Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

EA Financials

Electronic Arts Reports Q4 and Full Year FY19 Financial Results are now online. It seems pretty safe to assume fiscal 2019 didn't go exactly as they hoped by how they jump right into the discussion of what to expect in their fiscal 2020:

FY20 will be a year of continued growth for our industry, and were excited to bring more great entertainment to the expanding audience around the world, said CEO Andrew Wilson. Players are engaging with games in more ways than ever before. Were committed to meeting them where they are with a broad portfolio of amazing new games and live services, choice of engagement models including free-to-play and subscriptions, and new opportunities to play, compete and watch.

We ended our fiscal year with strong growth, driven by our live services business which continued to provide a very large, stable and profitable source of net bookings, said COO and CFO Blake Jorgensen. Looking ahead, we will bring games to an extraordinary variety of players in fiscal 2020 and deliver on our commitment to players with deep live services content for Ultimate Team, Apex Legends, The Sims 4, Anthem and Battlefield V.

Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics

• Digital net bookings* for the trailing twelve months was $3.722 billion, up 5% year-over-year and represents 75% of total net bookings.
  • During the quarter, launched two new original IP titles, Apex LegendsTM and AnthemTM.
  • During the quarter, launched Firestorm battle royale in Battlefield TM V, the biggest BattlefieldTM live service event ever.
  • In FY19, more than 45 million unique players engaged in FIFA 19 and FIFA 18 on console and PC.
  • In FY19, active players in The Sims TM 4 increased by 35% year-over-year.

* Net bookings is defined as the net amount of products and services sold digitally or sold-in physically in the period. Net bookings is calculated by adding total net revenue to the change in deferred net revenue for online-enabled games and, for periods after the fourth quarter of fiscal 2018, mobile platform fees.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: EA Financials May 9, 2019, 16:41 christheshitter

CJ_Parker wrote on May 8, 2019, 14:25:
Creston wrote on May 8, 2019, 08:13:
All this live services shit, I'll buy in two years when it maybe finally looks like an actual game.

That is exactly the way to go. I'm not even advocating full boycotts but anyone who is against GaaS and who wants to send publishers a message needs to vote with their wallets by buying bundled (GOTY/Gold/Definitive/whatever) or at least substantially more complete versions of a game.

It's the only power we have to let them know that it's not cool to release what is effectively a beta that can be continuously tinkered with as they please for many months or years even.

I couldn't agree more. To much gullible and stupid people on Blue nowadays that preorders and pays for this shit. It's sad!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 17:51 Riahderymnmaddog

Steele Johnson wrote on May 7, 2019, 23:38:
I love all that bs hot air. EA is not doing well at all. I guarantee that their operating costs are higher than their quarterly revenue

And you would be wrong

25. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 16:18 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on May 8, 2019, 11:08:
Creston wrote on May 7, 2019, 22:50:
You're not wrong, but on the flipside, there's not that much else being made anymore, is there? The entire gaming industry has now gone towards this model.

That's not true, what could be true is those games that haven't aren't of interest to you. I don't know what everyone considers GaaS, but DLC and MicroTrans, all three are different to me and GaaS doesn't have to be bad. I've played what I feel are a lot of big publisher games in the past two years and had fun with almost all of them and most I wouldn't consider GaaS. Anthem cut you deep.

Yeah it's probably way too much hyperbole to say that everything is going there. Now that I'm actually paying attention to it, there's plenty of non-live games that are waiting for my dollars. I've probably bought at least 8 or 9 of them in the last month or so.

24. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 16:16 Creston

jdreyer wrote on May 8, 2019, 15:31:
You finished it? I heard it's something like 150 hours to finish.

Yeah, I think it was 130ish or so to get to the "True ending". I tend to leave games idling while I do other shit though, so I'm not sure how much of that I really played, but I think even if you hurry up you're easily looking at 90 hours or so.

And that's basically pretty much all main quest. There are 50ish sidequests, but they're the most basic Fedex shit you can imagine, and they take a few minutes each, so the large, large bulk of your playing time is spent on the main quest (which, to be fair, does start to drag quite a bit by the end.)

23. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 16:14 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on May 8, 2019, 14:25:
All this live services shit, I'll buy in two years when it maybe finally looks like an actual game.

That is exactly the way to go. I'm not even advocating full boycotts but anyone who is against GaaS and who wants to send publishers a message needs to vote with their wallets by buying bundled (GOTY/Gold/Definitive/whatever) or at least substantially more complete versions of a game.

It's the only power we have to let them know that it's not cool to release what is effectively a beta that can be continuously tinkered with as they please for many months or years even.

Yep, you are correct. I tried one live services game, and it was fucking garbage, so I am very well cured.

22. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 15:31 jdreyer

jdreyer wrote on May 8, 2019, 02:24:

I dunno, I think the game industry is fine as long as you avoid most of the major publishers. Creston, weren't you a Defense Grid junkie like me? Have you tried Stardock's Siege of Centauri? Still in early access, but a fun tower defense game set in the Ashes world.

Yeah and these are more and more the kind of games that I'm buying. (Once they're complete) All this live services shit, I'll buy in two years when it maybe finally looks like an actual game. I took a partial chance on one and it turned out to be a giant fucking turd, so that's it for live service games for me.

I've been on a JRPG kick, and both Dragon Quest XI and Ni No Kuni 2 were on huge sales recently, so I got both of those. Finished Dragon Quest XI so far, and it's pretty good.

You finished it? I heard it's something like 150 hours to finish.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

21. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 14:25 CJ_Parker

20. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 14:03 Kxmode

The snake speaks.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 12:39 El Pit

aka_STEVE wrote on May 8, 2019, 08:18:
I realize soccer is big in a lot of countries...

FTFY

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

18. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 11:08 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on May 7, 2019, 22:50:
You're not wrong, but on the flipside, there's not that much else being made anymore, is there? The entire gaming industry has now gone towards this model.

That's not true, what could be true is those games that haven't aren't of interest to you. I don't know what everyone considers GaaS, but DLC and MicroTrans, all three are different to me and GaaS doesn't have to be bad. I've played what I feel are a lot of big publisher games in the past two years and had fun with almost all of them and most I wouldn't consider GaaS. Anthem cut you deep.

17. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 08:18 aka_STEVE

45 million unique FIFA players is still mind boggling to me......

I realize soccer is big in a few countries but that number seems like mobile-phone game scam absurd levels.

"deliver on our commitment to players with deep live services content"
- I think most peoples' definition of 'deep' is very different than these corporate D-bags.

16. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 08:13 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on May 8, 2019, 07:33:
If you dont have an insane hatred for the Epic store, Id also suggest Satisfactory. Its absolutely incredible, even without the final two research tiers finished. Im constantly blown away about how HUGE my factories are, and yet the game runs smoothly. I also spent a couple hours exploring (there are four different types of items only obtainable with exploration, two of which are HUGELY useful).

I'll check it out, thanks

15. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 08:13 Creston

I dunno, I think the game industry is fine as long as you avoid most of the major publishers. Creston, weren't you a Defense Grid junkie like me? Have you tried Stardock's Siege of Centauri? Still in early access, but a fun tower defense game set in the Ashes world.

Yeah and these are more and more the kind of games that I'm buying. (Once they're complete) All this live services shit, I'll buy in two years when it maybe finally looks like an actual game. I took a partial chance on one and it turned out to be a giant fucking turd, so that's it for live service games for me.

I've been on a JRPG kick, and both Dragon Quest XI and Ni No Kuni 2 were on huge sales recently, so I got both of those. Finished Dragon Quest XI so far, and it's pretty good.

14. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 07:33 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on May 7, 2019, 19:53:
Here is the flipside of the live services industry.

I love how this article claims it's the players' fault too. As if the players were the ones who were pushing for this live services garbage where games get released 5% complete and you just have to hang on for two years before it finally turns into something decent.

It was the fucking game industry itself that wanted live services to try to stop people from returning games to Gamestop once they were done. And now waaaaah, all these live games are so much work. WELL FUCKING DUH???

The game industry has finally gone Full Retard. They don't even know what the fuck they're doing anymore.

If you dont have an insane hatred for the Epic store, Id also suggest Satisfactory. Its absolutely incredible, even without the final two research tiers finished. Im constantly blown away about how HUGE my factories are, and yet the game runs smoothly. I also spent a couple hours exploring (there are four different types of items only obtainable with exploration, two of which are HUGELY useful).

13. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 02:24 jdreyer

Creston wrote on May 7, 2019, 19:53:
Here is the flipside of the live services industry.

I love how this article claims it's the players' fault too. As if the players were the ones who were pushing for this live services garbage where games get released 5% complete and you just have to hang on for two years before it finally turns into something decent.

It was the fucking game industry itself that wanted live services to try to stop people from returning games to Gamestop once they were done. And now waaaaah, all these live games are so much work. WELL FUCKING DUH???

The game industry has finally gone Full Retard. They don't even know what the fuck they're doing anymore.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

12. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 01:14 Angrius Maximis

"We released the shittiest game of the year -- Anthem"  

11. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2019, 00:56 eRe4s3r

Translation: EA, the once mighty Publisher, is only alive because Fifa FUT and SIMS pays the bills.  

10. Re: EA Financials May 7, 2019, 23:38 Steele Johnson

I love all that bs hot air. EA is not doing well at all. I guarantee that their operating costs are higher than their quarterly revenue. Theyre finally on a massive tailspin and its going to take big changes to recover. You cant support that head count with just Madden. I feel bad for the hard working employees and have no sympathy for senior management.  

"The hardest thing to do is to be true to yourself, especially when everybody is watching." - Dave Chappelle

9. Re: EA Financials May 7, 2019, 22:50 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on May 7, 2019, 20:16:
Well, most people including yourself, Mr. Creston, keep validating publishers that they are on the right path because y'all keep preordering and/or buying GaaS games on release.
You validated EA by playing Anthem on release. Yeah, yeah... "but... but... but... it was only $15 for a one month sub!".
Sure but you still validated them and their sub model for Origin on top of it.

And I personally had fun with Anthem's demo. It took me unlocking the Storm to finally have fun, but I enjoyed that. I wasn't really expecting that the demo literally encompassed ALL the content there was to see in the entire fucking game. I was expecting to enjoy playing Anthem through at least once.

It's just hilarious that the gaming industry is complaining about how much work they are when THEY fucking chose to go 99.99% live service.

At least I've learned my lesson. Fuck live service games. Especially seeing that EA has now also said that they're basically going to keep releasing games in worthless shit mode and that gamers should just not expect anything rather than a functional launcher out of them anymore, apparently.

8. Re: EA Financials May 7, 2019, 22:14 jacobvandy

That's a lot of yapping about growth when the actual numbers show their profits are down compared to last year. And then their projection for next year shows profits will remain at almost exactly the same level as this year, except for a "one-time tax benefit" of $1.5 billion to inflate it. Basically a shell game, where they've put in for a transfer of ownership of some IP(s) overseas to their Swiss HQ (which is not yet final).  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo