Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Tech Bits

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 6, 2019, 01:07 Ant

tanith wrote on Apr 30, 2019, 05:14:
Simon Says wrote on Apr 30, 2019, 03:39:
tanith wrote on Apr 30, 2019, 02:45:
Without having even clicked on the "Macs are SLOWER [...]" link: Macs ARE PCs.

If Macs are PCs, iPhones are Androids.

Why is a Mac not a PC? A PC is just a personal computer. That is what PC still for. It's not IBM PC compatible anymore. Saying "Macs are slower than PCs" is like saying Ford is slower than cars. What? That doesn't make any sense.
Ditto.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2019, 13:14 Steele Johnson

Creston wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 23:33:
Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 22:48:
My gaming machine is a big black box. The only light I have on it is the disk activity indicator. It’s cool, it’s quiet, and doesn’t attract attention. It hides in the shadows.

On the other hand, my display, keyboard, mouse, and mousepad is basically like sitting in front of a tacky 1970s Christmas tree.

At least you're honest about it. Heh.

Doesn't that bother you, all those lights when you're gaming? They drive me insane. I put tape over every little light on my keyboard.

Nah, you can control the leds. In fact, the bias lighting on the back of my monitor actually helps my eyes. As far as the keyboard goes, I just turn that stuff down when I use it and they're not very bright either way (Christmas tree was an exaggeration). It really just makes my desk seem really high tech even though my gaming rig is 6 years old haha

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 30, 2019, 12:44 Mr. Tact

I'd just like to take a moment and say again, I am so happy I have never given Apple a single penny.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: This PC wouldn’t boot... you’ll never guess why Apr 30, 2019, 06:19 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 19:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 19:07:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 13:38:
All my fans are RGB and my new 1660Ti has an RGB strip in the shroud for the fans at the top of the card. If anything, this is nothing more than an evolution from the old CCT days from 20 years ago.

I used my RGB fans as system indicator lights. One acts as a drive activity light, one is a heat warning, another is network activity, and so on.

You know how many LED's my gaming rig has?

the power button

The rest of it is a well cooled, noise insulated steel fortress. Which is how you can tell I built my rig myself Because my rig is just like my heart. Dark, tungsten steel coated fluffiness.
I only buy windowed cases with RGB fans, RGB motherboards, RGB memory and RGB ssd's.
Then I mask off the dvd and power led's and dip the whole thing in VantaBlack.
https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r4-black-pearl
ftw

I actually have one of those cases sitting on my surplus shelves. It's a nice enough case, it just doesn't have enough airflow if you fill it full of spinning rust drives so I had to shelve it for a bit. It will, however, be a nice little case for Mrs. Burrito's future PC build which will have a single SSD.

My PC sits in a server rack on the other side of a full height wall from my desk so I don't see the lights directly otherwise it would probably bother me.

Even so, I did it as a "what if I could..." type of project. They all came with the new case that arrived before the new GPU so I figured what the Hell. I've even made them "dance" to music beats by passing peak values across from a waveform spectrum analyzer (the one built in to Audacious is ridiculously accessible). Dog knows I wouldn't do any sort of lighting for "gamer" shit.

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 30, 2019, 05:39 Simon Says

tanith wrote on Apr 30, 2019, 05:14:

Why is a Mac not a PC? A PC is just a personal computer. That is what PC still for. It's not IBM PC compatible anymore. Saying "Macs are slower than PCs" is like saying Ford is slower than cars. What? That doesn't make any sense.

What doesn't make any sense is calling anything Apple "personal".

Personal is something you can, almost, infinitely customize and modify. Good luck with that with anything Apple.

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 30, 2019, 05:14 tanith

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 30, 2019, 03:39 Simon Says

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 30, 2019, 02:45 tanith

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 30, 2019, 00:39 Luke

Samsung thinks Samsung want vertical tv's.....  

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 29, 2019, 23:33 Creston

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 22:48:
My gaming machine is a big black box. The only light I have on it is the disk activity indicator. It’s cool, it’s quiet, and doesn’t attract attention. It hides in the shadows.

On the other hand, my display, keyboard, mouse, and mousepad is basically like sitting in front of a tacky 1970s Christmas tree.

At least you're honest about it. Heh.

Doesn't that bother you, all those lights when you're gaming? They drive me insane. I put tape over every little light on my keyboard.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 29, 2019, 22:48 Steele Johnson

15. Re: This PC wouldn’t boot... you’ll never guess why Apr 29, 2019, 21:09 Mordecai Walfish

All my fans are RGB and my new 1660Ti has an RGB strip in the shroud for the fans at the top of the card. If anything, this is nothing more than an evolution from the old CCT days from 20 years ago.

I used my RGB fans as system indicator lights. One acts as a drive activity light, one is a heat warning, another is network activity, and so on.

the power button

The rest of it is a well cooled, noise insulated steel fortress. Which is how you can tell I built my rig myself Because my rig is just like my heart. Dark, tungsten steel coated fluffiness.

Ditto. And even the power LED has dark colored masking tape over it on my tower to dim the overly bright LED there.
First thing I did when I got my first (and last..) Razer mouse recently was to shut off all that chroma shit so my mouse stopped glowing. When gaming I don't like the distractions, especially.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 29, 2019, 20:19 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 18:58:
Samsung thinks millennials want vertical TVs.

Rocket launches and long document editing. That's the only time you should use a vertical screen.

Humans evolved as plains dwellers. Viewing the world in landscape mode is our default setting.

Beyond the clickbait headline, they explain this new TV rotates to support horizontal or vertical, which is meant for embiggulating things from your smartphone screen/camera. A niche usage befitting its place in Samsung's line of designer TVs that cost 5x the normal price because they're made to look nice even when not in use, like high-end furniture.

13. Re: This PC wouldn’t boot... you’ll never guess why Apr 29, 2019, 19:59 RedEye9

the power button

I only buy windowed cases with RGB fans, RGB motherboards, RGB memory and RGB ssd's.
Then I mask off the dvd and power led's and dip the whole thing in VantaBlack.
https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r4-black-pearl
ftw

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

12. Re: This PC wouldn’t boot... you’ll never guess why Apr 29, 2019, 19:07 eRe4s3r

the power button

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 29, 2019, 18:58 jdreyer

Samsung thinks millennials want vertical TVs.

Rocket launches and long document editing. That's the only time you should use a vertical screen.

Humans evolved as plains dwellers. Viewing the world in landscape mode is our default setting.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 29, 2019, 18:12 Simon Says

whitelined wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 16:33:
Used the optical intellimouse for work about 20 years ago, the extra buttons mapped to common AutoCAD keys, made my job so much faster, and mouse just felt perfect for my hand. Makes me think I should replace my current work mouse, which is some dell thing.

Steelseries Kana is an Intellimouse "clone", I've been using it for a few years now. The right side button placement could be better, but it gets the job done.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 29, 2019, 16:33 whitelined

Used the optical intellimouse for work about 20 years ago, the extra buttons mapped to common AutoCAD keys, made my job so much faster, and mouse just felt perfect for my hand. Makes me think I should replace my current work mouse, which is some dell thing.  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 29, 2019, 15:34 MattyC

I could be remembering wrong but I feel like 16MB of RAM was pretty low even in 1999...

At any rate I still have one of those original intellimice. I rarely use it for anything but it does work.

7. Re: This PC wouldn’t boot... you’ll never guess why Apr 29, 2019, 13:38 Burrito of Peace

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo