Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Well, the Giants got their quarterback in the first round of the NFL draft last night. This was my expressed hope, which reinforces the old warning to be careful what you wish for. After preaching the "best player available" mantra, they made the biggest reach in the draft, taking Duke's Daniel Jones sixth overall. It appears no one but the Giants thought this was the move, as they passed on couple of top-rated defenders and a much-higher rated passer to make it. On the other hand, Tom Brady was a sixth-round pick, so the experts can be spectacularly wrong at times, so I'll just hope this is one of them. It seems quite striking that they selected a player who seems almost identical to Eli Manning both physically, and in makeup. Anyway, I'll certainly be very happy if I can look back on this draft some day and laugh at how wrong we all were about this pick. Here's some odd related trivia: This is the third year in a row that the Giants drafted the QB who was the MVP in the Senior Bowl.

Duke Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Pretzel Day 2019: Where to Get Freebies and Deals, Pretzelmaker, Wetzel's Pretzels, Philly Pretzel Factory.
"Avengers: Endgame" Box Office Preps for Record $850M-$900M Global Bow.
Opioid Epidemic: One West Virginia Doctor’s Redemption. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Ice-proof coating for big structures relies on a 'beautiful demonstration of mechanics'. Thanks RedEye9.
One Step Closer to Artificial Lymph Nodes. Thanks Max.
New type of plastic is a recycling dream.
Media: Dark matter detector observes rarest event ever recorded. Thanks Max.
This Is the First-Ever Simulation of an Entire Gene.
Hubblecast 120 Light: Continued Discrepancy in the Universe's Expansion Rate. Thanks RedEye9.
The Funnies: Adult Children.
Laundry Basket.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2019, 22:12 jdreyer

One Step Closer to Artificial Lymph Nodes.

Hopefully they won't serve as a cancer vector.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2019, 16:59 1badmf

Jivaro wrote on Apr 26, 2019, 15:22:
The weirdest part about the Giants pick was when they did it. Two first round draft picks, 6 and 17 (I think it was 17 or thereabouts) Now, they had so many phenomenal players to choose from at 6 and they chose a quarterback that most likely still would have been available in the 2nd round but definitely would have still been available at 17.

If they think that Jones is their man that is great, but wow....they could have easily drafted a monster DL or DB at 6 and then picked up Jones later on in the round. I suppose it is possible that they knew one of the other teams was after Jones but that seems unlikely.

Hopefully for the Giants he is as good as they obviously think he is.

exactly. any halfway decent fantasy player knows, it's less about talent and more about how late you can wait to draft a player. any GM that drafts based purely on perceived talent shows they have no understanding of the complexities of draft strategy and have no business being a GM. it's like when the raiders used a top ten pick on darius heyward-bey - a 2nd or 3rd rd WR in everyone else's eyes. even if they were right and he was a world beater (he wasn't) it was still a fail pick cuz they could've used the pick on a legit stud and STILL gotten him later.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2019, 15:22 Jivaro

The weirdest part about the Giants pick was when they did it. Two first round draft picks, 6 and 17 (I think it was 17 or thereabouts) Now, they had so many phenomenal players to choose from at 6 and they chose a quarterback that most likely still would have been available in the 2nd round but definitely would have still been available at 17.

If they think that Jones is their man that is great, but wow....they could have easily drafted a monster DL or DB at 6 and then picked up Jones later on in the round. I suppose it is possible that they knew one of the other teams was after Jones but that seems unlikely.

Hopefully for the Giants he is as good as they obviously think he is.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2019, 14:35 jonbly

> ...a player who seems almost identical to Eli Manning both physically, and in makeup.

Really? Do you have pics of them both in makeup?

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2019, 12:37 theglaze

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 26, 2019, 10:01:
Didn't even have to use a telescope. amazeballs

Whoa! It will be one of the brightest near-miss objects ever witnessed by humans.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2019, 11:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

The Giants oganization has been terrible for over a decade in terms of their planning, drafting and trading. Nothing to see here, they've fucked up yet again.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2019, 11:18 Cutter

Yeah, everyone was looking for D players. That Luke Bryne guy is pretty funny.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2019, 10:38 Beamer

Haskins would have been a terrible choice. Between his father trying to control his career, and him showing up to the combine out of weight, there's a reason so many passed on him.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2019, 10:20 JoeNapalm

I dunno about all this sports talk, here, Blue...

...could you pretend this is about Madden, maybe?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2019, 10:01 RedEye9

Amazon brought in a record $3.6 billion in profit during the first quarter of 2019, more than doubling its profit from a year ago and continuing its streak of record-breaking earnings.
yoinks

Didn't even have to use a telescope. amazeballs

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2019, 09:47 PHJF

Oh man, I can get a free pretzel on Thursday, April 26th?!?

2029 can not come soon enough!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo