Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Rage 2 Reviews

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 16, 2019, 11:28 Flo

Denuvo DRM is gone! Check your Steam patch.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 14, 2019, 10:38 Riahderymnmaddog

Great, another Anthem!

This comment was edited on May 14, 2019, 11:09.

43. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 14, 2019, 08:39 Burrito of Peace

Played it for a couple of hours last night and had a really good time. Combat mechanics are smooth and fun. The open world isn't stupidly stuffed full of pointless shit (looking at you AC here) but it is varied enough to not become a chore to drive around. It is certainly more populated and alive than Mad Max, which I consider Avalanche's best open world game to date.

The colors don't bother me in the slightest because I paid attention to all the trailers that were released prior to the game's release. It's post-apocalyptic in a batshit crazy environment and it lives up to that.

I dig it and that's all that matters to me.

Also, it runs crazy good on my 1660Ti at 1080p with everything maxed.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

42. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 14, 2019, 06:07 jdreyer

Timmeh wrote on May 13, 2019, 22:04:
jdreyer wrote on May 13, 2019, 20:51:
Timmeh wrote on May 13, 2019, 19:25:
This looks like total shit compared to the rage engine even with the texture issues it had at launch.

And whats with all the pink bullshit?

That both Timmeh and Walt brought up the color issue tickles me pink. Way to show your colors guys.

It just looks out of place.. It kills the world atmosphere. Post Apocalypse insanity is not a neon pink world. It just isn't.

Fair enough, but when Doom and Quake and their ilk were the biggest names in gaming, everyone complained they were all grays and greens and browns. Now that we get some color, complaints go the other way.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

41. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 14, 2019, 05:38 El Pit

Back from watching many gameplay videos, and I'm stoked for this game. I got dozens of games I want to play (out of 1,000 games I own on Steam, GoG, UPlay, and Origin) with hundreds of hours of gameplay waiting for me - but this is very, very much up my alley. I try not to buy now but wait for some ultimate/gold edition, but I might fall for this game.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

40. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 14, 2019, 01:47 Flo

Xero wrote on May 13, 2019, 17:38:
I thought this would be the standard between if I had to compare this and Far Cry New Dawn. Now I think Far Cry New Dawn could be the better of the two, granted I've yet to try this and probably won't until it hits bargain bin.

If anyone had some slight interest in this type of post apocalyptic world with lunatics wearing knee and elbow pads(lol), give New Dawn a shot. Especially with it's recent price drops/sales. I think I picked it up for 20 and it was totally worth it. The world was 10x more intriguing than Far Cry 5 and the added colors were not over done but felt natural and total eye candy when presented. One of the few, if not the only Far Cry game I beat (not counting the original).
I did pick up New Dawn and the gun play just didn't click for me. Rage 2 on the other hand satisfies my inner DOOM

39. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 14, 2019, 01:41 Flo

Played three hours last night and didn't want to stop. I was a bit surprised about the 6/10 from Gamespot but bought it anyway - glad I did. It's DOOM gunplay (sadly, no glory kills) plus Open World-very-light which is exactly the game I wanted. I hate the crowded maps of most open world games with its 10000+ markers for mundane tasks so YMMV. Performance is great for me on a 1080ti @ 2560x1080  

38. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 22:31 Kain

Creston wrote on May 13, 2019, 19:34:
Jagacademy wrote on May 13, 2019, 10:57:
"Fluid combat but the open world isn't worth investing your time into"

I was afraid of that. Another game where a half assed open world was throw in as an afterthought just to bait some extra sales.

Avalanche just seems to have no clue how to do an open world. They genuinely can't recapture how awesome JC2 was, no matter how much they try.

I'll pick this up on sale at some point.

The open world in JC2 was never that great to be honest. It was more the interaction with the environment that made it fun.

37. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 22:04 Timmeh

This looks like total shit compared to the rage engine even with the texture issues it had at launch.

That both Timmeh and Walt brought up the color issue tickles me pink. Way to show your colors guys.

It just looks out of place.. It kills the world atmosphere. Post Apocalypse insanity is not a neon pink world. It just isn't.

36. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 21:25 Beamer

CJ_Parker wrote on May 13, 2019, 11:10:
Beamer wrote on May 13, 2019, 10:44:
ForgedReality wrote on May 13, 2019, 10:19:
No thanks. Any game that has "review embargoes" is of no interest to me. Not at least until some real players review it, instead of paid shills.

Embargos don't mean shills. Not even sure how you'd expect that.

Well, the translation of a review embargo that ends a day before the release is:

Please give us favorable reviews in exchange for your right to publish early reviews (and if you want to receive keys before the release day in the future then make sure it is extra favorable).

Also, check out the Eurogamer link. They have received their review copy at the very last minute. Who knows when the other gigs got their copies? It could very well be that they also received the keys very late but still published their reviews just to have them out before tomorrow. Cuz clicks and ads.

Given the hype and regarding the fact that Bethesda apparently tried to "promote" positive reviews by setting that embargo as well as by possibly intentionally providing review keys rather late in time, I'd say that the reception is pretty damn lukewarm so far.

If I weren't intending to wait for the GOTY anyways then I'd take those scores as a huge caveat emptor. Sounds like the game is shallower than a puddle.

I also think that their product policy sucks. The already announced expansions reek of cut content. You only get the first expansion as a part of the deluxe version. The second one is apparently not included.
Seems pretty fishy. Looking at these reviews I have a suspicion that the base game has flashy gfx and solid combat but that they will add the actual content via the DLCs.

So, cya (maybe) at xmas sale 2020, Rage 2.

Early embargoes for good reviews are somewhat rare. And not necessarily a bad sign. If you were going to give a 9/10, the review isn't much an influence. Or a 6/10. It's more an issue for borderline cases.

But the opposite is true, too. I'm lucky enough to be at a point in which I'm interviewed a few times a month. I've learned there's a second day regression. First day stories are usually fair and balanced. Second day stories are always from a contrarian pov. It gets them the people that read the first day, as well as those that didn't. Good news is now bad. Bad news is now good. I imagine it happens with game reviews somewhat, too.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 21:23 RedEye9

One can never undervalue colorblindness.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

34. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 20:51 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

33. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 20:45 Acleacius

fawker wrote on May 13, 2019, 18:34:
you can buy a key for $10 off right now, from a many different key shops
I meant you could probably buy the game for $10 in about 10 days. /snarking

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

32. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 19:34 Creston

Jagacademy wrote on May 13, 2019, 10:57:
"Fluid combat but the open world isn't worth investing your time into"

I was afraid of that. Another game where a half assed open world was throw in as an afterthought just to bait some extra sales.

Avalanche just seems to have no clue how to do an open world. They genuinely can't recapture how awesome JC2 was, no matter how much they try.

I'll pick this up on sale at some point.

31. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 19:25 Timmeh

30. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 18:58 The Half Elf

Kain wrote on May 13, 2019, 15:28:
No worries, I was more concerned that I somehow missed out on Sony finally letting some of their exclusive PS4 games come to the PC

You are not missing much with Days Gone. Get a PS4 Pro/PS5 and play Horizon Zero Dawn, any of the PS3 Remasters, Spider-Man (Especially with the DLC) and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Currently playing: Red Dead Redemtion 2/Online, Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, and about 200 other games I've never fin

29. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 18:34 fawker

you can buy a key for $10 off right now, from a many different key shops  

28. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 18:09 Acleacius

Iirc, Steam Spring sale is in 10 days. I'm sure it will drop by then, maybe to $10. Mwahaha  

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

27. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 17:38 Xero

I thought this would be the standard between if I had to compare this and Far Cry New Dawn. Now I think Far Cry New Dawn could be the better of the two, granted I've yet to try this and probably won't until it hits bargain bin.

If anyone had some slight interest in this type of post apocalyptic world with lunatics wearing knee and elbow pads(lol), give New Dawn a shot. Especially with it's recent price drops/sales. I think I picked it up for 20 and it was totally worth it. The world was 10x more intriguing than Far Cry 5 and the added colors were not over done but felt natural and total eye candy when presented. One of the few, if not the only Far Cry game I beat (not counting the original).

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Turok 2, RE2

26. Re: Rage 2 Reviews May 13, 2019, 17:20 WaltC

Looks like I'm going to pass on this one--like I passed on the first one. Here's why:

I sort of liked the initial trailer because the people looked like real people, not the usual for id where most folks look like 300 lb. wrestlers quaffing lots of nitro before they keel from a heart attack, or a bullet, etc. --but in looking through these reviews I still see the same old "fat-slob" look to some of the npcs and characters. It's the id art style--it just doesn't appeal to me--never has, frankly. (Like the difference between DC and Marvel comics...I loved the Marvel art style as a boy--found DC's very sterile and bland--had a friend who preferred DC, go figure, eye of the beholder, etc.) Even some of the mutants almost have an "id software" stamp across their "faces"--at least--they do to me! It's like recycled stuff--even though I know it's not, really--it resembles it, and that's enough to put me off.

Then...there's my issue with the color pink used in the game, as seen in many of these screen shots. Uh, correction--hot pink, in this case. I know it's supposed to capture the "insanity" of all of this "Rage" I'm supposed to feel for some odd reason or other (General Cross is another escapee from the WWW wrestling association with the cliche' of a human wrestler's head on a robot/cyborg body!), but it makes me want to hurl, frankly--works the opposite of what it is intended to invoke.

Then there's the dreaded DRM copy protection. You know--if I was foolish enough to consider shelling out $60 for this game...I would change my mind simply because of that--I'm paying a publisher who doesn't trust me even after I've paid for his game ! Not interested!

Last--based on the publicity as to all the stuff they have planned to add to the game between now and December, it appears they've released the game six-months prematurely. Bad move--and the nature of the bugs revealed in several reviews backs this up, entirely.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo