Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive

The Epic Games Store now offers preorders of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Ubisoft's just-announced military shooter sequel. This reveals an increasing familiar scenario where the game will be exclusive to Epic's store and Uplay. PCGamesN has a confirmation of this from Ubisoft, noting it isn't a huge surprise following how Ubisoft stopped selling Anno 1800 and The Division 2 on Steam to make both games EGS exclusives. The standard edition of Breakpoint is listed at $59.99 USD, so consumers are yet to see any trickle down benefit from the discounted royalty structure that's behind such exclusives.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 13, 2019, 16:03 Kxmode

chickenboo wrote on May 13, 2019, 15:42:
I don't want a portion of the payment for the game I buy going to Epic and EGS. I'd sooner buy it directly from UPlay, which may be their side-goal. I'd still prefer to have a Steam key or a GOG key.

Maybe I am a bit of the 'Steam KoolAid sipper' in that I prefer their platform for reasons beyond loving my Steam Controller and Steam Link and my library of games on their service. I guess I have a soft spot for Valve and have enjoyed watching the platform progress and improve. Sure, I hated it at first same as everyone else. Invasion of privacy, forced to online-check my key over and over again, etc. Now I like Steam and Valve cause I have a bit of an emotional attachment to their service, and I'm not ready to switch to EGS because they offered a cool two million bucks to a publisher for exclusive sales rights. The whole idea though is to strengthen the EGS brand and store and Epic's approach so far is simply lock as many titles to their service as they can. This isn't competitive for consumers, it's competitive for publishers. EGS knows it can't compete with Steam without using exclusivity, and it's really lame that it's come to this.

So yeah I'm feeling a little petty and I won't be buying games from Epic or EGS even when it's a game I kinda want. I refuse to reward their exclusive contracts with my wallet to get access to a title, that's simply approving of their approach and I won't do it. Heck I haven't even visited their website or store a single time yet - no reason to!

Agreed.

Beyond that I think it's more about not strong-arming consumers into buying on an inferior platform because that's the only place to buy the game. At least that's how exclusivity works today for third-party publishers like Deep Silver who don't have a platform of their own. For publishers with established platforms like GOG Galaxy, UPlay, Battle.net, and Origin with YEARS of continuous improvements they are superior platforms. In other words, if games are going to fragment, would rather they do so on platforms that are better than EGS. Today Epic Games Store is woefully out of sync with the standards established by today's platforms. Until they get their trash up to standards, Epic is in NO position to make anything exclusive to their platform regardless of how much money they have from Fortnite. Third-party publishers need to think about that fact before they go exclusive seriously. I'm not buying any games on Epic's "broken" platform until it is on par with the established ones. And even when that happens, I likely won't do it because of the anti-consumer crap to astroturf their customer base.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 13, 2019, 15:42 chickenboo

I don't want a portion of the payment for the game I buy going to Epic and EGS. I'd sooner buy it directly from UPlay, which may be their side-goal. I'd still prefer to have a Steam key or a GOG key.

Maybe I am a bit of the 'Steam KoolAid sipper' in that I prefer their platform for reasons beyond loving my Steam Controller and Steam Link and my library of games on their service. I guess I have a soft spot for Valve and have enjoyed watching the platform progress and improve. Sure, I hated it at first same as everyone else. Invasion of privacy, forced to online-check my key over and over again, etc. Now I like Steam and Valve cause I have a bit of an emotional attachment to their service, and I'm not ready to switch to EGS because they offered a cool two million bucks to a publisher for exclusive sales rights. The whole idea though is to strengthen the EGS brand and store and Epic's approach so far is simply lock as many titles to their service as they can. This isn't competitive for consumers, it's competitive for publishers. EGS knows it can't compete with Steam without using exclusivity, and it's really lame that it's come to this.

So yeah I'm feeling a little petty and I won't be buying games from Epic or EGS even when it's a game I kinda want. I refuse to reward their exclusive contracts with my wallet to get access to a title, that's simply approving of their approach and I won't do it. Heck I haven't even visited their website or store a single time yet - no reason to!

47. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 11, 2019, 16:41 Kxmode

Steele Johnson wrote on May 11, 2019, 13:08:
I'd rather support Epic than continuing my support for Gabe’s type 2 diabetes.

Jonjonz wrote on May 11, 2019, 06:34:
Ha ha, you just lost my purchase Ubi.

I wrote twice in this thread that the game isn't exclusive on EGS. It can be purchased from UPlay which is a far superior platform than EGS and one I highly recommend.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

46. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 11, 2019, 13:08 Steele Johnson

I’ll be picking this one up the day it’s released. I loved Wildlands and this seems like a more polished version of it. I couldn’t care less which window the download button is on. In fact, I’d rather support Epic than continuing my support for Gabe’s type 2 diabetes. Heath insurance costs are already too high in the States.  

"The hardest thing to do is to be true to yourself, especially when everybody is watching." - Dave Chappelle

45. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 11, 2019, 10:34 StingingVelvet

With something like Borderlands 3 and the lacking online features on the EGS, I get the hate. But I don't see why this matters? It'll be on Uplay, and Steam was always just a silly launcher for Uplay with Ubisoft games anyway. Just buy this on Uplay and there's literally zero difference except for also having to have Steam running, but it not really doing anything.  

44. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 11, 2019, 06:34 Jonjonz

Ha ha, you just lost my purchase Ubi.  

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

43. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 11, 2019, 01:23 Avus

After my last Windows (re)installation, I didn't bother to reinstall EA Origin because none of their "full priced early access games" got my interest. And I still haven't reinstall UPlay because the toxicity/tk in R6 Siege made me lost interest. I really don't mind I have two less game clients to install if EGS are pulling them away from me...  

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

42. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 22:18 <Electric-Spock>

Opinions are a dime a dozen but here goes …

Regardless of the current short term shenanigans, Tencent is a 40% shareholder of Epic. Mr. Sweeney has stated they have no influence on the decision making. However, someone owning that much of your company has leverage, and when the Fortnite money printing press starts its decline, who do you think buys them out? Epic isn't even in the same league in regards to company value.

Mr. Sweeney will be fine, and will be well set and very wealthy regardless of how this plays out. However, this conversation seems like it should be Tencent vs Valve, as I doubt Epic controls the reigns of this situation long term. And when speaking of who you would rather see succeed T vs V, I believe you go with Valve for a Myriad of reasons.

41. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 20:52 Kxmode

None of Ubisoft's upcoming games are truly exclusive. You can buy them on UPlay which is a far superior platform than EGS.  

40. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 19:41 Quinn

Acleacius wrote on May 10, 2019, 13:11:
I got no problems skipping this or other ubi games.

General hate for Ubi huh? Have you played Assassin's Creed Odessey? That game is phenomenal. Division 2? Knows what it is and does it well. Ubisoft games are like Netflix Originals: they play it safe but do it well, most of the time.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

39. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 19:17 Kxmode

Flatline wrote on May 10, 2019, 18:27:
Oh wonderful this is great news! I had some smores I needed to cook over an open fire and this thread will do *nicely*.

I haven't read the thread yet. Has anyone compared Epic unfavorably to literal Nazis yet?

No. But you have. Congrats on invoking Godwin's Rule on a 2-page thread.

/endthread

38. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 18:27 Flatline

Oh wonderful this is great news! I had some smores I needed to cook over an open fire and this thread will do *nicely*.

I haven't read the thread yet. Has anyone compared Epic unfavorably to literal Nazis yet?

37. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 16:56 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on May 10, 2019, 11:34:
Bill Borre wrote on May 10, 2019, 10:58:
consumers are yet to see any trickle down benefit from the discounted royalty structure that's behind such exclusives

Nor will they.

Only if you assume the only benefit is reduced prices. Which, for some reason, many people do think that's the only possible benefit. Probably because it's the easiest to see. Doesn't mean other benefits won't show up.

More revenue for devs means fewer devs going out of business, and more games. That sounds good to me.

And yes, I understand that C-execs take a lot of that, but there's still more there to prevent shops from going bankrupt.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

36. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 16:40 jdreyer

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on May 10, 2019, 10:52:
I guess, but why? Ubisoft has their own storefront? Is Walmart going to start selling exclusive cookware at Target next?

If Target throws them a few $mil they will.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

35. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 16:31 Riahderymnmaddog

Wallshadows wrote on May 10, 2019, 16:09:
I guess, but why? Ubisoft has their own storefront? Is Walmart going to start selling exclusive cookware at Target next?

My first taste of the Epic Store was when I bought The Division 2. I installed it from the Epic Store and went through the hoops of signing in to the Ubisoft client only to be given the option to install the game rather than play it. Even when I directed the installer to the folder which had the install from the Epic Store it failed to recognize it as would be the case with Steam.

Had to install it a second time from the Ubisoft client and the game is something like 45GB. If this was on my old connection it would have taken me several days and I'm sure there were a bunch who did have to take a bite out of that turd sandwich.

I don't know if this is just an Epic issue though since that was the first time I bought and booted up a Ubisoft game in a long time. Was a aggravating lesson to be learned in any case.

Well the Division 2 did have a 48-52 gigabyte day one patch. Title update 1. IDK, I got the Division 2 through Uplay, and didn't install it until a day or two after it was released.

34. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 16:09 Wallshadows

My first taste of the Epic Store was when I bought The Division 2. I installed it from the Epic Store and went through the hoops of signing in to the Ubisoft client only to be given the option to install the game rather than play it. Even when I directed the installer to the folder which had the install from the Epic Store it failed to recognize it as would be the case with Steam.

Had to install it a second time from the Ubisoft client and the game is something like 45GB. If this was on my old connection it would have taken me several days and I'm sure there were a bunch who did have to take a bite out of that turd sandwich.

I don't know if this is just an Epic issue though since that was the first time I bought and booted up a Ubisoft game in a long time. Was a aggravating lesson to be learned in any case.

33. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 15:57 Riahderymnmaddog

jacobvandy wrote on May 10, 2019, 11:35:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on May 10, 2019, 11:13:
dajunka wrote on May 10, 2019, 10:59:
I know choosing Epic as a outlet was a clever trick to get people to buy from U-play direct, but they really should stay clear of Epic. It does noting but harm to a reputation they have been trying to build up over the years.
Touch Epic and forever smell of s***.

well if they sold it on the Uplay you would have a point...

It's all over the front page of store.ubi.com... This game is not EGS exclusive, it's just paid Steam exclusion.

"Ubisoft has confirmed to us that the upcoming Ghost Recon Breakpoint will be an Epic Games Store exclusive."

IDK man, when I checked this morning only a physical version was available on Uplay for $189 and when I went to preorder I was redirected to EPIC store. Now there is an option to purchase from Uplay as well.. One thing I do know, is that it sure as fuck isn't an EPIC store exclusive if it is offered elsewhere. I was confused why Ubisoft would make it an exclusive when they have their own store.

32. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 15:06 OpticNerve

Ultimately, I don't think that this matters much in the end. AFAIK, when you buy a recent'ish Ubisoft game from Steam and launch it from there, it'll also launch a modified version of the UPlay client just to run the game. BUT since the game is forever tied to Steam, it will ALSO launch Steam if you try to run the game just from the UPlay client alone.

I don't see Ubisoft changing this for EGS so regardless of if you buy an Ubisoft game from Steam or EGS, you're just adding another needless client that has to be run just to play an Ubisoft game that needs the UPlay client anyway.

Unless the game has a deep discount from that platform, just buy the damn game from UPlay and save yourself some headaches.

31. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 14:34 Rhett

El Pit wrote on May 10, 2019, 13:58:
Ubi will lock out third party key sellers. IIRC it was reported here on Blue's just a little while ago, too, but I cannot find the news.

Oh, yeah, it's been like that for a while on Green Man Gaming. It's just that since Epic came onto the scene, anything that is "exclusive" to Epic (even if it's on UPlay) has been either out of stock, or had no discount when normally games have a 10-20% discount before launch.

Anno 1800 and The Division 2 are both out of stock on GMG, for example. So either some kind of agreement was made with Epic to keep sales outside of those two companies to a minimum (sales ended on the day of release on 3rd party), or Ubisoft straight wants a bigger cut?

Borderlands 3 also doesn't have a discount anywhere (unrelated dev though).

30. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 14:27 Muscular Beaver

I had an aversion to Ubisoft before due to UPlay. However I bought one or 2 on Steam. Now they can be sure I wont buy anything on the Epic Store from them.  

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo