Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Here's a consequence of our plans to move the BlueTower to a townhouse. They have rules there against using charcoal, so I am going to have to give up my beloved grill and get a propane model for Manstovia. I'm not overjoyed about this, but I will do my best to make do. I've read that a lot of the distinctive grilled flavor is actually from vaporized drippings, rather than anything given off by the charcoal itself, but this is a theory I've been unwilling to test all these years. On the bright side, grilling with gas has convenience benefits, so there's that. Another positive is that my grill was banished from the deck by MrsBlue years ago, but in the new setup the deck is the only place to put it, which will add another layer of convenience to the process.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Sunscreen Chemicals Soak All the Way Into Your Bloodstream.
Denver votes Tuesday on decriminalizing 'magic mushrooms.'
Science: Tiny T. rex is the terrible tyrant's pet-size prehistoric predecessor.
Antimatter keeps with quantum theory. Itís both particle and wave. Thanks Max.
Massive 10-Petawatt Laser Can Vaporize Matter. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Images: Chris Evans is sharing more pics and videos from the 'Avengers: Endgame' set.
Media: Game of Thrones Entire Timeline Explained.
Elephant breaks sprinkler and makes their own fountain. That's one happy pachy.
LEGO Particle Accelerator. The LBC.
Follow-up: HBO quietly removed the coffee cup from Game of Thrones.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 00:12 RedEye9

Ant wrote on May 12, 2019, 23:54:
PHJF wrote on May 7, 2019, 10:10:
Man why the fuck can't I just marathon Chernobyl???

Fuck you, HBO!
You could wait all five episodes are done airing and then binge watch?
Ants are known for heavy lifting, you just solved his problem.

off topic
Barry
S02E05 is by far the best episode yet imho. (That's as far I've gotten this season)

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2019, 23:54 Ant

Fuck you, HBO!
You could wait all five episodes are done airing and then binge watch?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2019, 23:52 Ant

RedEye9 wrote on May 8, 2019, 20:53:
Watch Chernobyl if you can.
The first episode was nut bleeding fantastic. Freak

Ditto.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2019, 21:06 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on May 8, 2019, 20:53:
That is a good thing?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2019, 20:53 RedEye9

Watch Chernobyl if you can.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2019, 06:46 Asmodai

If you're in the market for a gas grill, check out the quartz IR barbeques (radiant quart tech or RQT), where the gas heats up a quartz crystal half pipe which then radiates heat up to the food. As the meat cooks, the fat and juices drip down on the superheated quartz and then return as flavourful smoke. As a side note, the heat diffusion from the half pipe removes dull spots on the grill where gas elements would usually heat straight up and miss the bits in the middle. Another benefit is that the quartz mostly protects the element from direct exposure to salty drippings which can cause corrosion over time.

Alternately, you can get ceramic head holders to go over your grill which serve the same purpose (smoke creation and heat diffusion) but I prefer the simplicity of the quartz.

Strangely enough, I don't think the US has RQTs yet... = \

This is the advert blurb from BBQ's Galore in Aus,

https://youtu.be/m-O2L6hA_hk

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2019, 02:49 jdreyer

theglaze wrote on May 7, 2019, 20:39:
Evolving ones perspective(s) can be accelerated with a magic mush experience. A conservative amount can expand how you view yourself, those around you, and the world. Perhaps a frequency of once a year is enough for most people. And I'm overdue... Outtahere

Meditation can do the same, it just takes longer.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

21. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs May 8, 2019, 02:48 jdreyer

Stormsinger wrote on May 7, 2019, 19:06:
Blue, one thing to consider when switching to propane (or natural gas), in my experience, if you can still find a gas grill that uses a bed of lava rocks between the burners and the food, it does taste just like charcoal...minus any taste of lighter fluid. The more modern ones that use metal heat plates just don't get the same flavor.

But I like the taste of lighter fluid! They don't call it an aromatic hydrocarbon for nothing.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2019, 02:46 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on May 7, 2019, 17:03:
Blue, interesting that they allow for gas but not charcoal, eh? We downsized a few years ago and I had to part with my $1k PPG&E gas grill which we used for several years (I only remember the price because I asked myself at the time if I was crazy(!)--but it was almost totally stainless steel, and I figured why not as it was strictly out-door & deck exposed to the elements use)...! Held up beautifully. We used propane but here's the deal--you can buy things like hickory-smoked wood chips, and etc.--and/or use it as smoker--and these things work fine with the propane--Indeed, there are many things like this that are designed specifically for gas grills! You can even buy the little brickettes which the gas heats but which function like charcoal--but aren't charcoal--they are not flammable, themselves. The wood chips will burn, of course--but man when you smoke, the flavor of the wood accents like hickory comes through beautifully! The main, standout advantage? If you want you can cook *fast*--I did a lot of blackened steaks, almost tartare inside --mouth waters just thinking about 'em! Hope you enjoy it!...;)

This is the most delicious comment I think I've read on Blues.

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2019, 21:53 RedEye9

That is one happy elephant.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2019, 20:39 theglaze

Evolving ones perspective(s) can be accelerated with a magic mush experience. A conservative amount can expand how you view yourself, those around you, and the world. Perhaps a frequency of once a year is enough for most people. And I'm overdue... Outtahere

17. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs May 7, 2019, 19:06 Stormsinger

Blue, one thing to consider when switching to propane (or natural gas), in my experience, if you can still find a gas grill that uses a bed of lava rocks between the burners and the food, it does taste just like charcoal...minus any taste of lighter fluid. The more modern ones that use metal heat plates just don't get the same flavor.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue - grill May 7, 2019, 17:34 opie

often those only limit the grill on a deck, but not a driveway. grill out front.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2019, 17:06 WaltC

RedEye9 wrote on May 7, 2019, 12:15:
007Bistromath wrote on May 7, 2019, 11:24:
This thread has been blessed by Hank Hill.
I'll one up you and say it's Hank channelling a more benign waltc.

Why, Thank you, my good man...;) Yes, I took my "benign" tablets today, but the doctor assures me they are not malignant...;) (drum-roll, cymbal crash-that was a bad one...!*groan*)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2019, 17:03 WaltC

Blue, interesting that they allow for gas but not charcoal, eh? We downsized a few years ago and I had to part with my $1k PPG&E gas grill which we used for several years (I only remember the price because I asked myself at the time if I was crazy(!)--but it was almost totally stainless steel, and I figured why not as it was strictly out-door & deck exposed to the elements use)...! Held up beautifully. We used propane but here's the deal--you can buy things like hickory-smoked wood chips, and etc.--and/or use it as smoker--and these things work fine with the propane--Indeed, there are many things like this that are designed specifically for gas grills! You can even buy the little brickettes which the gas heats but which function like charcoal--but aren't charcoal--they are not flammable, themselves. The wood chips will burn, of course--but man when you smoke, the flavor of the wood accents like hickory comes through beautifully! The main, standout advantage? If you want you can cook *fast*--I did a lot of blackened steaks, almost tartare inside --mouth waters just thinking about 'em! Hope you enjoy it!...;)  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2019, 16:05 afka Rossini

Beamer wrote on May 7, 2019, 10:44:

Fuck you, HBO!

I'd be shocked if the streaming channels stick with large dumps for marathoning. It kills too much of their buzz. With Game of Thrones, they get 8-16 weeks of people talking about the show every single Monday. Everyone is synched together, so people talk and theorize a lot.

With Netflix shows, everything drops over a weekend. One person will stream the whole thing in that weekend. Another person will take a week to get through it all. Another person a month. None of these people can really talk to each other about it, because they're not synched and there are spoilers everywhere. So they won't talk much, won't theorize, won't guess at the plot, and the buzz for the show dies extremely quickly. Netflix had some buzzworthy shows when it first hit, due to it being novel, and it has Stranger Things (even the buzz there seems to die within about 4 weeks), but hasn't really broken through with anything else. I love Bojack, and was very positively surprised by Russian Doll, but feel like they're discussed less than more traditional (and worse) shows.

To your point about buzz, The Expanse was saved by the community built from the weekly release of each new episode. It'll be curious to see if Amazon continues that trend or drops the whole new season at once.

From the providers side, HBO will get two months worth of subscription out of me with GoT instead of one. Viva a la carte!

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2019, 15:36 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on May 7, 2019, 11:41:
He said since Colorado legalized marijuana, there had been a 151 percent increase in marijuana-related traffic fatalities, and that a survey found 60 percent of pot users admitted to driving while high. Hunt said 10 percent thought it made them drive better.

Really? That's nuts. Sounds like they need tougher laws in that case.

You have to understand what this actually means. There is no way to test for actively being under the influence of marijuana. Anytime you see a stat about marijuana and driving it refers to a person who was drug tested following an accident or other violation. The drug test for THC can detect THC in the system even a month after usage. By that specification, by he way the law sees it, I'm technically always driving high.

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2019, 15:06 Acleacius

High Ho, High Ho it's off to Denver I go! Ahoy  

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2019, 12:49 jdreyer

Here's an article I read yesterday about microdosing shrooms and LSD that was pretty interesting.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2019, 12:15 RedEye9

007Bistromath wrote on May 7, 2019, 11:24:
This thread has been blessed by Hank Hill.
I'll one up you and say it's Hank channelling a more benign waltc.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo