Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale

Borderlands 3 is no longer available for preorder on the Epic Games Store, as Gearbox's upcoming shooter sequel is the latest game to be yoinked from the big Epic Games Sale. Other games were removed from the sale because of the impact of the $10.00 USD discount Epic is subsidizing on top of other discounts, and it seems likely that unhappiness with this is behind the removal of the new Borderlands game as well. Eurogamer notes that the PC edition is also no longer available for preorder from the Borderlands website. They asked Epic for a comment, and Epic declined, saying to ask 2K Games, but the publisher has not provided an explanation as of yet.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

25. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 13:23 Alamar

Mordhaus wrote on May 19, 2019, 02:57:
I've even posted a while back calling him out as a corporate shill.

You do have to realize this hyberbole is actually what invalidates your argument, though... I hope...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 12:06 El Pit

The following is pure speculation: Borderlands 3 will return to the store after the sale. I know, I know - very, VERY unlikely - but not impossible! Wink Winkrazz  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

23. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 11:27 yonder

HoSpanky wrote on May 18, 2019, 23:46:

EGS is barebones. So was Steam. And Origin. And Uplay. They ALL struck when the iron was hot

Epic isnít keeping exclusivity forever, usually just a year. In this way, EGS is being less douchey than the other stores. And yet, more than half the people on this board canít get that through their fucking skulls, and act like EGS is doing something unheard of and unforgivable. While they ARE doing something unheard of, namely ďtaking less than half the cut everyone else doesĒ, somehow thatís super fucking evil.

Just admit that youíre angry old ballsacks who are stubborn about wanting to do things the way you always have and having a new icon on your desktop terrifies you. Because thatís it. Thatís all thatís going on here.

Oh you sweet summer couldo...

22. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 09:01 RedEye9

roguebanshee wrote on May 19, 2019, 08:52:
Verno wrote on May 19, 2019, 06:59:
This is wrong though. They force a build wrapper just like Steam
And Origin, Battle.net, uPlay & the Bethesda launcher. The Windows store is technically built into the OS, so it's not technically a seperate launcher, but it still functions as DRM.

Not using a client as part of the DRM scheme is less common than using one.

My hope for the current situation is a shakeup of the status quo. Valve have been way too complacent and basically let Steam get worse and worse over the last couple of years. The worst case scenario is if Epic fails and Valve just coast along on the "everyone already have most of their games on our store, they'll stay if we don't do anything" like they have been doing.

Best case scenario is that the Epic store & client ends up being a good service and Valve putting in actual effort in improving Steam (beyond "ALGORITHMS!").
Sorry, your post lacks sufficient mis-informed hysteria and tribalism to be taken seriously. No company should be allowed to threaten Steams Monopoly. Also competition is bad. Get with the program or suffer the consequences.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

21. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 08:52 roguebanshee

Verno wrote on May 19, 2019, 06:59:
This is wrong though. They force a build wrapper just like Steam
And Origin, Battle.net, uPlay & the Bethesda launcher. The Windows store is technically built into the OS, so it's not technically a seperate launcher, but it still functions as DRM.

Not using a client as part of the DRM scheme is less common than using one.

My hope for the current situation is a shakeup of the status quo. Valve have been way too complacent and basically let Steam get worse and worse over the last couple of years. The worst case scenario is if Epic fails and Valve just coast along on the "everyone already have most of their games on our store, they'll stay if we don't do anything" like they have been doing.

Best case scenario is that the Epic store & client ends up being a good service and Valve putting in actual effort in improving Steam (beyond "ALGORITHMS!").

20. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 06:59 Verno

Sorry for your confusion. I also use Steam. I have a state of the art pc and installing multiple programs on it (ie launchers) does not scare me.

It's good to see your inability to properly install and maintain Windows 10 does not stop you from installing multiple programs on your state of the art PC

Epic isnít keeping exclusivity forever, usually just a year. In this way, EGS is being less douchey than the other stores.

This is wrong though. They force a build wrapper just like Steam does so its not like they're an open platform like GOG. Closed platform + exclusives is at best the same as Steam and actually worse if you consider that they're seeking out third party content to lock out from ALL other stores, not just Steam. Timed or not its shitty behavior that is worse than all competitors including Microsoft, Steam, EA, etc. Epic just having a good sale, that's good behavior. Epic locking out content a la consoles, bad behavior! As I said in the other thread, if Microsofts name was on this instead of Epic, people would be going apeshit.

Now getting back to the topic at hand - Epic needs to come up with a set of rules to protect consumers from this sort of behavior otherwise publishers will go crazy with mark ups right before "sales" and/or yank games. Steam and Origin have this as part of their agreements, your ability to fuck with the price and listings is very limited pre-sale. Instead Epic said here that it wants to respect publishers and let them do what they want. Not smart, publishers can't be trusted to make good decisions - these are the companies working their own employees to exhaustion after all. Hopefully much like the "we will never do steam sales" comment from Sweeney, they will backtrack on this at some point. A good store front will worry about its customers first, not its suppliers.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2019, 07:11.

Playing: Subnautica, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Spider-Man
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Peep Show

19. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 06:32 Saboth

ForgedReality wrote on May 19, 2019, 04:03:
I don't understand the vitriol against Steam. What's so bad about it? I think it provides a lot of usability and it has features that I actually enjoy. What's so bad about it? It has most of my games cataloged on it, and it stays out of the way. It's certainly more usable than Origin. *gag*

I don't have anything against Steam, other than the fact their customer service has been absolutely awful in the past (maybe it's better now? Dunno). I don't like that they can decide which games are "acceptable" (just as I will never own an Apple product for the same reason). They have treated some developers with absolute indifference.

Also, there's a reason the Steam Sales are getting worse, and that's because they realized there's really no reason for massive discounts because they are the only game in town. And yes, while developers are the ones who decide discounts, I have no doubt Steam plays a role in "influencing" them, as these days, the old discounts of 90%, where you could get a game for $1 or $2 seem to be completely over.

So yeah, I do hope competitors do well, as that will force Steam to do better.

18. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 06:17 Jonjonz

Epic Store - the dumpster fire that keeps on giving...  

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

17. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 04:11 Luke

ForgedReality wrote on May 19, 2019, 04:03:
I don't understand the vitriol against Steam. What's so bad about it? I think it provides a lot of usability and it has features that I actually enjoy. What's so bad about it? It has most of my games cataloged on it, and it stays out of the way. It's certainly more usable than Origin. *gag*

Well....if ye like having a vacuum cleaner up your ... while playing , well keep support steam

16. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 04:03 ForgedReality

15. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 02:57 Mordhaus

Darks wrote on May 18, 2019, 20:10:
You know redEye, your as confusing as you always are. Steam is not a monopoly, they are who they were in the beginning they were the ONLY ones offering games on a platform that most everyone loves. So your comments like this are so fucking baffling.

As I said before, even after a lot of us tend to have started to ignore EGS, you can bet you will find a redeye post on almost ANY news regarding epic or egs. It's reached the point of being laughable , I've even posted a while back calling him out as a corporate shill.

14. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 01:46 Rhett

Kxmode wrote on May 19, 2019, 00:06:

My biggest complaint against EGS is their exclusives. They claim it's good for consumers, but so far all it did was force people onto an inferior platform. Epic said their exclusives would benefit customer, yet I haven't seen any perks like charging $50 for games because the publisher gets a bigger cut (that might get me to buy from EGS). Even with the $10 discount, the publisher still makes more than on Steam. My auxiliary complaint against EGS is that it lacks 95% of the stuff Steam has. Eventually, EGS will catch up to Steam, but in the meantime, it's not a minimum viable platform. Epic shouldn't be forcing people to buy from a gaming store held together by duct tape and chewing gum.

All this. I don't adore Steam, but Epic needs to try a lot harder than throwing money at publishers. Their store and launcher is a complete joke. Nevermind how hard it is to get in touch with support.

13. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 19, 2019, 00:06 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on May 18, 2019, 15:16:
Primalchrome wrote on May 18, 2019, 15:06:
RedEye9 wrote on May 18, 2019, 14:05:
EGS hate bash party because EPIC did X where X this time is discounted a game too much.
So, enlighten me.... Are you an Epic fanboi, or just hate Gabe/Steam? Your constant trolling for the lolz every time Epic fucks something up is very confusing. Usually you're happy to take potshots at idiotic corporations regardless of who they are....
Sorry for your confusion. I also use Steam. I have a state of the art pc and installing multiple programs on it (ie launchers) does not scare me.
I am just glad to see someone going up against the monopoly that is Steam.

I don't agree with that, but I respect your point of view.

My biggest complaint against EGS is their exclusives. They claim it's good for consumers, but so far all it did was force people onto an inferior platform. Epic said their exclusives would benefit customer, yet I haven't seen any perks like charging $50 for games because the publisher gets a bigger cut (that might get me to buy from EGS). Even with the $10 discount, the publisher still makes more than on Steam. My auxiliary complaint against EGS is that it lacks 95% of the stuff Steam has. Eventually, EGS will catch up to Steam, but in the meantime, it's not a minimum viable platform. Epic shouldn't be forcing people to buy from a gaming store held together by duct tape and chewing gum.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

12. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 18, 2019, 23:46 HoSpanky

Darks, I donít LOVE Steam. But it does its job just fine. So does the EGS, at least for my purposes. Iím not going to complain about my games not all being in one place; that ship sailed when Origin came out. Crying about it now is about 8 years too late.

EGS is barebones. So was Steam. And Origin. And Uplay. They ALL struck when the iron was hot, when they had a killer game to launch their service with, and they expanded services later. Those killer games were exclusives at launch and still are. With each successive storefront to come to market, more exclusives will be needed to get people to use another store. Epic doesnít have a gigantic pile of hotly anticipated self-published games they somehow havenít already released hidden away somewhere to boost their storeís footprint, so they buy short term exclusivity. Exactly zero of this is surprising and all of it makes sense.

Epic isnít keeping exclusivity forever, usually just a year. In this way, EGS is being less douchey than the other stores. And yet, more than half the people on this board canít get that through their fucking skulls, and act like EGS is doing something unheard of and unforgivable. While they ARE doing something unheard of, namely ďtaking less than half the cut everyone else doesĒ, somehow thatís super fucking evil.

Just admit that youíre angry old ballsacks who are stubborn about wanting to do things the way you always have and having a new icon on your desktop terrifies you. Because thatís it. Thatís all thatís going on here.

11. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 18, 2019, 21:25 swaaye

I have a feeling that "most everyone" will flow wherever their games are, or wherever the money is right. The "love" is actually just "habit". All the forum posts in the world won't do anything to affect how it all unfolds.  

10. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 18, 2019, 20:10 Darks

You know redEye, your as confusing as you always are. Steam is not a monopoly, they are who they were in the beginning they were the ONLY ones offering games on a platform that most everyone loves. So your comments like this are so fucking baffling.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

9. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 18, 2019, 15:42 Creston

Clearly this was extremely well planned out and communicated.

8. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 18, 2019, 15:16 RedEye9

Primalchrome wrote on May 18, 2019, 15:06:
EGS hate bash party because EPIC did X where X this time is discounted a game too much.
So, enlighten me.... Are you an Epic fanboi, or just hate Gabe/Steam? Your constant trolling for the lolz every time Epic fucks something up is very confusing. Usually you're happy to take potshots at idiotic corporations regardless of who they are....
I am just glad to see someone going up against the monopoly that is Steam.
As for hating on EGS because they discounted games, nah, can't see doing that.

fyi Valve is not your friend, and Steam is not healthy for gaming

This comment was edited on May 18, 2019, 15:32.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

7. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 18, 2019, 15:06 Primalchrome

6. Re: Borderlands 3 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 18, 2019, 15:04 Darks

Gotta say I'm loving all the turmoil thats happening to Epic. Couldn't be happen to a more rotten ass company, and well deserved.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo