The Elder Scrolls Tabletop Module Pulled Amid Plagiarism Accusations

A tweet and a Facebook post from The Elder Scrolls Online says that a previously released tabletop Elsweyr module is currently no longer being offered. Here's word from the tweet: "We have pulled a previously shared ESO tabletop RPG adventure while we investigate the source. Thank you to those who reached out with concerns." Ars Technica fills in some of the missing details, saying it was discovered that this bears too much of a resemblance to The Black Road, a Dungeons & Dragons module released in 2016. As an example, they show that introduction to the Elsweyr module is basically a re-write of the intro from The Black Road. They also note a number of gameplay similarities and offer some insights into the legal issues this all presents.
View : : :
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: The Elder Scrolls Tabletop Module Pulled Amid Plagiarism Accusations
May 8, 2019, 22:55
Re: The Elder Scrolls Tabletop Module Pulled Amid Plagiarism Accusations May 8, 2019, 22:55
May 8, 2019, 22:55

"Nogoodery" is my new favorite word.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
May 8, 2019, 21:33
JTW
Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 8, 2019, 21:33
May 8, 2019, 21:33
JTW

Bethesda doesn't write pen-and-paper products. They can't be expected to know the contents of every digitally published product from the past decade. Nor is it likely that they have experienced adventure authors in-house.

Most likely they hired an author to write it, and that author tried to get away with nogoodery.

May 8, 2019, 20:12
Re: The Elder Scrolls Tabletop Module Pulled Amid Plagiarism Accusations May 8, 2019, 20:12
May 8, 2019, 20:12

"We are investigating how this happened!"

Because you signed off on it, you fucking lying bastards.

May 8, 2019, 19:19
Re: The Elder Scrolls Tabletop Module Pulled Amid Plagiarism Accusations May 8, 2019, 19:19
May 8, 2019, 19:19

I don't know why anyone would even make the attempt in this day and age. You're going to get caught.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

May 8, 2019, 19:13
Re: The Elder Scrolls Tabletop Module Pulled Amid Plagiarism Accusations May 8, 2019, 19:13
May 8, 2019, 19:13

When I first heard about this, I expected a module with similar themes and was was therefore willing to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt. I mean, in sword-n-sorcery fantasy, its easy to have similar-sounding adventures; the whole genre is practically a cliche by this time.

Then I read the examples and - wow - that is some blatant plagiarism. The author copied the entire adventure, and then went through it to change some details, both to fit the Elder Scrolls setting and (in a not too successful) attempt to disguise his malfeasance. Honestly, it looks as if it took as much work to create the plagiarized work as it would have to create something entirely new, despite the fact that despite all that effort it's still very obvious that the adventure was copied. Talk about doing stuff the hard way.

I'd love to learn more about this story. I can't imagine this was anything done intentionally by Bethesda; either they foisted the job on a single untrustworthy (and now certainly fired) employee, or hired the job out to some contractor. Either way, that person is going to have a black mark next to the name for years to come.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older