Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Op Ed

GamesIndustry.biz - Valve Index asks for innovation without incentive.
"But cool technology comes at a cost, and not just a hefty price tag. In presenting the headset to the press, Valve representatives outlined three core pillars they felt were necessary for VR's success as an industry. High fidelity, which I've already mentioned, was one. The other two were low friction and affordability. And then, in one of the strangest pitches I've witnessed, Valve told us that the remaining two pillars of low friction and affordability were problems for another day and not what the company was concerning itself with for the Valve Index."

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2019, 01:52 Razumen

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 11, 2019, 22:21:
You guys commenting that there's no killer applications for VR have never played Elite dangerous, dirt rally or any cockpit/drivers seat game in VR.. it's amazing

Or Gorn, or Blade & Sorcery, or Beat Saber, or Pavlov, or I can continue. These are all "killer" apps and have made my Vive purchase more than worth it. You don't need AAA games for fun VR experiences.

But then again, seeing Cutter call the Index "shit" shows how closeminded people here are. There's nothing shit about it, it is a marked upgrade from the Vive Pro with better screens up to 144Hz(!) and a higher FOV. Not to mention the controllers. Foveated rendering is cool, but it's not "necessary" for an enjoyable VR experience. Wireless is more important, but it would drive the price up even higher. Just look at Vive's wireless adaptor.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2019, 02:16 jdreyer

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 11, 2019, 22:21:
You guys commenting that there's no killer applications for VR have never played Elite dangerous, dirt rally or any cockpit/drivers seat game in VR.. it's amazing

Yeah, E:D and DCS are amazing.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

9. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2019, 22:21 Tipsy McStagger

8. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2019, 15:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2019, 23:12:

And there's always rich early adopters but moving a few hundred or a few thousand units ain't gonna' cut it. I still maintain the major problem with VR is there's no real reason to use it. Not that there couldn't be, there just isn't right now.

This is unfortunately the case. I don't know of any killer games that are VR only and available, or even upcoming ones. Maybe that Starfleet bridge(of the spaceship, not cards) game? Probably too niche to even matter.

Until then, keep buying VR headsets, people! I'll get in on the action in about 3-4 versions or so.

*EDIT* That said, Valve isn't wrong per se, they have the money to burn on VR endeavors and probably are just hoping to keep VR development moving along, betting on the future.

7. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2019, 14:26 jacobvandy

Goldeneye on N64 had the dual-stick, dual-trigger FPS control scheme in '97. It just required you hold two of those controllers.  

6. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2019, 09:42 HoSpanky

Cutter: I agree, thereís no killer app for VR yet. Thereís certainly some amazing stuff, but no oneís cracked the perfect control scheme. Keep in mind it took like a decade for there to be a GOOD FPS control scheme for consoles. Halo set the standard that is still largely unchanged today.

Jdreyer: the Indexís screen specs arenít markedly better, but the lighthouse tracking system and the knuckles controllers ARE. $1000 is a steep asking price for something that doesnít have the two highest-anticipated features: wireless and foveated rendering. Was hoping for at least ONE of those. Iím assuming that once the initial demand dies down and they have extra units, that price will come down.

I think Valve simply set out to make the best first-gen headset possible. Until we get wireless and eye tracking+foveation, it wonít matter what resolution or FOV a headset has, itíll still be first gen. I doubt itíll quite escape the niche market for quite a while; the cost just canít be subsidized enough to get high end VR to ďthe massesĒ. But then, motorcycles never got out of being a niche thing and there are a lot of successful companies in that field. Same with sail/motor boats. The catch, of course, is without mass adoption, big companies wonít invest nearly as much money in developing for it.

There are things like Boneworks and that Unity VR devkit that are working toward making development easier, but the risk/reward isnít really worth it for companies who depend on that income to survive. So we get passion projects, which are generally small in scope.

Maybe Valveís VR games will set the world on fire. The Lab was and still is a benchmark for what VR can accomplish.

5. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2019, 00:01 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on May 10, 2019, 23:54:
jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2019, 22:36:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 10, 2019, 21:17:
And then, in one of the strangest pitches I've witnessed, Valve told us that the remaining two pillars of low friction and affordability were problems for another day and not what the company was concerning itself with for the Valve Index.

That makes two of us, Valve. I'm not "concerning myself" with your overpriced garbage HMD either. Try harder next time.

And yet they sold out the first batch in 30 minutes.

No one knows how large the first batch was and I bet that the majority of the kits was bought by professional resellers to resell the Index at a higher price in their countries of origin. The Index is technically limited to one sale per account but it's easy to work around that limitation for professional resellers with helpers.

It is obvious that Valve put a low limit on the first batch. If you visit the Index page now you can "reserve" a spot in line and Valve will e-mail you once the HMDs are back in stock.
Thereby they are effectively forcing interested parties to wishlist the Index which is a smart sales tactics to gauge future demand.

Personally, I have no idea why anyone would buy that piece of shit. It is a very weak product at that price.

Yeah, it's not markedly better than my Samsung Odyssey that I paid $300 for.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

4. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2019, 23:54 CJ_Parker

And then, in one of the strangest pitches I've witnessed, Valve told us that the remaining two pillars of low friction and affordability were problems for another day and not what the company was concerning itself with for the Valve Index.

That makes two of us, Valve. I'm not "concerning myself" with your overpriced garbage HMD either. Try harder next time.

No one knows how large the first batch was and I bet that the majority of the kits was bought by professional resellers to resell the Index at a higher price in their countries of origin. The Index is technically limited to one sale per account but it's easy to work around that limitation for professional resellers with helpers.

It is obvious that Valve put a low limit on the first batch. If you visit the Index page now you can "reserve" a spot in line and Valve will e-mail you once the HMDs are back in stock.
Thereby they are effectively forcing interested parties to wishlist the Index which is a smart sales tactics to gauge future demand.

Personally, I have no idea why anyone would buy that piece of shit. It is a very weak product at that price.

3. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2019, 23:12 Cutter

And there's always rich early adopters but moving a few hundred or a few thousand units ain't gonna' cut it. I still maintain the major problem with VR is there's no real reason to use it. Not that there couldn't be, there just isn't right now.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

2. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2019, 22:36 jdreyer

1. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2019, 21:17 CJ_Parker

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo