which way is up or how to feel.
Starting Chernobyl tonight, looking forward to that one.
I will post my Rage 2 thoughts here not in the link above regards the average sales.
Dear jaded FPS gamers of the last 10-15 years, what we are privileged to be part of the last few years is the culmination of what was only dreamt of but thought impossible back in 95. It is like life not perfect but at times truly breath taking, movie quality pixelated production values with you in control.

Um .. Behind you...

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 11:26 RedEye9

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 11:02 subx

Of all the endings they could have gone for, I didn’t I imagined they’d go for one as boring as that. Everything was so smoothed over that it felt weird. I was desperately hoping for something interesting to happen, and then it didn’t.

The tonal shift of the last part of the episode was bizarre too. Finishing on a freeze frame of Jon and Tormund skipping off into the distance would have been more in keeping by that stage.

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 10:59 Creston

Does HBO Now (the internet version) allow you to watch all previous episodes of GoT? Anyone know?

I stopped watching after two seasons and eventually figured I'd just watch all of it once it was done. I guess it's time for me to go and catch up.

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 10:57 aka_STEVE

** GAME OF THRONES SPOILERS **

No matter what happened , it's not going to please everyone but I do think when you spend years building up characters & then kill them off nearing the end , it will always be a let down to most.

Conversely, having a character come back from missing for years on the show ( BRAN ) w/ near zero fans caring about & proceed to make him King , will leave a bad taste in peoples' mouth .

The whole thing seems poorly thought out overall...too many bad decisions made that wasn't going to play out well for a rabid fanbase... but when you think about it, it goes right along with the majority of the writing in GOT. Everything you always hoped to happen or thought would happen , usually veers off in a different direction.
SO we probably shouldn't be too surprised about it in the end.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo