Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale

Apparently some publishers were not aware of elements of the Epic Mega Sale launched yesterday on the Epic Games Store. A story on Kotaku reports that a couple of titles are no longer available on the store during the sale, most notably Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2, the upcoming RPG sequel. The game was removed shortly after the sale began, and word is purchases made before it disappeared will be honored, but apparently Paradox was not happy with how inexpensive this made the game, probably due to the additional $10.00 discount Epic is funding. Kotaku has a comment from Paradox: "We are in discussion with Epic regarding the temporary removal of Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 from the Epic Game Store," the company confirms. "The game will return to the store soon! Any purchases made while the game was discounted during the Epic Mega Sale will be honored and no Masquerade violations will be assessed." They also this quote on the situation: "If a developer or publisher chooses to not participate in our sales, we will honor that decision," an Epic representative said in an email. "Paradox Interactive has chosen to not participate in the Epic Mega Sale and the game has been temporarily removed from sale. If youíve purchased Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 during the period when the discount did apply at the time of check out, Epic will honor that price." They also note that Oxygen Not Included is no longer, well, included, but that publisher Klei Entertainment has not yet commented on the situation. Finally, the report discusses some pricing adjustments made to games to make their sale discounts better align with publisher desires.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 18, 2019, 10:10 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on May 18, 2019, 10:05:
The real question is why would anyone pre-order a game for which we have seen absolutely ZERO real gameplay yet?
1. They save a dime.
2. They get a skin for a weapon or a limited tchotchke.
3. They are new to gaming and/or they have zero willpower/self control.
4. They really really want it and just have to preload it so they can play it when it unlocks. squeee/rheee

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 18, 2019, 10:05 eRe4s3r

The real question is why would anyone pre-order a game for which we have seen absolutely ZERO real gameplay yet?  

31. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 21:40 Verno

Drayth wrote on May 17, 2019, 18:44:
And when so there were people discussing it. Pro Epic Store or not, fact is lack of shopping cart leads to ironic situation during major sale.

You don't have to white knight EVERY. SINGLE. CRITICISM.

+1 on that domination ownage

Can't criticize obvious problems and shortcomings of new platform, its new so that makes anything A-OK. Also Steam bad! Trollbashing

Steam and every other major platform have been dissected at length here and so will the EGS. Fanboys can just deal with it.

Playing: Total War: Three Kingdoms, Pillars of Eternity II, Warhammer Chaosbane
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Barry

30. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 19:33 saluk

BurntSoul wrote on May 17, 2019, 14:21:
Epic,

Why would you not clearly communicate with the publishers that are allowing you exclusivity to only your storefront?

They are already trying to stick their neck out for you by doing so, knowing full well they'd get more sales from Steam in a shorter time frame than you ever could at this point.

If it was a mistake then fine, otherwise it looks pretty deceitful from the viewpoint of the publishers, and weirdly a bait and switch tactic while also trying to generate some kind of hurried action on to your potential buyers...

(in the voice of Justin Roiland)
"Hey! Look at us! Come on down! Look at our storefront, we have cheeeaap deals! We're slashing price cuts ON TOP of the regular sales that these publishers are giving you! Tell your friends!"

(two days later)

...um, Whoops! But look at our cheap deeeaallls! Better hurry up and buy these games before the rest of our cherished (yeah, whatever) game publishers catch wind of what we're doing!"

PS: Yes, I do like the sales. It just feels so cheesy, Epic.

A+ Roiland.

29. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 19:09 Drayth

That was emphasis, not upsetitednessanesiness.  

28. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 19:06 RedEye9

Drayth wrote on May 17, 2019, 18:44:
RedEye9 wrote on May 17, 2019, 18:32:
Steam has never ever ever had an issue on the first day of a sail. :-facepalm-:

And when so there were people discussing it. Pro Epic Store or not, fact is lack of shopping cart leads to ironic situation during major sale.

Yes, I can see that you used all caps. Sorry I upset you.

I am also sorry they don't have a shopping cart.

I am also sorry that some twitteridiot triggered their fraud prevention. I am sorry that Epic has Fraud Prevention, they suck.

I am also sorry that he got in touch with their customer service and that they responded to him with "real customer service" within 25 minutes.

I apologize.

It is my fault.

Hope all is well.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

27. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 18:44 Drayth

RedEye9 wrote on May 17, 2019, 18:32:

26. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 18:32 RedEye9

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
I'm sure the last thing Epic wants you to do is buy a game.

25. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 18:25 Drayth

dubfanatic wrote on May 17, 2019, 17:26:
...and then kicking them out for having too much fun. Apparently people are getting banned for buying too many games in succession (since the store doesnít have a shopping cart). Look at Patrick Boivinís Twitter. Iíd link to it but Twitter is refusing to load for me right now

Read two tweets. Hilarious.

I think Walmart is a more refined and elegant shopping experience.

24. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 17:26 dubfanatic

NKD wrote on May 17, 2019, 16:47:
Epic is the equivalent of some sad loser paying people to come to his shitty fucking party.

...and then kicking them out for having too much fun. Apparently people are getting banned for buying too many games in succession (since the store doesnít have a shopping cart). Look at Patrick Boivinís Twitter. Iíd link to it but Twitter is refusing to load for me right now

23. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 16:47 NKD

Keith wrote on May 17, 2019, 16:29:
As an aside, I can't imagine any modern gaming platform interface being worse than Steam's. Turns out Epic made it happen.

Epic is the equivalent of some sad loser paying people to come to his shitty fucking party.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

22. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 16:29 Keith

As an aside, I can't imagine any modern gaming platform interface being worse than Steam's. Turns out Epic made it happen.  

21. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 15:43 Verno

I think it's more than that, there were some leaked details about the contracts on reddit that indicated publishers/devs take significantly reduced revenue share in exchange for the upfront cash during the exclusivity period. There have been similar agreements in consoleland in the past. So it makes more sense for them to avoid discounted copies until after the contract vests.  

20. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 14:59 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on May 17, 2019, 10:38:
[partially because it devalues the product for consumers. Once it's on sale, a good chunk of consumers will just wait for the next sale, which is why brands hate their products being put on sale too quickly.

This was the leading thought from the consensus. For example they have several games not released yet on sale, some are saying why would I later buy it at a higher price? I'm not saying they are right or wrong, but there was a lot of chat about that yesterday.

19. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 14:42 CJ_Parker

BurntSoul wrote on May 17, 2019, 14:21:
They are already trying to stick their neck out for you by doing so, knowing full well they'd get more sales from Steam in a shorter time frame than you ever could at this point.

Say WHAT? You do realize that the publishers have been given money for these exclusivity deals, right? You do realize that they have been given A LOT of fucking money, right? You do realize that their beancounters must have figured it to be a better deal than putting the game on Steam from the start, right?
Or do you in all sincerity believe that any publisher did this "to stick their neck out" for Epic? LOOOOOOOOOOOOL... . That's really cute.

The above is also the exact reason why the anger at Epic is completely misdirected. The very simple fact of the matter is that the publisher (or a self-publishing developer) has a game that they publish. Only they decide where, when, how, why, at what price their game gets published. Period. If they accept an incentive "bribe" by EGS for an exclusivity deal then that's on the publisher.

Publishers aren't helpless little children that get bribed by pedo uncle Tim Sweeney into doing dirty things. They are corporations run by adults who consciously decide that it is a good idea to accept Epic's monies for an exclusivity period.
If I had a problem with these deals then I'd be pissed at the greedy publishers, not Epic.
I can understand that they are trying to score these exclusives to kickstart their store. I can also understand if (self-publishing) indie devs are signing these deals. But there are also larger gigs like THQ Nordic (Metro Exodus) who accepted these bribes with their grubby little greed fingers.

Of course most people want to be pissed at EGS because if they were consequential they would have to boycott the greedy publishers who sign these exclusivity deals. And of course people can not boycott because they are addicted to gaming. They still NEED these games like a drug.

18. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 14:28 Riahderymnmaddog

well IMO if it is sold at a discount before it is even release the toxic YouTubers and conspiracy theorist will loose their shit and say this is undeniable proof that the game is pure garbage, as they always do. This could impact future sales.  

17. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 14:21 BurntSoul

Epic,

Why would you not clearly communicate with the publishers that are allowing you exclusivity to only your storefront?

If it was a mistake then fine, otherwise it looks pretty deceitful from the viewpoint of the publishers, and weirdly a bait and switch tactic while also trying to generate some kind of hurried action on to your potential buyers...

(in the voice of Justin Roiland)
"Hey! Look at us! Come on down! Look at our storefront, we have cheeeaap deals! We're slashing price cuts ON TOP of the regular sales that these publishers are giving you! Tell your friends!"

(two days later)

...um, Whoops! But look at our cheap deeeaallls! Better hurry up and buy these games before the rest of our cherished (yeah, whatever) game publishers catch wind of what we're doing!"

PS: Yes, I do like the sales. It just feels so cheesy, Epic.

16. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 14:13 jdreyer

Creston wrote on May 17, 2019, 10:00:
I don't get it. If Epic chooses to essentially pick up 10 bucks of the tab, why does the publisher care?

It devalues the product. If people know it was once available for $20, there's no way they'll pay $60.

Edit: ninja'd by Beamer.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 13:39 RedEye9

Odd, there is an Epic lack of hate directed at EGS in this thread.  

14. Re: Bloodlines 2 Pulled from Epic Mega Sale May 17, 2019, 13:30 Verno

This is why Steam has strict rules on the before/after periods for discounts and sales regarding markdowns and pulls. They don't allow publishers to do this kind of nonsense.

One more thing for the Epic trello board stuff that keeps getting pushed back

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo