Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Tech Bits

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. W7 May 6, 2019, 01:20 Ant

W7 4ever.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2019, 15:06 Mr. Tact

Okay, I think that is impressive, even if it is as easy as you are implying. Please pass my compliments onto your mother.

It is also somewhat motivating. I have a three year old Dell laptop I could sacrifice to an attempt. So, Manjaro, right? What other major components will I need? Some sort of VM software for gaming? If you could offer your five minute version of what you think a reasonably competent PC person could follow, or point me at a website which would provide the information it would be appreciated. Free feel to email through Blue's if you prefer.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2019, 14:07 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on May 4, 2019, 08:57:
If your 67 year old mother, took a Windows laptop or a OS-less laptop and installed a functional Linux system and uses it without any problems, then I would gladly hail her as far more computer savvy than I am, despite the fact I made my living in the IT industry since 1988.

By your measure, she is more savvy than you. She swapped herself from Mint to Manjaro without my assistance while also managing to keep her existing home partition fully intact.

Giving her a laptop without an OS or Windows on it and telling her "Go install your preferred Linux distro" is as much of a challenge to her as baking a pone of cornbread these days. Linux is truly that easy now.

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2019, 08:57 Mr. Tact

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 3, 2019, 21:46:
Kain wrote on May 3, 2019, 13:14:
Thanks to GPU passthru its actually a pretty viable solution for gaming too.

This, so much fucking this. Fuck Windows as a primary OS. It. Is. Garbage. Features that Microsoft is touting as "new" have been in other, better OSes for, in some cases, more than a decade.

However, if GPU passthrough seems impossible, then check out Proton. Steam has it available by default on Linux. If you don't use Steam, you can also use Lutris+Proton which is stupidly easy to setup.

If you choose to stick with Windows, then you reap what you sow. I know I pimp Linux hard but it is easier now than at any point in history to transition over. Getting things done no longer requires you to ever touch the command line. My 67 year old mother uses Linux daily.

Are you really going to tell me that my 67 year old mother has better tech skills than you? If you're going to say "But BoP, I bet she only reads emails and uses the web", she would laugh at you. I would laugh at you. Your own mother would laugh at you. Right now, she's preserving, enhancing, and archiving some ancient audio recordings that were done on first gen reel to reel tapes from the 40s. Previous to that, she was working with vinyl from the 20s. All on her Linux based laptop.
If your 67 year old mother, took a Windows laptop or a OS-less laptop and installed a functional Linux system and uses it without any problems, then I would gladly hail her as far more computer savvy than I am, despite the fact I made my living in the IT industry since 1988.

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2019, 00:15 wtf_man

Mr. Tact wrote on May 3, 2019, 20:07:
wtf_man wrote on May 3, 2019, 19:22:
Unfortunately Blackbird has not been updated in a long long time, and I think it's no longer maintained.
Never heard of Blackbird prior to this, but according to what is on getblackbird.net it was updated on 26 April 2019. If it is still being maintained and does what it claims, that could be good to know. Their Patreon page is looking a little neglected...

Cool! Iíve used it on Win 10 2016 LTSB, but nothing newer since it looked like they stopped supporting it for a while.

Win 10 2019 LTSC + Blackbird maybe the new ez combo.

But Iím still more likely to go with a server OS if I replace Win 7 on my personal rig.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 21:57 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 3, 2019, 21:46:

This, so much fucking this. Fuck Windows as a primary OS. It. Is. Garbage. Features that Microsoft is touting as "new" have been in other, better OSes for, in some cases, more than a decade.

However, if GPU passthrough seems impossible, then check out Proton. Steam has it available by default on Linux. If you don't use Steam, you can also use Lutris+Proton which is stupidly easy to setup.

If you choose to stick with Windows, then you reap what you sow. I know I pimp Linux hard but it is easier now than at any point in history to transition over. Getting things done no longer requires you to ever touch the command line. My 67 year old mother uses Linux daily.

Are you really going to tell me that my 67 year old mother has better tech skills than you? If you're going to say "But BoP, I bet she only reads emails and uses the web", she would laugh at you. I would laugh at you. Your own mother would laugh at you. Right now, she's preserving, enhancing, and archiving some ancient audio recordings that were done on first gen reel to reel tapes from the 40s. Previous to that, she was working with vinyl from the 20s. All on her Linux based laptop.
I reported this conversation for the words "But BoP", your mother would be ashamed. She sounds cool

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 21:46 Burrito of Peace

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 21:35 Slush54

Ozmodan wrote on May 3, 2019, 14:27:
Personally for a gaming machine, running Windows 7 is just dumb. DX12 is going to be mandatory for next years big games it is almost mandatory now. Besides I find Windows 10 far more stable than Win 7. Maintaining my gfs Win 7 machine is a real pain sometimes and some software will just not run on it anymore and that is going to become more and more prevalent.

Not dumb if you don't play any of the shitty AAA games. Most games don't need DX12 and if you have no interest in AAA games Win7 is just fine.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 21:19 RedEye9

wtf_man wrote on May 3, 2019, 14:28:
RedEye9 wrote on May 3, 2019, 12:57:
wtf_man wrote on May 3, 2019, 11:04:
Sounds like you got it figured out.
I am thinking of nuking my W7 install on my HP laptop and restoring it back to day one.
Do you have a site that lists all of the telemetry updates to avoid?
Or will all that shit be impossible since they went cumulative...

Tlemetry Updated list

The first few rounds of installing windows updates will be indidvidual updates, however at some point it will start going to cumulative, which you will have to uninstall that cumulative update once it does that.Either avoid the KBs listed or uninstall them prior to the first cumulative update.

Hope that helps.
You rock, thanks!
And thanks for the BlackBird info.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 20:35 MattyC

Mr. Tact wrote on May 3, 2019, 20:07:
Unfortunately Blackbird has not been updated in a long long time, and I think it's no longer maintained.
Never heard of Blackbird prior to this, but according to what is on getblackbird.net it was updated on 26 April 2019. If it is still being maintained and does what it claims, that could be good to know. Their Patreon page is looking a little neglected...

While it takes some research and work the first time, you can take all the garbage out of 10 yourself even if your arenít super tech savvy. Once you have done it, it is relatively quick to repeat on another machine. Now, it is incredibly stupid that you have to do that, but it makes 10 usable and you get to see exactly what you are doing to your machine.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 20:07 Mr. Tact

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 19:22 wtf_man

Joss wrote on May 3, 2019, 19:18:
Well, I said I was going to wait until 2020, but I had a lazy weekend and installed Win 10.
Didn't make an account with Microsoft upon finishing the install, and quickly got Blackbird on there to neutralize Cortana & all the telemetry bullshit. So far so good.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 19:18 Joss

Well, I said I was going to wait until 2020, but I had a lazy weekend and installed Win 10.
Didn't make an account with Microsoft upon finishing the install, and quickly got Blackbird on there to neutralize Cortana & all the telemetry bullshit. So far so good.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 18:58 PacoTaco

I have downgraded 3 machines from 10 to 7 to get better performance, developing and playing games. You know what DX12 provides. Not a fucking thing. Windows 10 is spyware.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 16:18 Mr. Tact

Ozmodan wrote on May 3, 2019, 14:27:
Personally for a gaming machine, running Windows 7 is just dumb. DX12 is going to be mandatory for next years big games it is almost mandatory now. Besides I find Windows 10 far more stable than Win 7. Maintaining my gfs Win 7 machine is a real pain sometimes and some software will just not run on it anymore and that is going to become more and more prevalent.

"going to be" -- hasn't been an issue for me yet. As far as stability goes, it has been far more stable than the Win10 machines which got some of the recent updates...

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 14:28 wtf_man

RedEye9 wrote on May 3, 2019, 12:57:
wtf_man wrote on May 3, 2019, 11:04:
Sounds like you got it figured out.
I am thinking of nuking my W7 install on my HP laptop and restoring it back to day one.
Do you have a site that lists all of the telemetry updates to avoid?
Or will all that shit be impossible since they went cumulative...

Tlemetry Updated list

The first few rounds of installing windows updates will be indidvidual updates, however at some point it will start going to cumulative, which you will have to uninstall that cumulative update once it does that.Either avoid the KBs listed or uninstall them prior to the first cumulative update.

Hope that helps.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 14:27 Ozmodan

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 13:45 Kain

Smitten  

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 13:41 RedEye9

Cool THANKS!  

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2019, 13:14 Kain

It just works until January 14 2020 at which point it goes completely End of Life and won't even receive security updates anymore. It's not a long term solution for people anymore. I get the whole "rarrr Microsoft!" thing because they really flubbed it for a few years there but at this point its very easy to disable telemetry in Windows 10 and as a bonus you won't be an involuntary part of a Russian botnet for the 2020 election

If people really want to run Windows 7 I suggest at least doing so in a VM so its easier to deal with the security implications and "re-install" if necessary. Thanks to GPU passthru its actually a pretty viable solution for gaming too.

To disable telemetry updates individually on Windows 7/10, there's a huge list on github.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo