Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Saturday Patches

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 29, 2019, 10:32 Beamer

I wish I could remember who kept arguing with me, insisting that NS2 would be the best game ever made, absolutely change the face of gaming, and destroy the CoD franchise single-handedly.

I think it was ASEVEN. That guy also used to insist to me that we were in the midst of a video game crash, that EA would crater (it's actually up 300% over the past 5 years), and then disappeared when he went full-on GamerGater.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 29, 2019, 07:28 PHJF

The engine was the biggest issue. For the longest time, any game that was played to its end (with alien infestation spreading everywhere) brought frame rates to a standstill.

Their custom engine just wasn't good enough.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 28, 2019, 02:40 Muscular Beaver

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 28, 2019, 01:34:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 27, 2019, 23:00:
Hrm, I wish NS2 had caught on a bit more, but it just required too much teamwork, or map knowledge/mechanics knowledge or something, it never seemed like it really took off, in terms of player count.

it was quite popular for a while, but people lost patience with the 2-5minute map loading times, which is understandable. it launched with some severe technical issues that turned people off from a otherwise wonderful game. hard to recover from that when you have your chance in the spotlight, as they did at release. it sold *very* well. we would not have subnautica now if it didnt perform as well as it did on launch. with the rate of new "blockbuster" games coming out, its easy to get swept under as the new flavor of the month arrives, especially with said technical issues.

if you like teamwork (and players who are willing to play as a team to succeed) it is still one of the best multiplayer games out there.
Felt too much like NS1 at the end... "Balance patches" actually destroyed the balance.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 28, 2019, 01:34 Mordecai Walfish

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 27, 2019, 23:00:
Hrm, I wish NS2 had caught on a bit more, but it just required too much teamwork, or map knowledge/mechanics knowledge or something, it never seemed like it really took off, in terms of player count.

it was quite popular for a while, but people lost patience with the 2-5minute map loading times, which is understandable. it launched with some severe technical issues that turned people off from a otherwise wonderful game. hard to recover from that when you have your chance in the spotlight, as they did at release. it sold *very* well. we would not have subnautica now if it didnt perform as well as it did on launch. with the rate of new "blockbuster" games coming out, its easy to get swept under as the new flavor of the month arrives, especially with said technical issues.

if you like teamwork (and players who are willing to play as a team to succeed) it is still one of the best multiplayer games out there.

1. Re: Saturday Patches Apr 27, 2019, 23:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo