Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Mobilization

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2019, 18:39 Task

Verno wrote on May 15, 2019, 15:24:
Task wrote on May 15, 2019, 13:25:
I've had no problems with the Pixel 2, perfectly fine phone. The only Google phone I had a problem with was the Nexus 5X which had a manufacturing defect with the heatsink paste on the ram or CPU, I forgot which, losing effectiveness very quickly causing it to overheat and damage the components essentially bricking it.

My Pixel XL 2 had one of those shitty P-OLED screens from LG and had burn-in going on in the first year. Pretty well documented problems. Some of them also made weird high pitched noises due to a placement issue with the NFC chip. The Nexus 5x was a trainwreck, again mostly LG sourced parts there. When Google was actually sourcing parts from Samsung it was a different ballgame.

In fact pretty much every Nexus I owned had some sort of major problem or flaw. When I was paying Galaxy Nexus type prices that wasn't a big deal but when they started charging iPhone prices and delivering Fisher-Price build quality I started to object

I should clarify I generally only go for the non XL versions, since I have no need for a phone screen that large, but it sucks you had to deal with that.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2019, 17:47 Creston

We're giving Pixel 3s to our Android crowd at work now. They've been... fine, I guess? Devs and such like them cause it's easy to sideload stuff onto them, and they prefer plain vanilla Android rather than the other varieties that come with tons of bloatware of them.

Hardware wise there doesn't seem to be that much difference.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2019, 15:43 Verno

I don't know man, the Pixel 3a XL looks like plastic trash to me and I would worry about the performance with the specs I'm reading. The screen is the only good part of it, the camera quality is more due to the software processing and you can sideload the APK easily enough on other phones.

I know OnePlus has a checkered software update history but they've been learning a lot with each iteration and their latest phone is fantastic at very reasonable prices. The camera gets pretty good marks too and they've tamped down OxygenOS to be very close to barebones Android. Hopefully at some point Android in general moves closer to a unified update model, this bullshit of waiting on carriers to update is ridiculous. One of the best things Apple did was enforce that shit.

Playing: Subnautica, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Spider-Man
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Peep Show

5. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2019, 15:39 jdreyer

If I were in the market for a new phone, the Pixel 3a XL looks pretty sweet. Sounds like they've had issues historically with build quality though.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2019, 15:24 Verno

I've had no problems with the Pixel 2, perfectly fine phone. The only Google phone I had a problem with was the Nexus 5X which had a manufacturing defect with the heatsink paste on the ram or CPU, I forgot which, losing effectiveness very quickly causing it to overheat and damage the components essentially bricking it.

My Pixel XL 2 had one of those shitty P-OLED screens from LG and had burn-in going on in the first year. Pretty well documented problems. Some of them also made weird high pitched noises due to a placement issue with the NFC chip. The Nexus 5x was a trainwreck, again mostly LG sourced parts there. When Google was actually sourcing parts from Samsung it was a different ballgame.

In fact pretty much every Nexus I owned had some sort of major problem or flaw. When I was paying Galaxy Nexus type prices that wasn't a big deal but when they started charging iPhone prices and delivering Fisher-Price build quality I started to object

3. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2019, 13:33 RedEye9

Did any of the class actions -or- warranty extensions etc. provide any relief.

“If the government is covering up knowledge of aliens, they are doing a better job of it than they do at anything else.”
- Stephen Hawking

2. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2019, 13:25 Task

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

1. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2019, 11:24 Verno

Hah sweet, I qualify for that! I gave up on Google's terrible phones awhile ago but this will be a nice little bonus.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo