Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

We caught up with the first episode of Chernobyl on HBO and wow, is that intense. It may seem that knowing the general outcome of the disaster would prevent this from being that interesting, but they make this work well for how the story unfolds as you start out with a greater understanding of what's at stake at first than most of those involved. That, combined with all that's at stake makes it all incredibly gripping. I have to agree a sentiment I saw expressed in our forums that I wish the whole thing was available right off to binge. If you haven't seen it yet, here's the official trailer for the series. Now please excuse me, I want to hunt down some iodine pills.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Bomb Frog.
Forgotten Hill Memento: Love Beyond.
Links: Star Wars Fan Film is a Badass Update to the Vader-Obi-Wan Duel. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Stories: Australia's A$50 note misspells responsibility - BBC News
Three Mile Island Nuclear Plant To Close, Latest Symbol Of Struggling Industry. Thanks Slashdot.
The Stoner as Gym Rat. Thanks j.c.f.
Science: Could There Be Life on Mars Today? Oh man, look at those cavemen go.
You can still get the plague. Thanks RedEye9.
Genetically Tweaked Viruses Just Saved a Very Sick Teen.
The Universe Probably 'Remembers' Every Single Gravitational Wave.
Media: Rectix: SNL.
How a Fire Sprinkler Works at 100,000fps - The Slow Mo Guys. Thanks Hypothermia.
The mountain town at the heart of time. Thanks RedEye9.
Auctions: Auction: Apollo 11 lunar landing manual that flew to the moon and back.
Follow-up: Kentucky teen who sued over school ban for refusing chickenpox vaccination now has chickenpox. Thanks Kxmode.
Denver Just Became the First U.S. City to Decriminalize Psychedelic Mushrooms. Thanks Slashdot.
The Funnies: Before the Internet Cartoon - Savage Chickens.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2019, 19:02 RedEye9

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2011/apr/26/chernobyl-nuclear-disaster-in-pictures
Good pics of the disaster

Filmmaker John Waters advice for elders: "Whenever any magazine says, 'What photographer do you want to shoot you?' I always just say, 'The one that has the biggest retouch budget!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. removed May 10, 2019, 14:57 Beamer

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 10, 2019, 18:16.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. removed May 10, 2019, 13:54 RedEye9

* REMOVED *

Filmmaker John Waters advice for elders: "Whenever any magazine says, 'What photographer do you want to shoot you?' I always just say, 'The one that has the biggest retouch budget!

25. removed May 10, 2019, 13:43 jdreyer

* REMOVED *

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

24. removed May 10, 2019, 12:44 D-Rock

* REMOVED *

23. removed May 10, 2019, 12:22 Beamer

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 10, 2019, 18:15.

-------------

22. removed May 10, 2019, 12:04 D-Rock

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 10, 2019, 18:15.

21. Re: gubment coverups are the best coverup May 10, 2019, 11:41 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on May 10, 2019, 11:33:
Simon Says wrote on May 10, 2019, 09:59:
1badmf wrote on May 9, 2019, 21:32:
RedEye9 wrote on May 9, 2019, 11:15:
I don't think intense even begins to describe that first episode.
Those firefighters are dead (I was yelling "Don't touch the core you big dummy" at one of them), the helicopter pilots who flew over the core to drop concrete are dead, all the power plant workers who were sent around the plant to "fix" things are dead.
happy happy joy joy
anybody else went and read the wikipedia after? i did. let's just say, this gets MORE intense later. i find it enlightening to see how the soviet system of nepotism and blame shifting basically fucked the disaster response since no one wanted to take any responsibility for it until the truth hit them in the face literally like a nuclear bomb. until then, the response was piece-meal and entirely inadequate and probably cost many hundreds if not thousand of unnecessary deaths.

In reality, there were only a few dozen direct and indirect deaths from Chernobyl, around 30... Shocking I know. Didn't you read that part of the wikipedia page?

Actually, in 2008, they confirmed 64 deaths due to radation. Indirect deaths are hotly debated, but expected to ultimately tally somewhere between 4,000 and 20,000.

All of which is in the Wikipedia page.
Beamer can not only read but he can also think.
shocking, I know

20. Re: gubment coverups are the best coverup May 10, 2019, 11:33 Beamer

Simon Says wrote on May 10, 2019, 09:59:
Those firefighters are dead (I was yelling "Don't touch the core you big dummy" at one of them), the helicopter pilots who flew over the core to drop concrete are dead, all the power plant workers who were sent around the plant to "fix" things are dead.
happy happy joy joy
anybody else went and read the wikipedia after? i did. let's just say, this gets MORE intense later. i find it enlightening to see how the soviet system of nepotism and blame shifting basically fucked the disaster response since no one wanted to take any responsibility for it until the truth hit them in the face literally like a nuclear bomb. until then, the response was piece-meal and entirely inadequate and probably cost many hundreds if not thousand of unnecessary deaths.

In reality, there were only a few dozen direct and indirect deaths from Chernobyl, around 30... Shocking I know. Didn't you read that part of the wikipedia page?

Actually, in 2008, they confirmed 64 deaths due to radation. Indirect deaths are hotly debated, but expected to ultimately tally somewhere between 4,000 and 20,000.

All of which is in the Wikipedia page.

-------------

19. Re: gubment coverups are the best coverup May 10, 2019, 09:59 Simon Says

happy happy joy joy

18. Re: gubment coverups are the best coverup May 9, 2019, 21:32 1badmf

happy happy joy joy

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2019, 21:11 Acleacius

RedEye9 wrote on May 9, 2019, 20:16:
Acleacius wrote on May 9, 2019, 19:36:
Not to step on Chernobyl but Lucifer season 4 is probably the best season yet. It's Netflix's first shot at Lucifer after getting it from fox. Lighter
I'd given up mid season 3. I'll try season 4. thanks
I know what you mean, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch season 3 again. Wall2

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2019, 20:52 subx

El Pit wrote on May 9, 2019, 16:28:
That Ben Kenobi vs. Darth Vader duel easily beats the sequel trilogy fights and even the too artistic fights of the prequel trilogy in my opinion.

Ugh, it was like special edition George was back again for some more fuckery. Really illustrates one of the areas the prequels went wrong. And the less said about the editing the better.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2019, 20:16 RedEye9

Acleacius wrote on May 9, 2019, 19:36:
Not to step on Chernobyl but Lucifer season 4 is probably the best season yet. It's Netflix's first shot at Lucifer after getting it from fox. Lighter
I'd given up mid season 3. I'll try season 4. thanks

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2019, 20:13 Mr. Tact

Well done Australia!  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2019, 20:04 jdreyer

VoodooV wrote on May 9, 2019, 14:32:
I'm not getting a easily preventable disease, I'm building character

You both want to eat some bacon.

You go to the store and buy bacon (vaccine).

He buys a piglet, raises it, slaughters it, butchers it, and cures the bacon.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2019, 19:36 Acleacius

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2019, 17:55 RedEye9

Jivaro wrote on May 9, 2019, 16:48:

I like that. lol

alternatively: "Chicken pox will put hair on your chest!"
Polio increases iron lung sales.
Beware the photo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox
Smallpox decreases makeup costs in GoT scenes that have actors with grayscale.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2019, 16:48 Jivaro

I like that. lol

alternatively: "Chicken pox will put hair on your chest!"

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2019, 16:28 El Pit

That Ben Kenobi vs. Darth Vader duel easily beats the sequel trilogy fights and even the too artistic fights of the prequel trilogy in my opinion. Great work by real fans!
See this and cry, Darth Mouse - this is what Star Wars should look and feel like.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo