Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Into the Black

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Into the Black May 16, 2019, 09:26 Cutter

PHJF wrote on May 16, 2019, 08:32:
Especially people that think nuclear is the solution to our baseload power issue as we phase out coal and natural gas plants.

Because it is, dude. Zero carbon emissions. 50% of the reason we aren't surrounded by nuclear power plants is public fear, and 50% is because the construction costs never came down.

And the waste? That's clean as a whistle too. Zero problems with that stuff, right?

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Into the Black May 16, 2019, 09:25 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2019, 05:28:
Cutter wrote on May 15, 2019, 22:17:
Yeah, everyone needs to watch Chernobyl. Simply amazing.

Especially people that think nuclear is the solution to our baseload power issue as we phase out coal and natural gas plants.

Humans make mistakes for all kinds of reasons: tiredness, confusion, greed, etc. etc. Screw up a windmill or solar panel: problem affects a radius of 10 or 100 feet. Screw up a nuke plant and that radius is 100 miles. Skull

Few things infuriate me as consistently as false advertising and/or "puffery" when they say something is "free". Or like when 'nukular' industry shills insist on calling it "clean" energy. I'm situated between 2 of them - about an hour away each way. And every few years they send out packs of iodine pills to 10's of thousands of households. Yeah, like that'll make all the difference in the event of a meltdown.

I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it but when Emily Watson and Jared Harris' characters explain what will happen if things go as bad as they estimate it's absolutely chilling to think what could have happened. And that threat is always there over us like the sword of Damocles.

8. Re: Into the Black May 16, 2019, 08:59 eRe4s3r

PHJF wrote on May 16, 2019, 08:32:

Because it is, dude. Zero carbon emissions. 50% of the reason we aren't surrounded by nuclear power plants is public fear, and 50% is because the construction costs never came down.

100% of it is because of public fear. And that fear isn't gonna disappear in Europe ever. And I think you don't understand where it comes from as American. My parents experienced Chernobyl in the GDR, they saw how sand was carted off from local playgrounds before the news even hit, they still have the iodine tablets that were given out for possible emergencies (at that point, GDR news did not talk about it at all, they heard about it from western news stations). If you want to sell me ANY nuclear fission power you can do that in your backyard at least 150km away from me.

That technology is so utterly dead to me that even zombies have a higher karma ranking to me than nuclear fission power.

7. Re: Into the Black May 16, 2019, 08:32 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Into the Black May 16, 2019, 05:28 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2019, 22:17:

Humans make mistakes for all kinds of reasons: tiredness, confusion, greed, etc. etc. Screw up a windmill or solar panel: problem affects a radius of 10 or 100 feet. Screw up a nuke plant and that radius is 100 miles. Skull

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2019, 05:27 jdreyer

Blue wrote on May 15, 2019, 20:42:
RedEye9 wrote on May 15, 2019, 20:38:
Watching episode 2 of Chernobyl is making me nauseous.

I hear you. I don't know if I've ever experienced such anxiety from a movie or TV series. I also cannot believe just how close we came to a far, far greater disaster.

Watched a documentary five or so years ago explaining the disaster and how bad it could have been. Crazy stuff.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

4. Re: Into the Black May 15, 2019, 22:17 Cutter

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2019, 20:52 Capella

What gets me is just how much some of them were in denial. "We need to get water running into the core. There is no core. Yes there is!" Just wow.  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2019, 20:42  Blue 

RedEye9 wrote on May 15, 2019, 20:38:

I hear you. I don't know if I've ever experienced such anxiety from a movie or TV series. I also cannot believe just how close we came to a far, far greater disaster.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Re: Into the Black May 15, 2019, 20:38 RedEye9

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo