Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale

Borderlands 3 is no longer available for preorder on the Epic Games Store, as Gearbox's upcoming shooter sequel is the latest game to be yoinked from the big Epic Games Sale. Other games were removed from the sale because of the impact of the $10.00 USD discount Epic is subsidizing on top of other discounts, and it seems likely that unhappiness with this is behind the removal of the new Borderlands game as well. Eurogamer notes that the PC edition is also no longer available for preorder from the Borderlands website. They asked Epic for a comment, and Epic declined, saying to ask 2K Games, but the publisher has not provided an explanation as of yet.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 21, 2019, 04:32 Drayth

Primalchrome wrote on May 21, 2019, 00:11:
...regardless, I am truly sorry if it communicated racist tones to anyone.

Just him. Don't worry. He gets touchy if someone makes a comment that sounds like it might be against whites. He went on for days weeks about one of Andromeda's developers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 21, 2019, 00:11 Primalchrome

Kxmode wrote on May 20, 2019, 19:16:
You're deflecting. ... But don't throw in borderline racist trash. If you still don't get the point then I'll be sure to block you, or you can block me (I don't care either way).
I can assure you that I understand how you can try to interpret a common gamer stereotype as racist. "Fat old <insert color here> guy" is a hyperbolic phrase I regularly use to describe myself, particularly when talking to my kids or their friends. My use of it was nothing more than daily vernacular to me...but I'll try to be more offended when I call myself that in the future. In the spirit of not feeding actual racism or outrage culture, you're right and I'll be more careful with my comments. What I should have posted was "LOL. So you sum up about 10 issues with Epic/EGS to 'angry old curmudgeons in their mom's basement don't want another icon'. Brilliant." I'm genuinely aghast that someone would try to read a racist tone into something I said.

I get the point...I'm not deflecting anything. I'm not trying to be funny. I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy in the situation.

...regardless, I am truly sorry if it communicated racist tones to anyone.

43. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 20, 2019, 21:03 RedEye9

/

This comment was edited on May 21, 2019, 00:26.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

42. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 20, 2019, 19:16 Kxmode

Primalchrome wrote on May 20, 2019, 11:15:
Kxmode wrote on May 19, 2019, 21:22:
ENOUGH with the stereotyping and borderline racism! If you want to make a point, make it. But don't throw in "fat old white guys." That's spitefully ignorant BS.
I'll try to use small words... I was pointing out just how asinine it was for him to take a list of excellent reasons to question EGS and try to reduce them to 'scared old ball sacks and their icons'. If sarcasm to point out idiocy triggers you, I guess you're one of the folks that feels the need to picket comedians on college campuses? Why the devil didn't you feel the need to cry and scream ageism or sexism with the first post if you're that concerned with social mores?

You're deflecting. First, you're not funny. You knew exactly what you were doing when you chose those words. Second, I'm calling it out for what it is. It's on the same level when cartoonists used to depict black people. Racism is racism, and it's wrong, and I don't want to see it on Blue's News in ANY fashion. As I stated before if you're going to make a point, make it. But don't throw in borderline racist trash. If you still don't get the point then I'll be sure to block you, or you can block me (I don't care either way).

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

41. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 20, 2019, 11:15 Primalchrome

Kxmode wrote on May 19, 2019, 21:22:
ENOUGH with the stereotyping and borderline racism! If you want to make a point, make it. But don't throw in "fat old white guys." That's spitefully ignorant BS.
I'll try to use small words... I was pointing out just how asinine it was for him to take a list of excellent reasons to question EGS and try to reduce them to 'scared old ball sacks and their icons'. If sarcasm to point out idiocy triggers you, I guess you're one of the folks that feels the need to picket comedians on college campuses? Why the devil didn't you feel the need to cry and scream ageism or sexism with the first post if you're that concerned with social mores?

40. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 20, 2019, 10:18 HorrorScope

NM was incorrect.  

39. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 20, 2019, 08:06 Razumen

Verno wrote on May 19, 2019, 06:59:
Sorry for your confusion. I also use Steam. I have a state of the art pc and installing multiple programs on it (ie launchers) does not scare me.

It's good to see your inability to properly install and maintain Windows 10 does not stop you from installing multiple programs on your state of the art PC

Epic isnít keeping exclusivity forever, usually just a year. In this way, EGS is being less douchey than the other stores.

This is wrong though. They force a build wrapper just like Steam does so its not like they're an open platform like GOG. Closed platform + exclusives is at best the same as Steam and actually worse if you consider that they're seeking out third party content to lock out from ALL other stores, not just Steam. Timed or not its shitty behavior that is worse than all competitors including Microsoft, Steam, EA, etc. Epic just having a good sale, that's good behavior. Epic locking out content a la consoles, bad behavior! As I said in the other thread, if Microsofts name was on this instead of Epic, people would be going apeshit.

Now getting back to the topic at hand - Epic needs to come up with a set of rules to protect consumers from this sort of behavior otherwise publishers will go crazy with mark ups right before "sales" and/or yank games. Steam and Origin have this as part of their agreements, your ability to fuck with the price and listings is very limited pre-sale. Instead Epic said here that it wants to respect publishers and let them do what they want. Not smart, publishers can't be trusted to make good decisions - these are the companies working their own employees to exhaustion after all. Hopefully much like the "we will never do steam sales" comment from Sweeney, they will backtrack on this at some point. A good store front will worry about its customers first, not its suppliers.

Steam doesn't force any DRM on developers actually. And Steam isn't an closed platform, developers can sell their game on other stores as ewll.

38. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 20, 2019, 04:09 roguebanshee

CJ_Parker wrote on May 19, 2019, 17:17:
roguebanshee wrote on May 19, 2019, 08:52:
And Origin, Battle.net, uPlay & the Bethesda launcher. The Windows store is technically built into the OS, so it's not technically a seperate launcher, but it still functions as DRM.

The Windows store can luckily be uninstalled very easily via a simple console command. I have no problem using just about every store client from Battle.net to EGS to Steam, uPlay, Origin, Bethesda.net etc. but the Windows store is a complete boycott for me thanks to the abysmal way Microsoft handled GFWL where they removed people's access to games they purchased. They have violated the number 1 rule: Trust.

MS also have no excuse. It's not like they went bankrupt or anything. It was a completely reckless and ruthless move to yank GFWL from PC gamers like they did. Those assholes can shove their Windows store where the sun never shines.

PSA: To uninstall the Windows Store open a PowerShell command line in admin mode. Then enter or copy&paste...

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

^ Done. Store gone. Fuck Microsoft. Live happily ever after.
I know that and have done it. Multiple times. Because the Microsoft store keeps getting reinstalled with the major OS version updates.

37. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 23:28 Mordhaus

RedEye9 wrote on May 19, 2019, 14:06:
Alamar wrote on May 19, 2019, 13:23:
Mordhaus wrote on May 19, 2019, 02:57:
I've even posted a while back calling him out as a corporate shill.

You do have to realize this hyberbole is actually what invalidates your argument, though... I hope...
It's true. I'm a shill and a well paid one at that. Every-time I post in favor of EGS i get $379, weird number but I'll take it. Some words even act as multipliers, so if I use monopoly in a sentence it's 2x $379, tribalism is worth 3x and so on. It adds up fast. Now I know you have questions on what happens if I use more than one bonus word per post, and sadly the answer is it is not additive .
But anywho I made so much money last week my bank called and said I would have to open up another account because my current one was full.
Before long I'll have to double Irish with a Dutch sandwich.

Sarcasm will not hide the fact that if there is an EGS related post, you will be on it like a starving person in front of a Golden Corral buffet. You will bash steam, praise egs, pontificate about how it is GOOD for us that egs is bringing a very console like approach to the PC, and generally use every rationale you can to make it seem like egs is the SAVIOR of gaming by challenging that nasty steam 'monopoly'.

You will ignore logic, ignore posts that call out the fact that while epic has said they will quit doing exclusives once they catch up they never have said what quantifies being 'caught up'. You will ignore the fact that Tim Sweeney has said from his own twitter that epic most likely will not be able to keep the 12% rate for good, as it is not sustainable as the store grows and they add features.

As I stated, you might not be a shill, but you sure as fuck act like one. Either that or you are a fanboi of 'epic' proportions.

36. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 23:01 Verno

Kxmode wrote on May 19, 2019, 21:35:
EGS exclusives, no perks for consumers, and a platform held together by duct tape and chewing gum = BAD

Please don't sugar coat what EGS truly is. It's not about benefiting consumers, it's about empowering publishers.

Yep exactly. It's also worth noting that no one here gives a fuck what the revenue share is. Why the would anyone here care? It does not translate into better prices for you or me. I have no idea why anyone would beat that drum, its a stupid argument that is easily destroyed. I really give a shit that Ubisoft is making 10% more on the EGS or their own platform, that's what keeps me going in life

That's not a valid reason for a consumer to give a shit about their client. And its worth repeating that no one here would be a fan of this if the name Microsoft was swapped with Epic. Having a closed platform like Steam with no real benefits over Steam itself AND locking out third party content? Yes that's BAD, doesn't take a fuckin genius to understand it

People called out Steam when it sucked and they will call out the EGS. Looks like buddy is going to need to grow up and stop being so sensitive about it Trollbashing

Playing: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Spider-Man, Subnautica Below Zero
Watching: The Expanse, Three Kingdoms, The Curse of La Llorona

35. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 21:35 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on May 19, 2019, 18:16:
Worth repeating, actually everything you wrote is worth repeating but I wanted to put special emphasis on it here because this part has twisted up quite a few undies.
"Epic isnít keeping exclusivity forever, usually just a year. In this way, EGS is being less douchey than the other stores. And yet, more than half the people on this board canít get that through their fucking skulls, and act like EGS is doing something unheard of and unforgivable. While they ARE doing something unheard of, namely ďtaking less than half the cut everyone else doesĒ, somehow thatís super fucking evil."

Steam takes 30% = good
Epic takes 12% = BAD

This must be the new math that everyone is talking about. :)

EGS exclusives, no perks for consumers, and a platform held together by duct tape and chewing gum = BAD

Please don't sugar coat what EGS truly is. It's not about benefiting consumers, it's about empowering publishers.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

34. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 21:22 Kxmode

Primalchrome wrote on May 19, 2019, 14:04:
HoSpanky wrote on May 18, 2019, 23:46:
Just admit that youíre angry old ballsacks who are stubborn about wanting to do things the way you always have and having a new icon on your desktop terrifies you. Because thatís it. Thatís all thatís going on here.
LOL. So you sum up about 10 issues with Epic/EGS to 'fat old white guys don't want another icon'. Brilliant.

33. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 18:16 FloorPie

Saboth wrote on May 19, 2019, 06:32:

Also, there's a reason the Steam Sales are getting worse, and that's because they realized there's really no reason for massive discounts because they are the only game in town. And yes, while developers are the ones who decide discounts, I have no doubt Steam plays a role in "influencing" them, as these days, the old discounts of 90%, where you could get a game for $1 or $2 seem to be completely over.

So yeah, I do hope competitors do well, as that will force Steam to do better.

No, the sales are getting worse because the economy has changed (like credit card processing fee hikes) and publishers are trying to keep the value of their game higher for longer instead of letting their game hit $12 bundle status. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. You have AAA games that can drop 25-50% in a matter of 1-3 months (see Epic's subsidized sale price of Genesis Alpha One, $30 down to $10 3 months after release) these days. You were waiting for some rando deal on a game 1-2+ years old to get 90% off? Talk about greedy.

Steam instead of the silly flash sales which most smart customers would just wait till the end of the same to buy anything unless they caught the daily/flash sales now has static holiday sales and midweek/weekend sales and free weekend play. Those are your new flash sales.

As for the other silly pro Epic anti Steam arguments. Steam is at worst a monopoly on access except for big publishers who went on their own in the past 10 years. It has no monopoly on price as there are many 3rd party offically supported by devs/publishers that sell games on Steam. I've complained about many games that start only on Steam and/or have no 3rd party key sellers. That or the games are delayed for business/technical reasons and then months or a year or two later brought to places like GoG, drm free.

Epic with their strategy of exclusives to drive people to their store is anti-competition. Now many think that is the only way they stand a chance of surviving against Steam or at least carve out 30% or whatever number of the market. If that is the case, you don't insult gamers (no reviews, forums) and support your publishers bashing gamers for looking out for their own interests on price, security, longevity of the platform like MS GFWL's shut down mentioned earlier. Publishers/devs can look out for their own interests but not customers.

You don't open up a digital store that is so half-assed that you have no shopping cart. I don't like the store's lazy design or lack of organization for games/genres etc. but to have no shopping cart that you have to buy 1 game at a time? That is ripe for fraud protections going off getting people locked out of their credit cards or Epic itself doing that to customers in their first big sale. Toss in exclusivity with no 3rd party options (Humble doesn't count as its only something like 2-3 games they can sell so far) and its obvious why people don't like the Epic store.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2019, 18:29.

32. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 18:16 RedEye9

HoSpanky wrote on May 18, 2019, 23:46:
Darks, I donít LOVE Steam. But it does its job just fine. So does the EGS, at least for my purposes. Iím not going to complain about my games not all being in one place; that ship sailed when Origin came out. Crying about it now is about 8 years too late.

EGS is barebones. So was Steam. And Origin. And Uplay. They ALL struck when the iron was hot, when they had a killer game to launch their service with, and they expanded services later. Those killer games were exclusives at launch and still are. With each successive storefront to come to market, more exclusives will be needed to get people to use another store. Epic doesnít have a gigantic pile of hotly anticipated self-published games they somehow havenít already released hidden away somewhere to boost their storeís footprint, so they buy short term exclusivity. Exactly zero of this is surprising and all of it makes sense.

Epic isnít keeping exclusivity forever, usually just a year. In this way, EGS is being less douchey than the other stores. And yet, more than half the people on this board canít get that through their fucking skulls, and act like EGS is doing something unheard of and unforgivable. While they ARE doing something unheard of, namely ďtaking less than half the cut everyone else doesĒ, somehow thatís super fucking evil.

Just admit that youíre angry old ballsacks who are stubborn about wanting to do things the way you always have and having a new icon on your desktop terrifies you. Because thatís it. Thatís all thatís going on here.
Worth repeating, actually everything you wrote is worth repeating but I wanted to put special emphasis on it here because this part has twisted up quite a few undies.
"Epic isnít keeping exclusivity forever, usually just a year. In this way, EGS is being less douchey than the other stores. And yet, more than half the people on this board canít get that through their fucking skulls, and act like EGS is doing something unheard of and unforgivable. While they ARE doing something unheard of, namely ďtaking less than half the cut everyone else doesĒ, somehow thatís super fucking evil."

Steam takes 30% = good
Epic takes 12% = BAD

This must be the new math that everyone is talking about.

31. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 17:17 CJ_Parker

roguebanshee wrote on May 19, 2019, 08:52:
And Origin, Battle.net, uPlay & the Bethesda launcher. The Windows store is technically built into the OS, so it's not technically a seperate launcher, but it still functions as DRM.

The Windows store can luckily be uninstalled very easily via a simple console command. I have no problem using just about every store client from Battle.net to EGS to Steam, uPlay, Origin, Bethesda.net etc. but the Windows store is a complete boycott for me thanks to the abysmal way Microsoft handled GFWL where they removed people's access to games they purchased. They have violated the number 1 rule: Trust.

MS also have no excuse. It's not like they went bankrupt or anything. It was a completely reckless and ruthless move to yank GFWL from PC gamers like they did. Those assholes can shove their Windows store where the sun never shines.

PSA: To uninstall the Windows Store open a PowerShell command line in admin mode. Then enter or copy&paste...

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

^ Done. Store gone. Fuck Microsoft. Live happily ever after.

30. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 15:59 Nimh

Being critical of EGS has literally nothing to do with Steam. Valve has plenty of problems and has gotten away with a lot (first loot box developer, and by far it's largest purveyor). To give EGS's anti-consumer tactics a pass, just because Steam exists is non-nonsensical. I guess when you treat your politics like a sports team this is what happens. Ya'll need to get your heads screwed on straight.  

29. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 14:30 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on May 19, 2019, 04:03:
I don't understand the vitriol against Steam. What's so bad about it? I think it provides a lot of usability and it has features that I actually enjoy. What's so bad about it? It has most of my games cataloged on it, and it stays out of the way. It's certainly more usable than Origin. *gag*

There's like one dipstick here who just trolls these topics endlessly on purpose and outside of that most other people are pretty sensible. He's been called out numerous times so people are at least wise to it now.

Steam provides a lot of value otherwise people would not use it. The EGS does not yet provide a lot of value. They tried to bull into the market with stupid consoleland tactics instead of you know, making a decent storefront and client. Shocking that people aren't receptive to it, shocking!

In this case Epic has a very publisher friendly attitude that is inappropriate for a storefront that is supposed to be primarily customer facing. Publishers should absolutely not be allowed to mark up right before sale, pull products mid-sale or screw around with promotions. Their poor behavior in this regard is well documented and EGS should have rules like Steam, Origin and other storefronts that prevent them from doing this.

They had eons to have that Steam Spy guy study their competitor but didn't seem to learn much it. When you're trying to supplant existing stores like Steam, it helps if you sort of *try*

Playing: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Spider-Man, Subnautica Below Zero
Watching: The Expanse, Three Kingdoms, The Curse of La Llorona

28. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 14:20 Creston

El Pit wrote on May 19, 2019, 12:06:
The following is pure speculation: Borderlands 3 will return to the store after the sale. I know, I know - very, VERY unlikely - but not impossible! Wink Winkrazz

It will, but how hilarious would it be if Randy had to eat a giant plate of fucking crow if his publisher changed their mind and put the game back on Steam. Watching him try to hem and haw his way out of all his venomous bullshit would be... Epic.

27. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 14:06 RedEye9

Alamar wrote on May 19, 2019, 13:23:
Mordhaus wrote on May 19, 2019, 02:57:
I've even posted a while back calling him out as a corporate shill.

You do have to realize this hyberbole is actually what invalidates your argument, though... I hope...
It's true. I'm a shill and a well paid one at that. Every-time I post in favor of EGS i get $379, weird number but I'll take it. Some words even act as multipliers, so if I use monopoly in a sentence it's 2x $379, tribalism is worth 3x and so on. It adds up fast. Now I know you have questions on what happens if I use more than one bonus word per post, and sadly the answer is it is not additive .
But anywho I made so much money last week my bank called and said I would have to open up another account because my current one was full.
Before long I'll have to double Irish with a Dutch sandwich.

26. removed May 19, 2019, 14:04 Primalchrome

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 20, 2019, 07:37.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo