Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

I have mixed feelings about the Battle for Winterfell in Game of Thrones. I'll stay general to avoid spoilers, I'll just say as a fan of action shows and action movies, there's such a thing as too much action, especially when so much of it takes place in the darkness. 80 minutes is probably nearing that limit for me. But it is nice to get increasing levels of closure on the show after eight years. Though it is still shocking how fast the final season is unfolding, as we're already through with half the episodes. Valar dohaeris!

R.I.P.: Richard Lugar, who helped in securing Soviet arsenal, dies.

Links of Thrones: Thanks Ant.
Play: Volcano Dungeon of Dread.
Links: With its latest battle, Game of Thrones solidifies its seat on TVs VFX throne.
Unko Museum: Nothing wrong with a little toilet humor.
Stories: Deaf hiker falls 700 feet, but when rescuers finally find her, she isnt alone.
Police Raided Company Selling $30 Million Of Knock-Off Legos. Thanks RedEye9.
Images: Photographer Shoots Epic Battle Between Fox And Eagle Over Rabbit. Thanks Max.
Media: Guess That Song In Reverse Challenge: Video Game Themes.
The Design Problems Of This Berlin Airport Are So Terrible That It's Almost Funny.
Brayton Point Cooling Towers Implosion (Somerset, MA).
Follow-up: Boeing 737 Max- Airlines say groundings taking millions from profits.
Burger King plans to roll out Impossible Whopper across the United States.
View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2019, 13:28 Kxmode

Simon Says wrote on Apr 30, 2019, 02:34:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 30, 2019, 00:25:
Simon Says wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 19:02:
Episode 3 was EPIC, I was on the edge of my seat all the way through, adrenaline pumping and biting my lips.

This episode will, AFAIC, go down in history with the likes of LOTR and co.

When Jon runs up to the NK and he raise the dead after they gave it their all I was literally yelling, "You cheater! Someone kick this guy from the raid!!"

Yup, I thought "Ahhhh, common... Fight him instead!"

Right?! Especially when he was using the universal gesture for "come at me bro!"

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2019, 08:44 panbient

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 21:48:

I laud them for rolling out a more animal and planet friendly burger, but you have to wonder who might order it. Burger King is probably the last consideration for people that eat vegan.

Total anecdote but I had a friend that I played music with about a decade ago. Nothing serious, Friday night jams after work. Right after work - so we'd routinely pick up fast food on the way to our practice space.

He ALWAYS wanted to go to BK for their veggie burger and called it the best veggie patty he'd tasted.

And A&W here in Canada came out with an impossible burger last summer that seemed rather popular. It might not change our minds / perceptions of fast food grease pits, but for younger generations they might start seeing those places as a bit more than the stereotype.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2019, 07:50 Simon Says

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 30, 2019, 04:08:
Yeah I have a feeling that Martin deliberately left some things unsaid when he explained the ending of the series to the show producers so that he could wrap these things up in the books. (If he ever finishes them)

With that said one key character is still alive who could potentially "explain" all of those mysteries to the others, after all we still have three more episodes to go.

I quite liked the episode, all in all, though I feel letting most of the key characters survive felt like a bit of a cop out considering how much of a beating their armies took.

I also think that Martin may not have decided everything yet too. He isn't a planner, as he says, he's more of a gardener. He doesn't always know exactly how he's gonna get where approximately he wants to go and I suspect he sometimes change idea on where he wants to go while on the way there.

As for not enough main characters dying, I think this has to do with the people running the show's philosophy. I'm under the impression they want the deaths of main characters to have some meaning.

Beric's death is a perfect example of this, same for Jorah's ( to a lesser extent ). When Beric died we all understood why he had been "kept alive" all this time. He was needed to snap Clegane out of it so they could both save Arya's ass so she could kill the NK. Once his purpose had been fulfilled, he died. It was perfect.

Same for Melisandre, why was she kept alive all this time? Just to remind Arya that she would shut brown, green and most importantly BLUE eyes forever.

I thought the way they wrapped those 3 intertwined characters arcs was masterful.

So yes, they kill less main characters, but when they do, it really means something.

46. Re: Out of the Blue - Boeing Apr 30, 2019, 07:00 Jonjonz

Is "To big to fail" Boeing soon to be asking for and getting corporate welfare? Details at 11...

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2019, 04:08 VaranDragon

Simon Says wrote on Apr 30, 2019, 02:37:
The Pyro wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 15:46:
Unfortunately, for me GoT is wrapping up in about the same way as Lost. It's an ending, but it's not a very satisfying one because they haven't wrapped up all the various plot lines (the return of magic, birth of the dragons, the significance of the comet, the return of the others, R'hllor, why anyone should care about saving the three-eyed raven) in a way that makes sense.

That's what the books will be for... I'm glad, it will leave something to look forward to ( in a decade or 2 at this rate, kidding ) after the TV serie is over. I doubt Martin will just leave all those threads hanging.

Yeah I have a feeling that Martin deliberately left some things unsaid when he explained the ending of the series to the show producers so that he could wrap these things up in the books. (If he ever finishes them)

With that said one key character is still alive who could potentially "explain" all of those mysteries to the others, after all we still have three more episodes to go.

I quite liked the episode, all in all, though I feel letting most of the key characters survive felt like a bit of a cop out considering how much of a beating their armies took.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2019, 02:37 Simon Says

Unfortunately, for me GoT is wrapping up in about the same way as Lost. It's an ending, but it's not a very satisfying one because they haven't wrapped up all the various plot lines (the return of magic, birth of the dragons, the significance of the comet, the return of the others, R'hllor, why anyone should care about saving the three-eyed raven) in a way that makes sense.

That's what the books will be for... I'm glad, it will leave something to look forward to ( in a decade or 2 at this rate, kidding ) after the TV serie is over. I doubt Martin will just leave all those threads hanging.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2019, 02:34 Simon Says

Kxmode wrote on Apr 30, 2019, 00:25:
Episode 3 was EPIC, I was on the edge of my seat all the way through, adrenaline pumping and biting my lips.

When Jon runs up to the NK and he raise the dead after they gave it their all I was literally yelling, "You cheater! Someone kick this guy from the raid!!"

Yup, I thought "Ahhhh, common... Fight him instead!"

42. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2019, 02:19 RedEye9

Boeing is following Microsoft's lead by letting the customer test the product.
The planemaker said it didnt purposefully deactivate a warning meant to show if two angle-of-attack vanes provided conflicting data to aircraft flight computers. But the alert only functioned if operators purchased a separate optional indicator, Boeing said in a statement Monday

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2019, 00:25 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

40. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2019, 00:19 Kxmode

afka Rossini wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 14:38:
I enjoyed GoT last night and thought the pacing was great. There were enough breaks in the action to keep it from getting tedious. It was fast 80 minutes.

Jivaro wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 13:23:
Side note: I don't understand all the complaints about the GOT episode being too dark. We didn't turn out the lights and it was great. Is this just a case of most people not knowing how to set up their TV for the room it's in because I have horrible night vision and I still thought the lighting was fine.

I had the too dark problem and just switched to 'game' (brighter) picture mode. Then it was fine.

There's a Chrome Extension called Video Styler that I use to bring much-needed color to "The Man In The High Castle." It worked perfectly for this episode. Still, I appreciate the direction the director chose. War is a grueling business, and it's never clean or in anyone's favor as the episode so clearly pointed out for both sides. I'm glad the director chose realism even if one-side of the battlefield was pure fantasy.

39. Re: Game of Thrones Apr 30, 2019, 00:15 Kxmode

I think the theme of this episode is best summed up with "Ashes. Ashes. We all fall down."  

38. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2019, 23:35 Creston

SunnyD wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 21:31:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 20:26:
Creston wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 10:44:
Sue Boeing sue
Boeing inferno
Sue Boeing sue

Assholes. Burn.

Not quite a haiku. How about this?

Boeing cut safety.
Crash. Burn. All planes grounded.
Boeing inferno.

Try reading that bit, but with the disco tune Disco Inferno playing in the background of your mind. Cripes I'm old... er.

~Finis~

Thumbsup

37. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2019, 22:01 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 21:58:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 21:35:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 21:26:
Boeing is too big to fail. You won't see anyone go to jail, and if civil lawsuits get too burdensome, you'll see either a government bailout or a retroactive law limiting aircraft death awards.

Welcome to the corporatocracy, where corporations are people except for liability.
If the 737 Maxs were permanently grounded (not going to happen) Boeing might survive it, but it wouldn't be easy. But totally agree on a lack of accountability among Boeing's employees.
There's also the national security aspect. Boeing is the second largest defense contractor in the US after Lockheed Martin. They make the F-15, F-18, Apache gunship, AWACS, Air Force One, V-22 Osprey, tankers, drones, C-17, etc. etc. You may have heard of one or two of those. There's no way that the government will lose that capability.
too big to fail

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2019, 22:00 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 21:48:
I laud them for rolling out a more animal and planet friendly burger, but you have to wonder who might order it. Burger King is probably the last consideration for people that eat vegan.
It ain't just for earth huggers, that thing is gonna sell like hotcakes.
My favorite ovo barista was chowing down when I noticed a mickey dees wrapper. Egg Mcmuffin, hold the ham

people gotta eat no matter what they don't eat

35. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2019, 21:58 jdreyer

Boeing is too big to fail. You won't see anyone go to jail, and if civil lawsuits get too burdensome, you'll see either a government bailout or a retroactive law limiting aircraft death awards.

Welcome to the corporatocracy, where corporations are people except for liability.
If the 737 Maxs were permanently grounded (not going to happen) Boeing might survive it, but it wouldn't be easy. But totally agree on a lack of accountability among Boeing's employees.
There's also the national security aspect. Boeing is the second largest defense contractor in the US after Lockheed Martin. They make the F-15, F-18, Apache gunship, AWACS, Air Force One, V-22 Osprey, tankers, drones, C-17, etc. etc. You may have heard of one or two of those. There's no way that the government will lose that capability.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2019, 21:48 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

33. The plane is fine, it's the Pilots fault dummy Apr 29, 2019, 21:41 RedEye9

The talking heads at Boeing switched to full-bore Blame Shifting mode after being chastened by shareholders while meeting with the legal department.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47980959
The new duct-taped 737 will be the bestest eva

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2019, 21:35 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2019, 21:34 1badmf

Unfortunately, for me GoT is wrapping up in about the same way as Lost. It's an ending, but it's not a very satisfying one because they haven't wrapped up all the various plot lines (the return of magic, birth of the dragons, the significance of the comet, the return of the others, R'hllor, why anyone should care about saving the three-eyed raven) in a way that makes sense. There are no new insights into why these things happened; it's like the writers just threw in a bunch of stuff that sounded cool.

Admittedly I've been spoiled lately by reading Sanderson novels. Endings are among the strongest qualities of his work.

EDIT: I enjoyed the opening scenes and the tension quite a bit. There was some good cinematography in there. The darkness complaints I also totally understand; streaming viewers got shafted by video compression at low bitrates. The compression algorithms turn dark stuff into a blotchy, muddy mess.

i agree - this episode embodies all my gripes about GoT. sacrifices storytelling at the altar of spectacle. i feel like this is becoming increasingly common in movies/tv these days. i blame abrams.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2019, 21:31 SunnyD

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 20:26:
Creston wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 10:44:
Sue Boeing sue
Boeing inferno
Sue Boeing sue

Assholes. Burn.

Not quite a haiku. How about this?

Boeing cut safety.
Crash. Burn. All planes grounded.
Boeing inferno.

Try reading that bit, but with the disco tune Disco Inferno playing in the background of your mind. Cripes I'm old... er.

~Finis~

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >