Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Fassbender, Foxx, Dinklage Up For "Wild Bunch." Please. Just. Don't. Feel free to make more remakes of pretty good westerns such as The Magnificent Seven and True Grit. There are plenty out there where you can justify another take on the concept. But The Wild Bunch is Sam Peckinpah's masterpiece, and I don't see how you can do it justice. The only thing that would upset me more is if someone decided to start remaking Sergio Leone movies. I may need to round up a posse and go after these outlaws.

Wild Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: The "Game of Thrones" finale will cost the U.S. $3.3 billion in lost productivity. Thanks LinkedIn.
Science: Can CBD Really Do All That? Thanks j.c.f.
Wandering Earth: rocket scientist explains how we could move our planet.
Younger Children Make More Informed Decisions Than Older Children, Study Finds. Thanks Max.
Archaeologists find DNA in a 10,000-year-old piece of chewing gum. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Images: Underground Photos From New York’s Seediest Years. Thanks Digg.
Media: How to hypnotize a rooster.
Guy Sticks His Camera Into A Rattlesnake Den And It Is A Big Pile Of Nope - Digg
Multiple launch rocket system being fired at night.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 15:29 Mr. Tact

Was just looking, hard to believe it's been six years since Banks died. I'd love to see some of the big names take a run at writing some Culture novels...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2019, 12:54 Rectal Prolapse

Hmmm - I thought the translators were both (Chinese-)American? I *think* both are also writers. The 3rd book uses the same translator as the 1st.

Heh, I've read the Commonwealth Saga twice already. Some of the culture novels I've read twice too. My favorite Banks' book is The Bridge, and maybe even The Crow Road, although the latter isn't SF and the former is more fantasy.

Snow Crash was great only because it was fresh and new at the time. The writing style does not age well, compared to Neal's later work. But I read it for a second time maybe 10 years ago or so anyways.

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 19:30 Mr. Tact

That's good enough, I loved both the Commonwealth Saga and all the Culture novels. I've read both multiple times. It seems our tastes cross at some level. I tried Snow Crash, but couldn't get past the start. But I should probably try it again as the attempt was a long time ago. Especially since so many people love Stephenson I feel like he deserves another attempt. So, I'll try to find some time to give Mr. Liu's trilogy a try. Is the translator related? Both are "Liu"s -- I'm predicting the translator is the son. Then again, I suspect Liu is a common name.

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2019, 18:50 Rectal Prolapse

Mr Tact,
Pandora's Star (and the sequels) by Peter F. Hamilton
Excession by Iain M. Banks
Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks
Feersum Enjinn by Iain M. Banks
Chung Kuo: The Middle Kingdom, by David Wingrove (this makes Game of Thrones look like Disneyland - the first few books are incredible world building with deep characterizations. Like the GoT series, stop reading after book 5 - the author started losing his way.)
Wool by Hugh Howey (ok, not the best thing I've read, but it has some nice fantasy-like qualities that are kind of classical).
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (great world building...get it?)
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
Life During Wartime by Lucius Shephard (I was a teen when I read and even though it was deeply flawed, it made an impression on me)
Glasshouse by Charles Stross (a fun book)
The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross
The Forge of God by Greg Bear
Startide Rising by David Brin
The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (I read this young as well - made an impression but probably nothing special now)
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (if you don't like this, maybe you will listen to Reason...)

There are quite a few others but it was so long ago I cannot remember them all.

24. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 20, 2019, 09:11 Mr. Tact

Rectal Prolapse wrote on May 20, 2019, 03:25:
The sequels are on a whole other level - they are incredible masterworks of science fiction, on par with Alfred Bester. The best SF I've read in years. And I've read a sh*tload of SF.

1st book is weak. 2nd book is great fun. The 3rd book is a masterpiece.
That's a bold statement. Could you give a short sampling of some other books you thought were great? (something outside the big three)

23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 20, 2019, 03:25 Rectal Prolapse

Drath71 wrote on May 19, 2019, 07:55:
Sounds like a crap movie, thanks Cranston.
I also ready most of the 3 body problem, and feel like it's a garbage book also.

I didn't like Three Body Problem either - but I finished it anyways. The ending had me intrigued despite the rest of the book's problems. The sequels are on a whole other level - they are incredible masterworks of science fiction, on par with Alfred Bester. The best SF I've read in years. And I've read a sh*tload of SF.

1st book is weak. 2nd book is great fun. The 3rd book is a masterpiece.

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2019, 21:45 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on May 19, 2019, 15:47:
Creston wrote on May 19, 2019, 14:23:
There was an interview with a NASA scientist who actually thought of a problem waaaay before any of mine hit: We have a moon. If you move the Earth, the moon's orbit becomes unstable, and it will fairly quickly crash into the Earth, thereby obliterating it.
Dude, come on. Clearly the rockets are so powerful they move the Earth away before the Moon can crash into it. Duh! That NASA scientist should be fired!

Calling the concepts in this movie science fiction is an insult to all other science fiction.

Why didn't they just build a giant tractor beam on Earth and pull it along? Or blow it up with a giant death star ray? Seems like lots of simple solutions.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2019, 15:47 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on May 19, 2019, 14:23:
There was an interview with a NASA scientist who actually thought of a problem waaaay before any of mine hit: We have a moon. If you move the Earth, the moon's orbit becomes unstable, and it will fairly quickly crash into the Earth, thereby obliterating it.
Dude, come on. Clearly the rockets are so powerful they move the Earth away before the Moon can crash into it. Duh! That NASA scientist should be fired!

Calling the concepts in this movie science fiction is an insult to all other science fiction.

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2019, 14:23 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on May 18, 2019, 18:53:
Creston, what in the world intrigued you enough to cause you to watch the film in the first place? This is the first I've heard anything about it, but just reading the first sentence of that article nearly made me laugh out loud.

I dunno, the special effects looked pretty good, it was a new sci-fi movie, apparently it is currently the third-best grossing movie of the year across the globe (and yes, that list includes Avengers) and, of course, most importantly, it was free.

And while I am not enjoying the Three Body Problem (at ALL), it's grounded in mostly realistic science, so I had some hopes this movie would be too. But nope, Cixin Liu decided "Man, fuck this science bullshit! ROCKETS ON THE EARTH AND VROOM VROOM THROUGH THE SOLAR SYSTEM YIPPITY YEEHAW!"

19. Re: Out of the Blue - The Wild Bunch May 19, 2019, 10:58 El Pit

Jonjonz wrote on May 19, 2019, 06:48:
Like most of Peck's movies, TWB has not held up well. Other than the memorable opening scene with the scorpion, it now plays pretty much like any other late 2000's low budget action shoot-em-up with over the hill actors amid lots of slo-mo machine gunning, mass carnage, and gratuitous violence.

The off screen mass shoot out of Butch Cassidy is 10 times better and more effective.

The final scenes and the part that leads up to the Bunch's decision in TWB is perfect. People watch it and start worshipping Peckinpah. Something this good can not be improved - it can be copied, it can be spoofed, but there is no way to make it better. Like most of Peckinpah's movies, TWB is a timeless classic.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2019, 10:55 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on May 18, 2019, 19:06:
As someone who grew up in the cold war, lived a few miles from a US sub nuclear base

Twice driving down to California from Vancouver I saw nuclear subs in whatever the naval base is in northern Washington state there. Man, they are just enormous. Putting aside the death and destruction aspect they're an impressive feat of engineering.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

17. Re: Saturday Safety Dance May 19, 2019, 08:46 RedEye9

Drath71 wrote on May 19, 2019, 07:58:
https://www.studyfinds.org/younger-children-make-informed-decisions-older-children-study-finds/

Interesting, I'd like to see some sort of chart showing this as children age. I would have bet big money that it would have taken a massive spike around 15.
I'll take that bet because the answer is in the article
"by age six, they are taking shortcuts at rates as high as adults".

I accept PayPal, Square and Venmo Wink

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

16. Re: Saturday Safety Dance May 19, 2019, 07:58 Drath71

https://www.studyfinds.org/younger-children-make-informed-decisions-older-children-study-finds/

Interesting, I'd like to see some sort of chart showing this as children age. I would have bet big money that it would have taken a massive spike around 15.

15. Re: Saturday Safety Dance May 19, 2019, 07:55 Drath71

Sounds like a crap movie, thanks Cranston.
I also ready most of the 3 body problem, and feel like it's a garbage book also.

14. Re: Out of the Blue - The Wild Bunch May 19, 2019, 06:48 Jonjonz

Like most of Peck's movies, TWB has not held up well. Other than the memorable opening scene with the scorpion, it now plays pretty much like any other late 2000's low budget action shoot-em-up with over the hill actors amid lots of slo-mo machine gunning, mass carnage, and gratuitous violence.

The off screen mass shoot out of Butch Cassidy is 10 times better and more effective.

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2019, 06:43 bigspender

Multiple launch rocket system being fired at night.

Just one rocket from that will destroy every man or vehicle in a football stadium sized area..... and they launched about 60 missiles in that session.... yikes!

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2019, 20:12 Hoop

What's next a Ghostbusters remake, the original cast replaced with chicks & a tired pc script.  

Um .. Behind you...

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2019, 19:16 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on May 18, 2019, 19:06:
Got around to watching Chernobyl last night. So amazing. I had intended to watch only the first episode and go to bed, but of course I had to watch the second immediately.

As someone who grew up in the cold war, lived a few miles from a US sub nuclear base, and lived in a town with a nuclear power plant, I had no problem understanding what was going on from a scientific/technical standpoint. But I wonder if people with less knowledge and experience would be confused.

- Why take iodine pills?
- Why doesn't water put out the fire?
- What's a rontgen?
Etc.
I never new how roentgen was pronounced, or that it could be spelled rontgen (o w/an umlaut) Thanks Wilhelm Rontgen, you rock!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roentgen_(unit)
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/roentgen

The docudrama is super

edit
Thanks for posting those links, I watched the NOVA video last night and I'll watch the other one tonight.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2019, 12:45.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2019, 19:06 jdreyer

Got around to watching Chernobyl last night. So amazing. I had intended to watch only the first episode and go to bed, but of course I had to watch the second immediately.

As someone who grew up in the cold war, lived a few miles from a US sub nuclear base, and lived in a town with a nuclear power plant, I had no problem understanding what was going on from a scientific/technical standpoint. But I wonder if people with less knowledge and experience would be confused.

- Why take iodine pills?
- Why doesn't water put out the fire?
- What's a rontgen?
Etc.

Like 1badmf, I had the same reaction to (spoilers) the 4 MT explosion discussion scene. I had never heard that before, thought it was pumped up for dramatic effect. A bit of googling, and I discovered that it is for real. I'm still doing some research into how (spoilers) combining the molten uranium slag with water facilitates a super-critical reaction. But basically, I think it works like this: Unlike a nuclear weapon which contains just a few pounds of material, the reactor had approximately 1,900 kg of uranium-235 and 760 kg of plutonium-239 in the reactor core at the moment of the accident. That mass is continuously shedding neutrons, the "bullets" used as analogy in the show. Water, like graphite, is a moderator. It slows down the neutrons. This slowing makes it more likely that they will hit nuclei creating fission, releasing more energy and neutrons and so on until the entire mass goes super-critical, creating a nuclear explosion. You can see this explained here.

Here's the entire documentary from the "for real" clip above.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2019, 18:53 Mr. Tact

Creston, what in the world intrigued you enough to cause you to watch the film in the first place? This is the first I've heard anything about it, but just reading the first sentence of that article nearly made me laugh out loud.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2019, 22:38.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo