Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

I wanted to mention my reaction to the second episode of Chernobyl before it came up in the forums here last night, but I was so struck by it I will anyway. I don't think I've ever felt such an impact from any media before this, whether it be a movie, TV show, or book. This was always described as a disaster that could have been far worse, but I was never aware of just how close it came to destroying such a huge chunk of the world. It is truly staggering. The two sides of human nature this exemplifies is also quite striking: The abject incompetence of some of those in charge denying the severity of the problem juxtaposed with the mind-boggling heroism of those who were willing to risk certain death to contain the catastrophe is amazing. Must-see TV indeed.

R.I.P.: Bob Hawke, former Australian prime minister, dead at 89.

Nuclear Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: Marvel Boss Kevin Feige Answers Lots Of Avengers, MCU Questions In Reddit AMA.
Stories: After Walking Thousands Of Miles, Mink The Bear Is Almost Back Home. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Chang'e-4: Chinese rover 'confirms' Moon crater theory. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: Handstand Workout. In case you are not feeling inadequate.
Record Breaking Dive To The Mariana Trench.
Someone get these Gorillas an umbrella. I didn't see the glass at first.
Follow-up: Craig To Return To "Bond 25" Set Within The Week.
SpaceX scrubs first attempt to launch 60 Internet satellites [Updated].
Zion Williamson could return to Duke after New Orleans Pelicans win NBA Draft lottery.
The Funnies: xkcd- XKeyboarCD.
Savage Chickens.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Handstand Workout May 17, 2019, 00:17 1badmf

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 16, 2019, 22:26:
Wow. That's some serious arm and core strength, balance, and willpower.

I can do handstand pushups (after years of work) but I sure as shit am not going to even attempt 70-80% of that video.

More on topic: That's some serious praise for the Chernobyl HBO series... I'll definitely watch it after I finish Deadwood, and watch something a little more...upbeat... in between.

as blue recommended before, if you're looking for more, shall we say, jocular fare, watch Barry on HBO. it's a dark comedy about an assassin who wants to give it up and become an actor. bill hader is brilliant, and it's a lot more complex than the premise would have you believe.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2019, 00:14 1badmf

Simon Says wrote on May 16, 2019, 23:33:
Great serie so far indeed... And when she said the possible yield on that explosion, my jaw hit the floor, the realization hit that we got very "lucky" it didn't happen. We'd live in a completely different world right now.

i thought that number highly unlikely. secret text: i don't see how a steam explosion could cause nuclear fuel to go supercritical in a runaway chain reaction like that. pretty sure that was just poetic license. a multi-megaton reaction would almost always be the result of a fusion reaction - fission weapons top out at below a megaton. further, to initiate a nuclear detonation requires very precise explosive compression - that's why it's so hard to make nukes. if the timing is off by even a few thousandths of a second you'd get a fizzle - the fissile material gets blown apart without detonating; essentially a dirty bomb. scary yes, but two megatons it's not.

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 23:33 Simon Says

Great serie so far indeed... And when she said the possible yield on that explosion, my jaw hit the floor, the realization hit that we got very "lucky" it didn't happen. We'd live in a completely different world right now.

Star Trek titlebait... not expecting anything from that seeing as it's produced by the same people who produced Jar Jar Abrams movies and the STD infection.

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 22:43 Rhialto

Dang, thought it was a documentary like in free to watch, not a series of episodes. I was thinking of BBC initially, oops! I'll wait then, maybe it will come in french too later!

Thanks RedEye9, HBO in Canada is the Crave link.

28. Re: Handstand Workout May 16, 2019, 22:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wow. That's some serious arm and core strength, balance, and willpower.

I can do handstand pushups (after years of work) but I sure as shit am not going to even attempt 70-80% of that video.

More on topic: That's some serious praise for the Chernobyl HBO series... I'll definitely watch it after I finish Deadwood, and watch something a little more...upbeat... in between.

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 21:46 Scottish Martial Arts

WaltC wrote on May 16, 2019, 10:45:
As with any "based on true events" television or movie, I think it pays to remember that a certain amount of dramatic license is taken with the facts, timelines, persons involved, etc...;) Probably wouldn't be so riveting otherwise!

Sure, but they aren't really changing the underlying history, so much as omitting, combining, and/or eliding so as to better tell the story. For example, Legasov and Scherbina are shown meeting at the Kremlin and then boarding a helicopter to go to Chernobyl, when A) they met on site, and B) Chernobyl is well outside helicopter range from Moscow. Similarly, in order for the three engineers to go into the reactor sub basements to open the sluice gates, an Army captain and some of his men had to pump out much of the water so that it would be possible to send in engineers at all, something which the show doesn't depict. The history really is as dramatic as the show makes it out to be; they've just adapted the history to fit the constraints of the television mini-series format.

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 21:30 RedEye9

1badmf wrote on May 16, 2019, 21:18:
i love the subdued approach to the show. horror doesn't have to be gasping screams in the dark - silence can be terrifying in itself and this show does that very well. VERY well. great show if you hate bad management. you get to watch them die of horrifying radiation burns.
Can you imagine treading the fine line between Ass-Kissing, Knowledge Sharing and Covering Your Own Ass knowing at any moment that if you offend the party big wig your gonna get a bullet.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 21:18 1badmf

i love the subdued approach to the show. horror doesn't have to be gasping screams in the dark - silence can be terrifying in itself and this show does that very well. VERY well. great show if you hate bad management. you get to watch them die of horrifying radiation burns.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 20:14 jdreyer

After complaining, ventry proclaims he won't complain.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

23. removed May 16, 2019, 19:31 ventry

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 16, 2019, 20:35.

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 18:04 RedEye9

nuclear power . It already supplies most of the power to the EU.
Less than 30% is the new "most" Laugh2 https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/cache/infographs/energy/bloc-2b.html

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/others/european-union.aspx

Almost 90% of new power in Europe from renewable sources

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 15:45 Dacote

Cutter wrote on May 16, 2019, 15:28:
PHJF wrote on May 16, 2019, 12:07:
Ionizing radiation damages electronic equipment. Components can be "hardened" to shield them from the effects, but I doubt such old soviet-era equipment was built for such a hostile environment.

Yes I know that much but that doesn't explain why the prop fell off. It looked like it almost disintegrated.
The blade hit a crane guy wire.

This helicopter crash did happen in real life—there's even footage on YouTube of it hitting the crane line, and falling right out of the sky, just like in the show.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2019, 16:35.

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 15:28 Cutter

PHJF wrote on May 16, 2019, 12:07:
Ionizing radiation damages electronic equipment. Components can be "hardened" to shield them from the effects, but I doubt such old soviet-era equipment was built for such a hostile environment.

Yes I know that much but that doesn't explain why the prop fell off. It looked like it almost disintegrated.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 15:16 jdreyer

As with any "based on true events" television or movie, I think it pays to remember that a certain amount of dramatic license is taken with the facts, timelines, persons involved, etc...;) Probably wouldn't be so riveting otherwise! The one fact I hazily recall from the disaster is that the Chernobyl reactor was of a type and design that both Europe and the US rejected as fundamentally flawed.

The Russians got the Soyuz booster rockets right--but had to fundamentally change their reactor designs--which has been done in the aftermath of Chernobyl. When it's done right, nuclear power is bullet-proof safe. It already supplies most of the power to the EU.

Even with safer designs like pebble bed reactors, you still haven't solved the nuclear waste problem.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Handstand Workout. In case you are not feeling inadequate. May 16, 2019, 14:15 jdreyer

Bill Borre wrote on May 16, 2019, 10:11:
If it had destroyed a huge chunk of the word that might not have been too bad as people talk too much anyway.
A rare grammatical mistake by Blue. That's just how flustered he got watching Chernobyl.

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 13:54 Cutter

Good interview with Stellan Skarsgard on the series....

Stellan Skarsgård on HBO’s ‘Chernobyl’ and Playing the Villain in Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Dune’

Can't wait to see Villeneuve's Dune either.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 13:49 Cutter

Rhialto wrote on May 16, 2019, 12:55:
Wait, what? Another documentary on Chernobyl? I want to see it, it's fascinating. Unfortunatly a tragedy but what is done is done and informations coming out of this afterward is kind of fascinating because we are all learning on so many aspects about radioactivity, etc.

I'm in Québec and wonder how I could watch it, some comments says it's from HBO? Do you think it's available on the web?

Are you being sarcastic? It's a docudrama from HBO.

Chernobyl

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 13:05 RedEye9

Rhialto wrote on May 16, 2019, 12:55:
Wait, what? Another documentary on Chernobyl? I want to see it, it's fascinating. Unfortunatly a tragedy but what is done is done and informations coming out of this afterward is kind of fascinating because we are all learning on so many aspects about radioactivity, etc.

I'm in Québec and wonder how I could watch it, some comments says it's from HBO? Do you think it's available on the web?
https://www.crave.ca/hbo

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 12:55 Rhialto

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 12:07 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo