Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Last night was the airing of penultimate episodes for two HBO series I follow closely, the second to last episode of season two of Barry and the set-up for the series finale of Game of Thrones. I won't spoil anything, but I have to express my surprise at myself that I think between the two I'm actually more caught up in what happens in Barry, as GoT seems like a fait accompli at this point. On the other hand, I suppose it's about how the story is being told, and not just about thinking I know what's going to happen. Otherwise I would not feel such anticipation about tonight's episode two of Chernobyl, right?

R.I.P.: Doris Day Dead at 97.

Anticipatory Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy) saying that GRRM has already finished book 6 and 7. Thanks GameSpot.
Stories: Japan begins testing its 248 mph next-gen bullet train.
Aaron Rodgers was in ‘Game of Thrones,’ but no one is really sure where.
Science: There is more CO2 in the atmosphere today than any point since the evolution of humans.
Biodiversity Has Intrinsic Value: A Response To The U.N. Extinction Report. Thanks RedEye9.
Iowa has confirmed multiple cases of a disease that can be transmitted from dogs to humans.
Media: Game of Thrones castmembers laughing, smirking or gritting their teeth when asked if they like the final season.
Inside a scam call center.
School Bus Driver Saves A Kid With Her Lightning-Quick Reflexes.
View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2019, 00:55 Kxmode

afka Rossini wrote on May 14, 2019, 00:35:
Jivaro wrote on May 13, 2019, 12:12:
I guess I am the only one who actually thought the GoT episode played out pretty much like I thought it would. If there is one thing that this show has been hammering is that everybody loses in war...I feel like the continued examples of a lack of happy endings is pretty Martinesque.

I thought this episode could go one of three ways and wasn't surprised at the choice they made. Visually it was quite a treat. Peter Dinklage was particularly good. Also the way the followed one of the main characters late in the episode was very well done.

The funniest thing I saw was -Spoiler- [Cersi doing the "I think I'll just mosey on out of here" at the start of the Clegane Bowl.]

Season 7 and 8 come from notes Martin assembled for a book he'll eventually finish. He pretty much gave us Daenerys' fate in the season 2 finale "Valar Morghulis," which comes from a completed book. She would NEVER sit on the iron throne. Further, she was going to turn mad for all to see because she was a pure-blood Targaryen. You couple that with Jon's resurrection and the many individuals placed in situations to assist the Stark children, and you begin to see that there's divine intervention going on in the show to make Jon king. In many ways it matches the vibe of The Return of The King; a reluctant Aragorn eventually becomes king and brings peace to the realm. So if that's how Game of Thrones goes out well, it'll be a nice ending. But this is GOT so until the final credits roll who knows. There's still the carving of a figure holding a wolf's head. Jon is the head of House Stark. So perhaps the final "send off" from Martin will be everyone dies and there's no such thing as happy endings.

Anyhow, it's been a thrill ride. I'm looking forward to the final episode and then onto Watchman (can't wait to see Jeremy Irons' performance as Adrian Veidt / Ozymandias).

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2019, 00:35 afka Rossini

Jivaro wrote on May 13, 2019, 12:12:
I guess I am the only one who actually thought the GoT episode played out pretty much like I thought it would. If there is one thing that this show has been hammering is that everybody loses in war...I feel like the continued examples of a lack of happy endings is pretty Martinesque.

I thought this episode could go one of three ways and wasn't surprised at the choice they made. Visually it was quite a treat. Peter Dinklage was particularly good. Also the way the followed one of the main characters late in the episode was very well done.

The funniest thing I saw was -Spoiler- [Cersi doing the "I think I'll just mosey on out of here" at the start of the Clegane Bowl.]

32. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2019, 00:30 Kxmode

Speaking of fait accompli this vision from season 2 episode 10's "Valar Morghulis" shows Daenerys walking through an ash-raining ash-covered ruins of the Iron Throne room. Basically this was fulfilled in the current episode.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 22:50 RedEye9

Damnit VEEP was dark, what a way to end a great series.

There is enough information in that 35 second scool bus video to teach a course on observational awareness. People see what they want to see.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 22:33 Kain

Capella wrote on May 13, 2019, 15:59:
Not only the best final episode ever but the greatest series ever for me was Six Feet Under.

That finale hit me hard, I don't think I've seen another show go out so well.

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 21:16 1badmf

wooo, blue droppin f-bombs. me likey XD

GoT is pretty much dead to me. this season of barry has been nothing short of brilliant. i highly recommend bingeing that when GoT is over to wash the taste of shitty writing out of your mouth.

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 20:00 Sepharo

Blue wrote on May 13, 2019, 19:51:
Sepharo wrote on May 13, 2019, 19:31:
bigspender wrote on May 13, 2019, 17:48:
School Bus Driver Saves A Kid With Her Lightning-Quick Reflexes

Who's idea is it to park the bus on a road and have the kids walk into a lane?

Surely they can park in the right most lane so the kids get out onto he sidewalk?

It's the shoulder, and passing a school bus loading/unloading is illegal on any side, especially in a non-lane... but yeah, that driver should have probably pulled over to the curb even if it is the shoulder.

Yeah, but if she pulled onto the shoulder, drivers would be even more emboldened to pass on the left in the lane. As we see in the clip, the kid she unloaded needed to cross in front of the bus and into that lane to cross the street.

Passing anyone on the shoulder is illegal. This is not the bus driver's fault. People just need to calm the fuck down around stopped school buses.

100% agreed.

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 19:51  Blue 

Sepharo wrote on May 13, 2019, 19:31:

Surely they can park in the right most lane so the kids get out onto he sidewalk?

It's the shoulder, and passing a school bus loading/unloading is illegal on any side, especially in a non-lane... but yeah, that driver should have probably pulled over to the curb even if it is the shoulder.

Yeah, but if she pulled onto the shoulder, drivers would be even more emboldened to pass on the left in the lane. As we see in the clip, the kid she unloaded needed to cross in front of the bus and into that lane to cross the street.

Passing anyone on the shoulder is illegal. This is not the bus driver's fault. People just need to calm the fuck down around stopped school buses.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 19:31 Sepharo

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 19:17 RedEye9

CO2 is fake news and plants need it to survive and cows need plants to make hamberders. so there  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 18:52 unaloony

Chernobyl, I'll check it out.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 17:48 bigspender

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 16:12 jdreyer

Simon Says wrote on May 13, 2019, 16:05:
jdreyer wrote on May 13, 2019, 15:11:
It's interesting that TV shows that design a single season as a full arc are quite satisfying. Season 1 of these shows were complete stories and pretty excellent: Heroes, True Blood, True Detective, Homeland, Russian Doll, and Umbrella Academy.

Same with The Magicians. I think Once Upon A Time did too. Decent fantasy series.

I've been meaning to check out The Magicians. Thanks for the reminder.

I tried Once Upon a Time, but couldn't make it through the first season. Not for me, I guess.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 16:05 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on May 13, 2019, 15:11:
It's interesting that TV shows that design a single season as a full arc are quite satisfying. Season 1 of these shows were complete stories and pretty excellent: Heroes, True Blood, True Detective, Homeland, Russian Doll, and Umbrella Academy.

Same with The Magicians. I think Once Upon A Time did too. Decent fantasy series.

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 15:59 Capella

Not only the best final episode ever but the greatest series ever for me was Six Feet Under.  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 15:39 Kain

Pigeon wrote on May 13, 2019, 13:40:
Pretty much, all the development undone by one or two scenes this season and I feel like this happened with most of the characters. It's not a matter of just not liking what happens, it's about how they got there. I never figured the ending would be a happy one, bitter sweet at the least and down right tragic the more likely, but I expected things to play out in a manner that was consistent. Right now I feel charcacters are just doing things because the plot demands it.

Yeah that's what is so frustrating. I don't think anyone expected happy endings or something silly like that. It's just the bizarre character actions, many going against established development that was painstakingly laid for several years. It feels more like they're just trying to land the plane and don't care anymore.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 15:15 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on May 13, 2019, 14:20:
Steele Johnson wrote on May 13, 2019, 12:28:
No one ever likes the final season/finale of any tv show.
Oh, I don't know about that... the final episode for the "Newhart" was pretty awesome -- and I believe it was widely seen that way.

Final episode of "Friends." Best episode ever. I was so happy it was finally off the air.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 15:11 jdreyer

Steele Johnson wrote on May 13, 2019, 12:28:
No one ever likes the final season/finale of any tv show.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 15:01 jdreyer

Blue wrote on May 13, 2019, 11:03:
ForgedReality wrote on May 13, 2019, 10:27:
RE: School Bus Driver Saves A Kid With Her Lightning-Quick Reflexes

I saw this video a few days ago, and I can't figure out how this even happened. Can someone explain to me how the fuck the door on the bus is opening to traffic? How is there even a car there? It doesn't make sense. Doesn't LOOK like the car was driving on the sidewalk, soooo...

Looks to me like the car was on the shoulder. Also, it shouldn't matter. The law in the U.S. is traffic in both directions has to stop for a stopped school bus with its lights flashing.

Yup, I remember several times as a kid when the bus stopped to let someone off and some asshole decided to go around. The bus driver took down the plate number every time. IIRC it was a several hundred dollar ticket and several license points. There was also this one time where there was a cop literally right in front of the bus when the jerk decided he couldn't wait and got instant karma.

Our robot chauffeur overlords can't come soon enough.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 14:58 jdreyer

Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy) saying that GRRM has already finished book 6 and 7 100 games of Civ on King level.

Fixed that for ya, Ian.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >